Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Seth Pontiff
United States
Houma
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I purchased Legions of Darkness, but when I opened the box and saw the components, my interest quickly diminished. Now, I'm interested in Dawn of the Zeds, yet I'm worried it will be the same thing as Legions of Darkness. I wasn't too fond of punching out the soot infested chits and tearing them accidentally. Will I have this same issue with Dawn of the Zeds and if so, is it even worth it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Emrich
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
That's very odd...

We don't offer LEGIONS OF DARKNESS in a box; neither does it have laser-cut counters, so there should be no soot.

However, it sounds like you did get one of our boxed games (just not that one) and, yes, you will find laser-cut counters with some soot.

Also, yes, it will be worth it. DAWN OF THE ZEDS is an outstanding game, but you can read all about that here on BGG or hit the many review links on the DAWN OF THE ZEDS product page at Victory Point Games:

http://victorypointgames.com/details.php?prodId=142

Alan Emrich
Publisher
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kennedy
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Recently, I got my hands on some Gold Banner games. I was braced for the apocalypse as I'd heard about the issue with soot. I have now punched out a few titles. My response was, "That's it?"

I am completely flabbergasted that anyone cares or thinks this is a significant issue. Obviously, everyone is entitled to their opinion. But, the issue to me is utterly minuscule. Indeed, compared to the pre-Gold Banner components, the new components are world-class.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vernan Stanton
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
Trapped In A World I Never Made...
mbmbmbmbmb
A bit of soot is a small price to pay for such an awesome game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fryd Pickles wrote:
I purchased Legions of Darkness, but when I opened the box and saw the components, my interest quickly diminished. Now, I'm interested in Dawn of the Zeds, yet I'm worried it will be the same thing as Legions of Darkness. I wasn't too fond of punching out the soot infested chits and tearing them accidentally. Will I have this same issue with Dawn of the Zeds and if so, is it even worth it?

As Alan mentioned Legions of Darkness aren't made with laser cutting and thus shouldn't have soot. Could it be that the game you're thinking of is Darkest Night (First edition)? It's the VPG game with the most similar name and theme that I can think of that is laser cut.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Pontiff
United States
Houma
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My mistake. It was Darkest Night. Not sure what I was thinking there. The soot really didn't bother me, but it just wasn't expected I guess. Plus, some of the chits tore so I guess I will have to use a x-acto knife or something if I get Dawn of the Zeds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
frank gallagher
United States
tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HitchKennedy wrote:
Recently, I got my hands on some Gold Banner games. I was braced for the apocalypse as I'd heard about the issue with soot. I have now punched out a few titles. My response was, "That's it?"

I am completely flabbergasted that anyone cares or thinks this is a significant issue. Obviously, everyone is entitled to their opinion. But, the issue to me is utterly minuscule. Indeed, compared to the pre-Gold Banner components, the new components are world-class.

This was my reaction as well. Wipe off before you punch--takes one minute. I didn't have any counters tear in Zeds or Zulus, but I was pretty careful with any odd shapes, and that does take a little time. I used a couple of tools to get the 'stands' out safely, which are the hardest to do. In my opinion the laser counters are more than worth the trouble.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lines J. Hutter
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Got my game a few days ago and I was surpised and impressed by the quality and thickness of the counters. Some of the best I´ve seen so far.

And the smell, although is absolutely not my taste, puts you directly in a scenery with rotting and buring Zeds. Very thematic :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HERMANN LUTTMANN
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Have fun, Lines!
Hermann
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.