Hide
4 Posts

The Guns of Gettysburg» Forums » Rules

Subject: March movement example on page 8 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
gehazi mann
msg tools
I'm probably missing a rule, but I'm having a hard time understanding the illustrated example of march movement at the top of page 8.

I get that the top Union unit can't move (even to pivot), since it is already in an enemy field of fire.

I get that the right Union unit can move, since it isn't currently in a field of fire, and that once it hits the obstructed position it must stop, since it is then in a field of fire. Question about the optional Fully Obstructed rule: since the rules gives exceptions only for adjacent or enemy occupied positions, it seems that the right Union unit example is still correct with that optional in effect. Is that correct?

But what I don't get is the left Union unit. The example shows it moving into a position adjacent to the defending Confederate, but isn't the area it moves through part of the Confederate's extended field of fire? Isn't the left Union troop then already in an enemy field of fire and thus cannot march?

Since I suspect I am missing a crucial rule, I'd appreciate help in understanding what, exactly, it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Parrott
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the example the red block's position doesn't have a ridge symbol so there is no extended field of fire. The only field of fire it has is the area directly to its front. The blue block on the left isn't crossing a field of fire but is moving to a position adjacent to the red block so must halt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gehazi mann
msg tools
Awesome, that's what I had missed, the distinction between extended front areas and extended fields of fire. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich James
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gehazi wrote:
Question about the optional Fully Obstructed rule: since the rules gives exceptions only for adjacent or enemy occupied positions, it seems that the right Union unit example is still correct with that optional in effect. Is that correct?

Yes, that is correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.