Vic
flag msg tools
admin
designer
May you find the Perfect Shoe! xxx
badge
Mostly offline, but trying.
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to run a not-quite-newbie-any-more game some time in the next couple of weeks, for the people who have joined a newbie game but aren't quite feeling brave enough to move into one of the crazymost complicated games that are running at the moment.

I'm wondering whether anyone has a good roleset for 11-15 players, preferably with some fun other roles thrown in (I like the Cultist, are Lovers broken? Maybe bodyguard although I don't like no-kills in general) before I tie myself to the balance analysis machine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For 11, I recommend:

4 evil:

2x Wolf (know each other)

1x Sorcerer (looks for all good seers, evil)

1x Witch (looks for wolves, evil. essentially a weak cultist)

7 good:

1x Seer (sees wolf only)

1x Apprentice Seer (sees Sorcerer and Witch only).
(Alternately: replace this with Random role seer)

1x Hunter (wins for village if hunter and 1 wolf are left as last 2).

1x Priest (learns the roles of dead players).

1x Tinker (looks like a wolf. Tinker is told they are a villager. Alternately: Tinker looks like both a wolf and a seer to all viewers)

2x Villager

No role reveal (except to the priest)

PMs allowed between any players (either unlimited or X per day, 3 is good for X)

Night 0 visions are of RANDOM people (to avoid metagaming).

Voting ties broken by longest held vote.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
An open-eyed man falling into the well
United States
Roswell
Georgia
flag msg tools
"I don’t believe in magic that works whether or not you believe in it!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Bodyguard - if you have it as a Martyr then it isn't so bad. That way evil still kills, just not who they wanted.

Of course, there's the tried-and-tested 9-player format that is starting up when we find 2 more people that I just happen to have a link to:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/98861

Seriously, I think the 9-player is perfect for the not-quite-so newbies anymore. It's a good balance of bluffing, lying, backstabbing, and all around Werewolf fun! (:

Of course, Alex's sets for varying numbers work too. I thought there was a list of them up to a good number of players somewhere (posted by Threnody?) but I can't find it.

There's also a thread with a bunch of roles listed, some of which may or may not be broken (where the Random Role Seer came from, IIRC). And the Mafia page linked from the Werewolf entry has a whole bunch of various roles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I find bodyguard to be a fine role if the bodyguard dies to save someone.

Of course, that does make that person die quickly a lot of the time. So give it to someone you dont like! j/k

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Australia
Parkville
Vic
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anonymouse512 wrote:
Re: Bodyguard - if you have it as a Martyr then it isn't so bad. That way evil still kills, just not who they wanted.

Of course, there's the tried-and-tested 9-player format that is starting up when we find 2 more people that I just happen to have a link to:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/98861

Your 9p looks really fun, Anony, but it's hard for me to commit to actually being online at the right time for lynch (and for long enough for a lynch to occur).

I expect that this game will be somewhat chaotic - with lots of special roles. But hopefully fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John So-And-So
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
You and the Cap'n make it hap'n
mbmbmbmbmb
Wolf
Wolf
Wolf
Wolf
Wolf
Wolf
Wolf
Wolf
Wolf
Wolf
Hunter

And the hunter is the only one who knows.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Valvard
msg tools
Spread the conFUDsion wherever you can...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about:

2 wolves
1 wolfcub
1 sorceror (sees seer AND hunter)

1 seer (sees wolves only)
1 priest (sees roles of all dead)
2 hunters (village wins if 1-1 hunter-wolfkin at the end)
3-6 villagers

Wolfcub:
Cannot PM wolves and does not know their IDs
When a wolf dies, the wolfcub becomes a full wolf and is now able to PM the remaining wolf
Wolves know the ID of the cub.
Seer will NOT see the cub as a wolf.

This starts down the road of 'unusual roles' and 'exceptions to the normal role mechanisms' to ease ex-newbies into mainstream complex games...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Javal wrote:
This starts down the road of 'unusual roles' and 'exceptions to the normal role mechanisms' to ease ex-newbies into mainstream complex games...

this role-set sounds very good

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Australia
Parkville
Vic
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Javal, that's a great roleset. Just the sort of thing I was looking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas French
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
i also just posted up a game that you might like melissa, its a bit crazy but should be quick with so many kills hahaha its on the main ww board as Mafia vs WW vs villager, everyone should check it out

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.