Popular Tags: [View All]
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Right now Steam is saying I'm a level 2, and supposedly if I get to 5 I'll get a bunch of cards for voting during the sale, but I have no idea what the levels are and how to achieve them?

Can anyone point me somewhere? Thanks.

Bruce
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are two ways to gain XP quickly to level up in a short time. The first is to complete enough tasks to get the community ambassador badge (200XP). The second is to craft badges from game sets of cards (100XP per badge crafted).

You also get XP for the number of games you own, but that's an expensive way to level up. Other than that, the only sources of XP I know are from participation in past Steam events, which isn't really a viable option, or years since you first signed up to Steam; something you can't control at this point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Luke's right the best way to get XP is from completing tasks for the Community Badge and for crafting badges from game trading cards...

At your level it should only take 100XP per level, so you are looking to gain about 300 XP to reach level 5.

IF you have some trading cards for games, you could check out the swaps geeklist to see if anyone can help you complete sets:
Steam Trading Cards - Swaps List

Or you could look at the Steam Trading Group for people to swap cards with:
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/tradingcards

You can also buy cards in the community market because a lot of people are just selling them for steam wallet funds. Some card sets are cheaper than others.. like Team Fortress and Magicka... although some sets require fewer cards like Super Meat Boy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysztof Zięba
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Check out my first published board game: In the Name of Odin!
mbmbmbmbmb
So what's the point of the levels? Just the collectible-card meta-thingie, or something else as well?

It would be great if the introduced some sort of % off after reaching a high enough level... somehow I don't think they'll do it though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From the FAQ:

What is the point of my Steam Level?
The Steam Level is a quick way for users to see how much someone has invested in their Steam account. We have just a few different ways to get badges right now, but we hope to expand that to include all the different ways users contribute.

What are the direct benefits of my Steam Level?
You get more options to customize your profile, and the maximum number of friends you can have on your friends list increases.

I don't know about you, but I only have 83 friends on my steam list and my current maximum is 400.. but I guess some people have more friends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lord_Kristof wrote:
So what's the point of the levels? Just the collectible-card meta-thingie, or something else as well?

It would be great if the introduced some sort of % off after reaching a high enough level... somehow I don't think they'll do it though.

Were they to do something like that, I would probably quit spending money on Steam forever. I really hope they never do something like that. That would effectively turn grinding activities into a prerequisite. A discount like that doesn't just spring out of thin air. It has to be priced in somehow. It would mean that new users, or users not willing to spend time on grindy activities within Steam would be effectively subsidising users that do. I'd rather spend my money at other online sellers at that point. Steam keys are common enough these days that I do need to spend my money in the Steam store to add games to my library there if that's what I want to do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I highly doubt that steam would introduce a discount system based on steam level.. However... since Steam have effectively given you a substantial amount of free money during the beta of the trading card system, and would continue to give you money, though granted not nearly as much, from trading card drops, I find myself a little surprised by your response Luke.

Still on the topic of steam levels, I remember reading somewhere that steam level also has an impact on the likelihood of getting trading card booster packs, which, although not particularly valuable anymore, could represent a small saving on games purchased using steam wallet funds.

One other thing... they have said that there are plans to introduce other ways of increasing your steam level based on 'contributions' to the steam community, which could be Guides, Screenshots, Workshop content etc. A bit like earning GG contributions to xGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grimwold wrote:
I highly doubt that steam would introduce a discount system based on steam level.. However... since Steam have effectively given you a substantial amount of free money during the beta of the trading card system, and would continue to give you money, though granted not nearly as much, from trading card drops, I find myself a little surprised by your response Luke.

Effectively Valve haven't given me any money. The money I have gotten from cards has been from other users. In each transaction Valve has taken their cut. I have no problem with this. But the money I receive, is money that other Steam customers have contributed. While Valve created the system whereby I was able to gain, it was not because of their beneficence. I think they came up with a cunning method of double dipping on the money entering the system. First, they take a few percent off every market purchase of cards. Then they take another 30% or so of the rest when the recipient of the Steam funds spends it on a game.

It's a win-win for them. I'm along for the ride, and having a jolly good time of it. But that doesn't give them a free pass to do something dumb like link the cost of games on the site to level system they have created. I don't think they would ever do so. It's a losing game to make new customers subsidise old ones. It would probably work great for a time, but would ultimately be self defeating, so I don't think it would happen. I only suggest that were they to take leave of their senses, I would not be a party to it, even were I to benefit from it. I think that kind of thing would be toxic for PC gaming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Georgia
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Whoever at Valve thought up this idea was a bloody genius. Its like playing a slot machine where you have to pay the house to take your winnings.

Thankfully I am not huge into achievements so Ive not been caught up in the game, but it is nice that when you are gifted a booster pack you can sell it for a quick $2ish USD which is almost a new game on sale. Which when you buy it gets you more cards. Its a simple, brilliant cycle.

Edit - Spelling
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Sebastopol (Ballarat)
Victoria
flag msg tools
That's Karl on the left. Eternity on the right.
badge
I love Melissa, but don't tell her. It's a secret if she can find this. Shhhhh....
mbmbmbmbmb
fastbilly1 wrote:
Whoever at Valve thought up this idea was a bloody genius. Its like playing a slot machine where you have to pay the house to take your winnings.

Thankfully I am not huge into achievements so Ive not been caught up in the game, but it is nice that when you are gifted a booster pack you can sell it for a quick $2ish USD which is almost a new game on sale. Which when you buy it gets you more cards. Its a simple, brilliant cycle.

Agree completely.

Whereas...

1. Some people play the slots for fun and don't mind losing a little bit of potential cash to play the game.

2. Others don't want to play and just cash in their free spins.

Either choice is valid and understandable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kat Tastrophy
United States
Alexandria
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play the slots to get the free drinks myself...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fastbilly1 wrote:

Thankfully I am not huge into achievements so Ive not been caught up in the game...

yeah, me neither. I generally don't pay any attention to achievements, so I doubt -

- hey, look! I'm level four already! Cool - what do I get for that? And what do I need for level 5? I see... and what do I need to get there? Well, the sale is still going, and...

...uh...

...nevermind.

blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
c 5
United States
Baton Rouge
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got a few badges because it was a fun gimmick. Now I'm embarrassed about my Steam level because it shows that I spent some time/effort/money on such things (even though I'm sure no one looks at my profile and those who do see it don't care).

I was going to stop the other day at a nice, round number, but then they made a Defense Grid: the Awakening badge. Couldn't resist that one. And if some of my other favorite games get them, I probably won't be able to pass them up, either. Even knowing that the whole enterprise is utterly meaningless. :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.