Popular Tags: [View All]
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably. I always prefer bright primary colors, so that would be my preference anyway, but for most people it's just going to be what they have been used to for the past 20 years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Drake
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
I like pizza!
badge
I LIKE IT!!! ????
mbmbmb
I prefer the uniqueness of the Avalon Hill version where each creature was different. As far as the color schemes go, I am indifferent, I'm just glad a whole new generation was able to get a hold of this game at a reasonable price and keep it alive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Who wants to be like everyone else?

OK, I discovered a while ago that most people do. But you and I don't have to be like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
korxonthos wrote:
Do top-notch universities have a greater proportion of nerds?

Probably. I guess it depends on your definition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
korxonthos wrote:
Board gamers.

Oh, wow. I guess I have no idea. I never would have thought to connect "nerds" with "board gamers" in any way. When I was a student at MIT (over 30 years ago), "nerds" were people who essentially only studied and did nothing else. The virtual opposite of board gamers, who also existed there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Habeo in animo vivere in perpetuum aut mori dum conor.
mbmbmbmbmb
korxonthos wrote:
Seriously, am I the only hardcore Titan fan (although I'm not an expert) who DISLIKES the artwork in the Avalon Hill edition, and prefer the Valley Games edition over the AH edition?!

Big difference between hating the AH artwork and preferring the VG art. Liking both and preferring the VG art more are not mutually exclusive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Monk
United States
Leesburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Yeah, I like them both but prefer the new art.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Giesing
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
korxonthos wrote:
Maybe once I get to university, everything will change.

As I said to my niece when she went to college: if you *want* things to change, college is a great time to make it happen. This is especially true if you're going to college away from home. You're free of people's preconceptions of you, and friendship circles become more self selecting and less accidental.

[Lots of random, unrequested advice deleted. ]

Best

- Kris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Rowe
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
korxonthos wrote:
Seriously, am I the only hardcore Titan fan (although I'm not an expert) who DISLIKES the artwork in the Avalon Hill edition, and prefer the Valley Games edition over the AH edition?!

The biggest appeal to me for the AH edition artwork over the Valley Games version is legibility. I can instantly "read" the images on an AH counters as they were designed to be only one inch tall.

The Valley Games counters are heavily detailed, full color, 3-D models that look like they were designed for the box cover. They turn into blobs when shrunk down to print on a counter. I've gotten used to the new art over the years, but it still doesn't feel intuitive like the old ones.

I am also a fan of Dave Trampier's art, but clarity and simplicity are still the biggest issues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Bradley
United Kingdom
Haverhill
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
The best things in life aren't things.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hawklord wrote:
korxonthos wrote:

The biggest appeal to me for the AH edition artwork over the Valley Games version is legibility. I can instantly "read" the images on an AH counters as they were designed to be only one inch tall.

The Valley Games counters are heavily detailed, full color, 3-D models that look like they were designed for the box cover. They turn into blobs when shrunk down to print on a counter. I've gotten used to the new art over the years, but it still doesn't feel intuitive like the old ones.

I am also a fan of Dave Trampier's art, but clarity and simplicity are still the biggest issues.

I don't think this is a fair criticism. The VG version graphics all have distinct silhouettes when viewed from a distance. Discerning the creature type isn't an issue.

You could argue the above for the colour-coding of the original though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Wolff
msg tools
I think the VG art is a lot more cluttered which makes it harder to identify characters. And the choice of abstract symbols for many of the legion markers makes them harder to use for tracking legions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fwing wrote:
I don't think this is a fair criticism.

Note to self: Never try to argue with about a game with people who've been playing it longer than I've been alive...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gamesmeister99 wrote:
I prefer the uniqueness of the Avalon Hill version where each creature was different. As far as the color schemes go, I am indifferent, I'm just glad a whole new generation was able to get a hold of this game at a reasonable price and keep it alive.

The original Gorgonstar edition had silkscreened counters, so each unique counter was set apart further by tiny differences between each set.

TITAN is one of the few games where I thought each edition was high in its production values. The Valley Games board is a bit dark but is otherwise excellent. The box cover is too obviously computer-generated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BradyLS wrote:
The Valley Games board is a bit dark but is otherwise excellent. The box cover is too obviously computer-generated.

Isn't that the Valley Games style, though? (See recent Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage box, which happens to be my desktop background.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Rowe
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fwing wrote:
Hawklord wrote:

I don't think this is a fair criticism. The VG version graphics all have distinct silhouettes when viewed from a distance. Discerning the creature type isn't an issue.

You could argue the above for the colour-coding of the original though.

While the VG silhouettes are distinct, in that they are different from each other, they are not very clear. They don't have a strong "silhouette value," as animators and cartoonists call it. There is little negative space to separate details for clarity (for the longest time, I thought the giant's club was his overlarge, misshapen head).

Let's compare the griffon and the gorgon in the two editions:

In the VG version, the players must learn that a griffon is the winged thing pointing to the right and a gorgon is a winged thing pointing kinda to the left. The detailed shading and highlighting on the creatures turn to mud when shrunk down to less than one inch, printed against a mid-tone background and then viewed from across the table.

In the AH version, the counter art is simpler. The postures of the two creature types are very distinct from each other. The gorgon is bent forward, charging like a bull. The griffon is arched back, looking like a cross between a pouncing lion and a striking bird of prey. Each creature clearly reads like the real-world animals they are based on. The details pop in high contrast against a pure white background (though, personally, I wouldn't have printed in bright orange).

Trampier understood the importance of silhouette value and it shows in his artwork.

Disney story artist Mark Kennedy writes about strong silhouettes on his blog: http://sevencamels.blogspot.com/2010/04/kick-in-head-part-on...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Rowe
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
korxonthos wrote:
Whatever. Let's just spend our energy on having fun with Titan instead.

Now THAT is something we can agree on!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.