Jeremy Kalgreen
United States
Columbus
OH
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Just had my proudest moment of my game designing life at Protospiel in Ann Arbor this last weekend. Mostly I was just there to test a little 30 minute dice game I created on the drive home from last year's Protospiel called Dice Bot Mega Fun. But on the second day me and my pals started getting hungrier for something big and meaty.

Well, I created a game a while back called Villains. It's a brain burning ameritrash monster that my playgroup can't seem to get enough of. I also tend to try to get a game or two in with strangers whenever I take it to a convention.

I've had a few of these random convention folks ask me to let them buy a copy of the prototype, but they can be quite expensive to make so I can't really afford to make copies for people. However the last few times I made an updated copy for myself (after some significant layout or design tweaks) I ended up selling the old prototype to someone at a convention for like $50. One of those copies was bought last year by a guy named Jim, who gave me his contact info, and told me he was from Michigan.

Since I was up in Michigan last weekend with two friends (and fellow designers) for protospiel I decided to give that Jim guy a call and see if he was free for a game. Luckily he was free and he headed right over! He sits down to the table and starts talking strategy and I'm blown away. This is a complex game with a lot of different factions, secret plans, hidden information and really just a crap ton to learn to get good, but this was the first person I'd ever met outside of my local playgroup that really knew his stuff.

So we had our foursome of players, including two out of three of the best Villains players in our extended play group. Then we proceeded to have the most intense four hour game I think I've ever played. I set elaborate plans in motion only to be foiled repeatedly by good bluffs, and sometimes brute force. When the smoke cleared the it was Jim who stood atop the smoldering rubble of the rest of our ruined dreams.

This isn't the kind of game you can win against high level players by dumb luck, this guy knew his stuff, held his own, threw his elbows when we'd push him, and came out on top!

You don't get that good at Villains accidently, so I knew I had met my first real fan of the game (outside of my social circle), and had my proudest moment as a game designer so far!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Woohoo!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy G
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Mold the chaos into something beautiful
mbmbmbmbmb
What a fun story.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
this is one reason I keep hitting the refresh button on this forum.

encore! encore!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Johnson
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to let you know, your post intrigued me, so I checked out the bgg listing for your game and your website. It looks really cool -- smart and professional! Is there any chance you could post the full game rules so we could learn more?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Kalgreen
United States
Columbus
OH
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Howdy,

Thanks for your interest!

I've been working on an updated rules .pdf for it, since there has been a number of tweaks along the way and I want to be able to keep folks with prototypes in the loop.

I've got most of the basic rules done (well, they will need another editing pass from someone better than me at that sort of thing) so for an overview you can check them out here: http://falseflaggames.com/content/villains/villains_rules.pd...

I still need to add the appendix of information specific to individual areas and factions. Once I do that I'll add the file to the official files section of BGG.

Thanks!
Jeremy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Ingeland
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! Are there still playtest files out there? You intrigued me..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonatan Rullman
Sweden
Solberga
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would buy the game from this story alone, without even looking at the rest. Any plans for publishing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boss Beau Blasterfire
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations. Wish you had some pics to go along with your story.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M J
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm good story, let me add one of my own.

I was walking around on spiel 2012 it was the last day of the convention and everywhere you started to see signs that some people had played just a few to many games over the last couple of days.

After being glued to the bigger halls i managed to rip myself away from the big game releases and i found myself wandering into the stalls that consisted of only a single table. playing a game with passer by's it was some sort of abstract strategy game. Normally i am not to big of a fan of those anymore, i used to play chess at national level when i was way younger but had a couple of bad experienced and now i rarely play chess more then once a year. STill the game looked interesting enough and i sat down to have a go.

The peruvian guy sitting across the table, explained he rules to me and mentioned that if i managed to beat him, i got to sign the "coat of victors" a white labcoat decorated by a handfull of signatures, he mentioned that he had been playing psserbys for the whole weekend and so far only six people had managed to beat him, i was intrigued by it and the game begun.

Nowerdays i couldnt play a half-decent game of chess to safe my life but for some reason i mangaged to see right through this strategy game, and after a bit of back and forth i managed to spring my trap and beat him hands down. I was as surprised as he was by the fact that i managed to see through the system in my first go. So after signing the labcoat with my usual unreadable scribble that's passes for my signature. In this sudden burst of understanding i explained to him in detail all the little things i noticed about his game, which he eagerly took in. He asked if i wanted to help him playtest the game in the future to which i gladly agreed.

We talked and we talked, about and he mentioned that he was starting a publishing company, i mentioned that my first real gamedesign was coming among nicely, and i asked if he was perhaps interested in publishing it. At this time the convention came to an end, we had been talking for four hours straight. Whilst he packed up he asked if me to join him for dinner so we could discuss things further. I did

LAter that night we had another gigantic discussion about everything from the vision of his company to the details of my game, a discussion that ended because the hotel staff really wanted to close down for the night.

And that ladies and gentleman, is how i got my game "The infiltrators" to be published.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
roger miller
United States
California
flag msg tools
publisher
I get beat at my own games all of the time, especially during testing before being published.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Kalgreen
United States
Columbus
OH
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
magneheeli wrote:
Wow! Are there still playtest files out there? You intrigued me..

I've never posted playtest files, the prototypes floating out there were made by hand, and I'd sell them once I needed to do an upgrade. But I can see about putting together a PDF if folks were dedicated enough to print up a big ol' Fantasy Flight style game.

jonatanrullman wrote:

I would buy the game from this story alone, without even looking at the rest. Any plans for publishing?

Hopefully someday!

Here's where I am now: I first put the game together in time for Origins 2011. I ended up talking to Zev from Z-Man games since they seemed like a potentially good fit (well, Fantasy Flight would be the best fit, but they don't accept submissions). One of the first questions he asked was "How long?" and when I said 4 hours he was basically "yikes!". However he said he'd set me up with one of his reps for a playtest. I sat down with his rep Nate for a test game and he really seemed to dig it, we played another round at a different con a few weeks later and decided to officially recommend it to Zev for publication. Zev again expressed his misgivings about the length, but since Nate was talking it up to him he decided to give it a spin.

After a few playtests and a few months he wrote back saying he was going back and forth on whether to publish it, but in the end they decided it was just too long, so they had to pass. It was a bit of a bummer, but I felt pretty good that I at least got that far with the first publisher I had pitched it to, since I knew a big long Ameritrash game was a tough sell. By the time I got the game back, the convention season was over, so I just put pitching it on hold until the next summer.

The next summer at protospiel I met up with the rep Nate and he remembered the game and said he thought Zev should have published it. As it happens Nate was planning on launching his own startup game company, now that he knew the business from working with Zev. He wanted to sign Villains and another shorter game called Threat Level Red that me and a friend had recently made. Since he believed in us and the game, I decided to believe in his startup and took his deal.

That was late summer last year, and last I heard he's launching the first kickstarter for his new game company in August. He's got two games in the queue before he gets to the first of mine (which is planned to be Threat Level Red), so I'm crossing my fingers that his launch is a huge success and his company takes off so that we'll see Villains hit the stores someday in the not too distant future. If not, well, that't be a bummer but the rights of Villains return to me after 2 years so I guess I'd go back to trying to pitch the game to another company who might be interested in big long games.

So, I guess it's wait and see time!

bbblasterfire wrote:
Congratulations. Wish you had some pics to go along with your story.

Me too! I'm terrible about thinking to take photos, but I sure should get better at that.

munio wrote:
Hmm good story, let me add one of my own...

Nice, great to hear success stories like that!

rmiller1093 wrote:
I get beat at my own games all of the time, especially during testing before being published.

He he, me too, but never outside of my play group before, heck even in my play group I'm maybe the third strongest player. Most notably my designing partner Lance usually ends up better than me at my own games after 2-3 plays, and in one particularly humbling case Bug Planet it took me like 5 games to even beat him once =)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.