Hide
9 Posts

The Guns of Gettysburg» Forums » General

Subject: Team Play rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
gehazi mann
msg tools
Has anyone yet tried team play? It looks quite interesting and is something I'd love to give a shot at some point, but I'd like to hear impressions from those who have attempted it. I'm guessing the game is somewhat longer, although depending on the players the reduction of information might speed things up.

It also seems like it might be an effective way to teach the game and have a fun time while doing so: tag two experienced players as commanders for each side and tag two new players as subordinates. Review the movement rules with the new players and start it up!

One question I had about the rules: it's specified that the subordinate cannot look at the battle token tray or reinforcements before they enter, but it's not specified whether the commander can look at the blocks on the board before a battle is engaged? I would assume he can, but would prefer something more definitive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kluck
United States
Hudson
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since the general needs to know where his forces are to issue orders to his subordinate and that guy isn't allowed to communicate with the general it'd be absurd if he wasn't allowed to see them.

But it'd be funny to play that way anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gehazi mann
msg tools
You'd have to add the ability for a sub to send messages back about troop placements, etc. Or just depend on the ability of the commander to direct troop movement and the sub to respond appropriately... It's doubtful that Lee/Meade knew precisely where each troop was at all times. But thinking about this strategy/tactics split breaks down as soon as you realize that the commander has to handle the very tactical job of token play.

I'm hoping to get the game played as a 2p next week, and if that works well I'll shoot for trying a team play option soonish after that. I'll do my best to session report it if I can get it done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel Simmons
United States
Los Altos
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
gehazi wrote:
One question I had about the rules: it's specified that the subordinate cannot look at the battle token tray or reinforcements before they enter, but it's not specified whether the commander can look at the blocks on the board before a battle is engaged? I would assume he can, but would prefer something more definitive.

The commander can look at the blocks on the board. He can see everything that the player for his side in a non-team game can see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Bohne
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hm, probably the less experienced player will only watch the expert play. If there are questions, the other team may be tipped off to any plans or to the position of certain blocks...? Sceptical...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
9 92 33 JOFA
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dasher47051 wrote:
Hm, probably the less experienced player will only watch the expert play. If there are questions, the other team may be tipped off to any plans or to the position of certain blocks...? Sceptical...
This is the optional team play method presented at the end of the rules, which avoids the problem you describe, though it does introduce several complications to effective coordination that are obviously not present in the standard game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gehazi mann
msg tools
I've delved into the rules a little more and started some solo working through the system. I still think this may work as way to teach/learn the game, but while backwards-sounding it may be better to assign the new players as the Commanders and the experienced players as Subordinates. The block play and movement rules appear more complicated than the battle token play, and even someone brand new to the game could write decent grand strategic messages, ("Advance Seminary"), vital reinforce data ("Hooker Taney 10am"), or artillery support information ("Artillery supports Early, Hood") with minimal instruction. An experienced subordinate could use this information more easily than than an inexperienced subordinate, who is likely to still be grasping at attack rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel Simmons
United States
Los Altos
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
gehazi wrote:
vital reinforce data ("Hooker Taney 10am")

That news would be a shock to all concerned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gehazi mann
msg tools
>.> I meant Howard of course. Yikes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.