United States
Metairie
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
korxonthos wrote:
(I hear they are going bankrupt)

Please elaborate on this. As long as I can remember GW does what it wants and stays on top of the food chain, has this changed?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Robben
Belgium
Antwerp
Antwerp
flag msg tools
And here...
badge
I should really add something smart and sparkly here.
mbmbmbmbmb
They are certainly feeling the diminished sales caused by the worldwide financial crisis like everybody else, they recently lost their CEO which put Kirby back in the chair, and the next day one of their main stockholders sold its shares. So they surely have some challenges, but bankrupt? Not by a long shot I'd wager.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Club Squirrel
England
Brierley Hill
The Black Country
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Atomic batteries to power! Turbines to speed!
mbmbmbmbmb
I can understand GW not wanting to give up creative control for a say a TV series. If a TV series or film would be good is debatable.

But as for religous debate, only bad can come from that. I've no problem with the fictional gods of Warhammer, but lets keep it fiction and keep real world religion away from the table.

I would love to see some more merchandise though; mugs, t-shirts, etc.

But where did you hear about them going backrupt? Dakka Dakka? Warmahordes forum?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Clegg
United States
San Carlos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They licensed 40k to Fantasy Flight for RPGs, they licensed it to make a movie (http://www.amazon.com/Ultramarines-Warhammer-Movie-Collector... -- starring the voices of John Hurt and a few other major names; it didn't make it much better, unfortunately, but it DID happen). Not to mention the licensing to THQ for all the video games that have come out -- Dawn of Wars I & II, Space Marine...

Television media isn't easy. There's been a live-action Star Wars TV series in the works for years now, and if those guys can't get this stuff done, how's a little tiny games company (in the grand scheme of things) going to get something not just produced, but aired on a national television station?

As much as I'd love a good WH40k show, I just don't see it happening. I'm sure if GW had the financials to make it work, they would do it. But even attempting something like that would likely ruin the company financially.

Besides, you might end up with something like the old Dungeons & Dragons cartoon show, and nobody would want that.

...Paul

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter Dhondt
Belgium
Anzegem
flag msg tools
My armor is contempt. My shield is disgust. My sword is hatred. In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
badge
Song of my soul, my voice is dead; Die thou, unsung, as tears unshed. Shall dry and die in Lost Carcosa.
mbmbmbmbmb
pestigor wrote:
korxonthos wrote:
(I hear they are going bankrupt)

Please elaborate on this. As long as I can remember GW does what it wants and stays on top of the food chain, has this changed?

They are always going bankrupt according to someone somewhere. They've been going bankrupt for 15 years now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patching
United Kingdom
Newport, Wales
flag msg tools
badge
If you notice this notice you wil notice that this notice was not worth noticing
mbmbmbmbmb
They publish their financal results on-line, they 'aint going bankrupt. In fact, profits seem to be up.

I'd imagine they'd jump at the chance of producing a 40K themed TV show if the right funds were available. A 40K TV show isn't going to be cheap and a half assed effort wouldn't do anything to enhance the Warhammer brand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patching
United Kingdom
Newport, Wales
flag msg tools
badge
If you notice this notice you wil notice that this notice was not worth noticing
mbmbmbmbmb
CryoMax wrote:

Besides, you might end up with something like the old Dungeons & Dragons cartoon show, and nobody would want that.

...Paul

Whoa, whoa, whoa, I missed this the first time I read the thread. You sully the old Dungeons and Dragons cartoon - blasphemy! You'll be telling me Visonaries was a load of old hokum next.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atrox Fatum
Abkhazia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Religion - GW censors religious discussion at stores because it is a bad for business. The only place religious conversations are good for business is religious bookstores; anywhere else it will only alienate potential customers.

Going out of business - None of their business behaviors have changed and they are still opening stores. What indication is there that they are closing? Games Workshop has stood tall through the decades as its rivals have self-immolated and fallen to ruin; they are survivors in the elephant graveyard that is hobby gaming.

Nintendo on the iOS/Android - While they might be losing on potential new sales, this is not the reason for their troubles. They have never sold games on those devices. They can't be in trouble for not doing something they have never done and show no indication of doing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patching
United Kingdom
Newport, Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
korxonthos wrote:
Also, who wouldn't want a Space Marine mug?!!!

How about this:

In fact, a whole pile of 40K mugs (and other things) here: http://www.cafepress.co.uk/+40k+mugs

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.