jcgonzmo 84
msg tools
As you have seen in my previous posts, I am building a board game collection. I already got LNOE, Ticket to Ride, Agricola and Ghost Stories. Now I am interested the following games that will be played by two player ONLY.
1) Mice and Mystics and Takenoko .- Me and my girlfriend are big animal lovers. The theme of these games excites us (apart from ourselves, lol)
2) Memoir 44 .- The theme is cool.
3) Android Netrunner .- The theme is AWESOME!!! I would love to play it with my girlfriend.
4) Galaxy Trucker .- The theme is meh....
5) Race for The Galaxy .- Love the theme and even that is a short game. However, I have read that is really is a LOVE HATE relationship because is really hard to play/. So If I only have one person to play it and she hates it, I am done with the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Mice and Mystics vs Memoir 44 vs Android: Netrunner vs Galaxy Trucker vs Takenoko?
Takenoko is great, my girlfriend loves it. We both have a blast playing Galaxy Trucker it's just such an innovative game. There really isn't anything like it.

I recently just purchased Relic and Letters from Whitechapel. Two more games that play great with two but also very unique. Relic is an epic adventure game with lots of character development and a rich theme but it is heavily luck dependant. It's basically roll and move, have an encounter and level up. LfWC is a deductive game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jcgonzmo 84
msg tools
Re: Mice and Mystics vs Memoir 44 vs Android: Netrunner vs Galaxy Trucker vs Takenoko?
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
Takenoko is great, my girlfriend loves it. We both have a blast playing Galaxy Trucker it's just such an innovative game. There really isn't anything like it.

1) Is Takenoko like Ticket to Ride, that after the 5th game everything is just.........the same? You get easily bored?
2) What makes Galaxy Trucker so unique? Please sell it to me, lol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Takenoko has way more to offer than TtR because it uses cards that you keep secret for scoring points but I guess after a while it may feel redundant. The tiles are different every game and there is ways to block your opponent but it is on the "lighter side". Perhaps you should check out Ninjato or even better Alien Frontiers is a brilliant game.

Galaxy trucker is great because you have a stressful, intense race building your ship which is like an evolving puzzle that is never the same and no matter how good you think your ship is the random events in the phase that follows are unpredictable and chaotic. It's fun to watch your opponents (or your own for that matter) ship get blown to pieces. It's one of the few games I actually have fun loosing

A few more games came to mind you might enjoy:

Garden Dice
Nexus Ops
Claustrophobia
Space Alert
Survive: Escape from Atlantis!
Conquest of Planet Earth: The Space Alien Game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Check each game and see how well it plays with 2 players. Memoir '44 is designed for 2 players, but others may not play as well with 2 as with more players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jcgonzmo 84
msg tools
That is why I am asking. I have read so many good things about all of them. I am confuse. I need one more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Tanner
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
BryceCon Game Convention Jan 15-18 in Southern Utah www.brycecon.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played Memoir 44 and Race for the Galaxy out of this list.

Memoir 44 can be limited in scenarios, each game ends with the same conditions, basically, so it's often just a race to kill the most units, and it's not really a great war game. Granted, I like it, I'm glad I own it, but there are better and I think it might be too limited.

Race for the Galaxy, you've heard right on the love it or hate it bit. Personally, I only own the base set, can never get it to the table, and have almost zero interest in playing it myself. I had friends before I moved out of California who loved it and thought it was the greatest game ever. So I'd recommend trying this one out, which you can do on the computer, before investing in it. That way you have an idea as to whether or not it's going to click for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Stewart
Macao
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You should watch the shut up and sit down review and let's play videos for Galaxy Truckers before you make any judgments about it. I'll admit, I wasn't that impressed before I saw their review, and after their let's play of the anniversary edition came out I decided that I needed to pick it up. Well, I did and it is a really unique and fun game.

My gf and I play netrunner all the time (it's her favorite game), but keep in mind that this is probably heavier than the other games you have so far. People will disagree with me on this, but it took us about 10 games to really fully understand how all the rules work together. Also, since both sides (corp and runner) play completely differently, you run the risk of having one person only like playing as one. For example, my gf will only play as corp, which kind of ruins half the game for me (since I'm a nice guy and will play runner every time).

Memoir 44 is fun, but it can feel like a bit repetitive and luck-based after a while. Also, of all the scenarios in the base game, only a couple are balanced equally for both sides. That said, it is probably the easiest war game out there, and worth a try if you like the WWII theme.

Race for the Galaxy is a fun game, though it is definately a love-it-or-hate-it kind of game. First off, there is very little if any player interaction in it. The theme is great.... until you realize that it was originally supposed to be the Puerto Rico card game, and then it just feels pasted on. The game is solid though, and was our go-to game several months ago. Theres a really good singleplayer pc version that you can find on the forums here; I'm suggest trying that first before you buy.

Basically, of all the ones on your list that I've played, I think Galaxy Trucker is the most enjoyable. It can be rather chaotic though, so if you are very competitive and dislike luck in your games, then its not for you. I'd also recommend checking out Dungeon Petz and Keyflower, two medium weight euros that we really enjoy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Out of those I have played extensively Android: Netrunner and Race for the Galaxy, and own only Galaxy Trucker.

Galaxy Trucker is my favourite of the three, but not for two player.

I think Android: Netrunner or Race for the Galaxy would both be excellent choices for a two player game. Netrunner if you want the deckbuilding and bluff mechanics, and Race for the Galaxy if you want a finely tuned engine of a game that you can really get your teeth into. They are very different games. Well, everything on your list is very different, I'm not sure how you made it or what would preclude you from buying more than one game on the list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
1) Mice and Mystics and Takenoko .- Me and my girlfriend are big animal lovers. The theme of these games excites us (apart from ourselves, lol)

M&M is a really good game, though it's theme is what drives it. Underneath it all is a fairly simple dungeon crawler that's nothing special. Mind you, it's a game aimed at the 7+ years old. In that sense, it's a very, very good - nay... awesome - game.

Takenoko, i havn't played and can't comment.

Quote:

Very simple wargame that can be teached in under 10 minutes. It's good, but i would definitely prefer something more "meaty". Dust Tactics (for example) is not terribly more complex, yet offers more depth. With just the starter set, Memoir 44 has more bang for the buck, but if you start on expansionitism, both are at roughly the same price.

Quote:
3) Android Netrunner .- The theme is AWESOME!!! I would love to play it with my girlfriend.

Theme is awesome, game is awesome. Deck construction is not for everyone. My own wife is not a fan because of it.

Quote:

Have not played.

Quote:
5) Race for The Galaxy .- Love the theme and even that is a short game. However, I have read that is really is a LOVE HATE relationship because is really hard to play/. So If I only have one person to play it and she hates it, I am done with the game

To me, RftG is a good game, but it plays very similarly to Puerto Rico and San Juan, with the added complexity of the friggin' iconography. The iconography in this game means you require two or three games before you get comfortable with it. This means i can't bring it out to new players with whom i'll only play occasionally.
We also much prefer to bring out Puerto Rico than RftG for a very similar experience. So the latter doesn't get much play...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vivienne Raper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jcgonzmo wrote:
As you have seen in my previous posts, I am building a board game collection. I already got LNOE, Ticket to Ride, Agricola and Ghost Stories. Now I am interested the following games that will be played by two player ONLY.
5) Race for The Galaxy .- Love the theme and even that is a short game. However, I have read that is really is a LOVE HATE relationship because is really hard to play/. So If I only have one person to play it and she hates it, I am done with the game.

We play almost always with two. I've never played Memoir 44, but have played the other games.

I'm not sure what to recommend because they are very different games. Do you enjoy head-to-head competition? Cooperation? Lots of player interaction? Games where you can pursue a strategy without it being messed up by your opponent? Do you like long games? Or quick games that can be played in an hour maximum?

Takenoko is a light fun game, and seems to go down well with couples.

Mice and Mystics has a cool theme, but - underneath - it's a simple cooperative dungeon crawl with fighting. If you're looking for a tactical combat game with some depth, I'd get Descent 2nd edition or the D&D Adventure games.

Android Netrunner is a great two-player game if you want a lifestyle game. You need to get quite seriously into the game, commit some time to learning it and building decks. If you take up playing Netrunner, you may find you only play Netrunner and not any other games. If you want a comparison to Netrunner, think about Magic the Gathering if you knew which cards were in the boosters you bought. If you've ever thought about playing Magic, you may like Netrunner.

Galaxy Trucker is good silly fun with two people. It lasts about 90 minutes, which may be too long. It's not a strategy game, it's a 'completing a puzzle in a time limit and see what happens' game. The fun comes from assembling ship parts and watching your ship blow up.

Race for the Galaxy is also excellent, but the icons can be a bit confusing and - thus - some people hate it on their first few plays. There isn't much direct player interaction - you're not fighting each other or blowing up your ships. You're trying to benefit from the actions your opponent takes. It's a card game version of Puerto Rico and is pretty strategic. If you want something simpler, get San Juan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jcgonzmo wrote:

1) Mice and Mystics and Takenoko
2) Memoir 44
3) Android Netrunner
4) Galaxy Trucker
5) Race for The Galaxy

When you talk about loving the theme for Memoir 44 and Netrunner, you don't mention your partner loving the theme, in fact you only do that for Mice & Mystics. Unless your partner is atypical, I suspect that Netrunner and Memoir 44 would actually be turn-offs for her.

Race for the Galaxy is indeed a love it or hate it game - you really want to try and borrow or demo a copy for a couple of games. It's mostly the iconography that's the issue - it's a good thing in the long run, but makes it much more confusing when you just start (which to my mind is the reverse of the compromise that should be made).

Galaxy Trucker very much isn't for me, but it might be for the pair of you. I've not played Mice & Mystics, but I'd say you'd probably both like that.

Takenoko would also be a big hit I'm sure - my gf loves it, and to my pleasant surprise, I enjoy it as a light game too. There's more going on than I thought there would be. It's also got absolutely beautiful components and artwork sure to make most girls squee...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Memoir '44 can be tried on Steam or at Days of Wonder's website. I didn't care for it. I think Hold the Line is a much better system with nearly the some components.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
veemonroe wrote:
I'm not sure what to recommend because they are very different games. Do you enjoy head-to-head competition? Cooperation? Lots of player interaction? Games where you can pursue a strategy without it being messed up by your opponent? Do you like long games? Or quick games that can be played in an hour maximum?

Excellent questions!

Quote:
Takenoko is a light fun game, and seems to go down well with couples.

As a side note, if you're buying this because of the "animal" theme, you may be disappointed. There is a panda, who you occasionally get to move around the board, but it's not a huge part of the game.

Quote:
Galaxy Trucker is good silly fun with two people. It lasts about 90 minutes, which may be too long.

My only game of it took about 120 minutes, which was about 90 minutes too long, for my tastes. The long "now stuff gets randomly destroyed" phase did nothing for me.

Quote:
Race for the Galaxy...If you want something simpler, get San Juan.

Absolutely. The theme of SJ might not be as exciting for you, however. I think it's a ton easier to learn Race if you already know SJ, so you might get SJ as a disposable stepping stone. (Or, if you're like me, you'll end up disposing of Race and keeping SJ).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jcgonzmo 84
msg tools
Personally, I think a good game is a good game an it has nothing to do if its cooperative, strategy, confrontational, etc. As you can see in my collection I have few but diverse games. The only thing I want is for the game to have a lasting appeal. I dont want it to be like Ticket to Ride that is the same every single time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jcgonzmo 84
msg tools
Takenoko looks like a very beautiful game. I really like it. However, I would love for it to have lasting appeal. That is not clear to me.

I guess I can try Memoir 44 and Race for the Galaxy online. Even though, I have heard nothing more that fantastic things for both. Specially, Memoir44.

Mice and Mystics have an awesome theme. However, as someone mentioned in a previous post, it is inteded for 7+. I guess it wont be that exciting as Last Night on Earth.

Galaxy Trucker intrigues me now. Even though the theme looks meh, my girlfriend an I like puzzle games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Takenoko is a lighter, relaxed game. We play it during the week when we don't want to think too much and only have 45 minutes to spare. Honestly you should probably look more at some "medium" weight games such as:

Yedo
Alien Frontiers
Merchants & Marauders
Clash of Cultures

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Stewart
Macao
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I want to say one more thing about Galaxy Trucker. The amount of fun you have with the game will probably depend on two factors: who you are playing with and what kind of attitude you have going into the game. This game is clearly not meant to be taken too seriously, and if the people you are playing with are too serious then it will ruin the fun. Also, you have to accept that once you have built your ship, the rest of the round is pretty much out of your control. I think that part really irritates a lot of gamers. Personally, I think its hilarious when my ship gets completely destroyed. I also don't get why people think this game is too long. Every time we play, we always want to immediately play again. If anything, the game is too short for us. Anyway, those are just my personal thoughts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jcgonzmo 84
msg tools
cpugeek13 wrote:
I want to say one more thing about Galaxy Trucker. The amount of fun you have with the game will probably depend on two factors: who you are playing with and what kind of attitude you have going into the game. This game is clearly not meant to be taken too seriously, and if the people you are playing with are too serious then it will ruin the fun. Also, you have to accept that once you have built your ship, the rest of the round is pretty much out of your control. I think that part really irritates a lot of gamers. Personally, I think its hilarious when my ship gets completely destroyed. I also don't get why people think this game is too long. Every time we play, we always want to immediately play again. If anything, the game is too short for us. Anyway, those are just my personal thoughts.

My girlfriend loves puzzle games. This is definitely something good. I think I will be giving this game a try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jcgonzmo 84
msg tools
I wanted to like Takenoko and Mice and Mystics. However the game looks on the light side, even though the theme is great. The rest of the games on the list, dont look that clear to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jcgonzmo wrote:
I wanted to like Takenoko and Mice and Mystics. However the game looks on the light side, even though the theme is great. The rest of the games on the list, dont look that clear to me.

Well everyone has giving you some great suggestions (myself included) looks like its time for you to start watching some videos whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jcgonzmo 84
msg tools
Actually the suggestions have been great. I already downloaded Memoir 44 to Steam. Ill be going the same for Race for the Galaxy. In the mean time, I will buy Galaxy Trucker. Mice and mystics and Takenoko are light games that seem not to have a lasting appeal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jcgonzmo wrote:
Actually the suggestions have been great. I already downloaded Memoir 44 to Steam. Ill be going the same for Race for the Galaxy. In the mean time, I will buy Galaxy Trucker. Mice and mystics and Takenoko are light games that seem not to have a lasting appeal.

None of those are what I'm referring to

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jcgonzmo 84
msg tools
Galaxy Trucker is the one I am buying! You did refer that one haha.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sam newman

doncaster
south yorkshire
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
letters from white chapel is a great game with 2 or 3 people, 1 of my favorites

i also bought galaxy trucker recently havent played it yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.