Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Colin West
United States
Woodford
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are all players made aware of all special circumstances for a tile? ie on tile one chapter one there is a special search for a tinker. Now obviously the person setting everything up knows that this is the case, but are you supposed to make everyone aware of all special circumstances on the tile.

I can see two arguments and would like the communities input
1. It's fair that if the reader knows that everyone should know

2. If you are trying to be "realistic" you would have no idea that a space would have anything special about it unless you checked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Channell
Australia
Townsville
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Test
I thought exactly the same thing. I really didn't want to tell anyone but I decided that because I was playing with kids, they definitely needed all the information.

In saying that. I think this would add an extra layer of realism if nothing was said. Even add a tone when reading to inform there is a hidden treasure on the room. Much like Legend of Zelda and the compass.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Greenley
United States
Harleysville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Greetings Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the game was designed with the intention that all players would know all the details about a room when entered, including the special searches. In some cases (like the very first room of chapter 1) there's one specific spot to search to get the special search. I think if players were not made aware of what that was, it wouldn't be worth their effort to try and find it, especially with the time pressure of the minion cheese wheel.

I can definitely see the appeal from a role-playing point of view. If you give it a try, let us know how it goes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think it would be realistic to expect players to find some of the stuff without giving them hints at least. You would not only have to search on the right space, but roll a successful search, and, like in the case of the Tinker search, perhaps be a specific player. There aren't a ton of special searches, so I feel like most of them would just get skipped over completely.

I think though it would work and be fun if just said "Search here for something cool"/"Something shiny catches your eye here" without actually telling them what it was.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin West
United States
Woodford
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So only last bit i wanted to add, i noticed that there are always graphics on the areas where there is a special search. Maybe like a ringtone or soemthign ie that legend of zelda noise to "hint" to look around before you leave kind of thing that someone mentioned before

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This is not a competition and there is no GM or reason to hide anything. Everyone should know the conditions of a room.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
VAST: The Mysterious Manor
badge
We must move forward, not backward, upward, not forward, and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the other comments saying that players should be informed of any and all special rules for a tile when they enter it, because that can drastically affect how you play it. It would really suck to play through most of a chapter only to find out that you're now screwed because you missed an important special search item several tiles earlier, or to get smacked down by Brodie, Vurst, or some other nasty special surge when you were expecting just the couple extra rats or roaches listed on the Encounter card.

Story moments are the only thing that should be withheld until the trigger occurs, because those don't really affect how the game is actually played.

Also, the suggestions of not telling players about a special search or not telling them the exact location of the items (especially if it gets moved) don't seem to take into account the rule that a mouse can only successfully search a tile once. Even if you ignored the cheese wheel, being able to search every space one by one until you found the special item isn't an option. I'd personally find it very frustrating to be told an important item was available on a tile but then miss out on it by not searching for it in exactly the right spot. That's even worse than not knowing it was there at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Martin
United States
Ellicott City
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no "should" about it. The game is designed for you to know every detail about the quests, including special searches.

First, it is a co-op game designed for one to four players. Since there is no GM, co-op games are designed to be puzzles where all the rules are known unless they have a "When X happens, then do this" section.

Second:
Rulebook, Page 1 wrote:
Each chapter has its own special rules to give it unique storytelling opportunities. If you read through these special rules as you play, it can slow the game down. Therefore, we suggest that if you are playing this game with other players, you take some time to review the rules for the chapter prior to your game session, and help lead the other players through the chapter by pointing out special rules as the need arises.

Third:
Rulebook Page 5 wrote:
7. Room tile rules: some room tiles that are being
used in a chapter will have specific rules that
apply to that room. Each room tile that has
special instructions will have its own section in
a chapter along with a picture of that room tile.
Those sections can be referred to when the mice
first venture onto that room tile.
Often these
instructions include things like special searches
that let mice find specific search cards by searching
an area of that room tile, or special surges that
instruct players on what minion(s) to place when
a surge happens in that room (special surges take
place instead of a surge listed on an encounter
card). Room tile rules sections can also include
special rules on how to set up that room tile when it
is first explored, bits of story to read through while
on that room, and special rules that apply while the
mice are on that room.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.