Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
I hate to be that guy, but you said in another post, that you like to have your city names printed in the local language.

"Sankt Peterberg" is probably "Sankt Petersburg"?

"Naples" should then be named "Napoli"

I have no idea about "Constantinople", but it is the English name. Checking out Wikipedia:
Wikipedia wrote:
Constantinople (Greek: Κωνσταντινούπολις, Κωνσταντινούπολη – Konstantinoúpolis, Konstantinoúpoli; Latin: Constantinopolis; Armenian: Կոստանդնուպոլիս, Kostandnupolis; Ottoman Turkish: قسطنطینیه, Kostantiniyye; and modern Turkish: İstanbul)

meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greece
Thessaloniki
Macedonia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since the represented country is Ottoman Empire, Istanbul would be a mistake. قسطنطینیه would be correct but since the city up to 19th century was an international city in many aspects, Constantinople is fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Lara
Spain
Alcobendas
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can confirm Madrid is well written
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Igor Larchenko
Russia
Ivanteevka
Moscow region
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sankt Peterburg and Moskva.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Berry
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The choice of Constantinople / Istanbul seems complicated and AFAICS will depend to an extent on the time period covered by the game: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Names_of_Istanbul

As an aside from the serious conversation (but the main reason I bothered posting): http://www.lyricsdepot.com/they-might-be-giants/istanbul-not...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duarte Conceicao
Portugal
Carcavelos
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is also a mistake in one of the companies from the stretcht goals. Lisboa is in Portugal not in Spain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Frazier
United States
Amelia
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
duartec wrote:
There is also a mistake in one of the companies from the stretcht goals. Lisboa is in Portugal not in Spain.

Duarte,

That is a brutal mistake on my part - thank you for pointing it out before the campaign ended! I've fixed it on the story page, and will be sure it is correct in the components and documentation.

Ron,

As for Sankt Peterburg and Napoli, I've long since repaired those mistakes (they were pointed out in the thread attached to the red zone image in the images section). I didn't want to drive BGG admins nuts with such a trivial image update, so never posted another one. I'm not even sure I can change the image...

As for Constantinople, since the region represented is the Ottoman Empire, we're sticking with it as is. Ed agonized over it for quite a while, and I'm quite happy to defer to his judgment

Igor,

I have Moscow spelled "Moscva", as we're going with transliterations of the Cyrillic for the Russian text. Is that not correct?

-Mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
Mark,

there's no way to change an image on BGG - you can only upload a new one (although you could delete the old one).

And regarding Moscow, I'd follow Igor's spelling of "Moskva" as he displays a Russian flag and should know best.

And thanks for listening to fanboys like me meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Igor Larchenko
Russia
Ivanteevka
Moscow region
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ganraeln wrote:
I have Moscow spelled "Moscva", as we're going with transliterations of the Cyrillic for the Russian text. Is that not correct?

I think that Moskva is better and closer to original russian word:

Moscow. Yaroslavsky station. - "sk" is usual in russian names (Berezovsky, Skolkovo).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernst Knauth
Germany
Erdmannhausen
BW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pard wrote:
Ganraeln wrote:

Moscow. Yaroslavsky station. - "sk" is usual in russian names (Berezovsky, Skolkovo).

The explanation is quite simple:

"MOCKBA" is written in cyrillic letters (which in this case all look like any of our usual letters, but some have a different meaning).
"MOCKBA" means the same as "Moskva", since the cyrillic "C" is a "S" and the cyrillic "B" is a "V".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Frazier
United States
Amelia
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pard wrote:
Ganraeln wrote:

Roger that. I'll pass this along to Ed.

Thanks!

-Mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Martin
Canada
Ottawa
Ont.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's nobody's business but the Turks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.