W J
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
A discussion prompt I stole from a reddit post below but a question nevertheless I found very intriguing. http://www.reddit.com/r/boardgames/comments/1ieppt/if_you_we...

If you were forced to limit your game collection to games you played at least once a month, what would your collection look like?

Edit: By once a month, I mean since you purchased/owned the game. Also if you missed that one month of December because of month long traveling, family issues etc then you can make an exception and it still counts toward staying in your collection. I just mean that it is played frequently enough that when you look back you've played once a month consistently.

Please answer honestly--no cheating and squeezing in that favorite game you wish you played every month but can't find either the time/people to play it consistently.

P.S. I'm asking this question with a second motive--I think this is a great way to ask for game recommendations that you know will likely get lots of play time and good bang for the buck. Also means the game is fun and likely less epic/saga like **cough twilight imperium cough** which is the type of game I'm looking for anyways.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Pi-dt
United States
California
flag msg tools
Chess, Orbs CCG, Words with Friends, Krackades. If I were allowed to react in response to this once a month edict, I'd also start playing some games more often, like Banangrams, Poker, Solitaire, and Settlers of Catan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Tanner
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
BryceCon Game Convention Jan 15-18 in Southern Utah www.brycecon.com
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife just had a baby, so the only games I've played in the last month have been Flash Point:Fire Rescue, Elder Sign, Village and Mansions of Madness.

It'd be a pretty dismal collection, since there's so many games I have and want to play more often. But 2 jobs, a new baby, church obligations and a lack of players in this little 200 person town are crippling my gaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Charlton
United Kingdom
East Barnet
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
www.finchleygamesclub.org
mbmbmbmbmb
Over what time period?

The only games I played last month that I also played the month before were Dominion, Seasons and Tzolk'in. Go back a couple more months and I wasn't playing any of those three.

Edit: Oh, forgot Love Letter and King of Tokyo - end of evening games are always going to hang about regardless of the montly influx of new stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
only little card games:

Innovation, Race for the Galaxy, Glory to Rome, Ascension.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
Summoner Wars and pretty much nothing else if we did that for a year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christen
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Going by what I know I could get played, I'd probably have 5-6 games, one being Castles of Burgundy. Others probably shorter games, easier to get on the table.

If we go by my past history, none! When not confined to these limitations, I play a variety of games, instead of repeating. I will however check and see if there are any games I've played a few months in a row.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My collection would be empty. Just not enough time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen OConnor
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Glass Bead Board Games
badge
Read my blog
mbmbmbmbmb
It would just be a shed load of Magic: The Gathering. Maybe with some Berserk: War of the Realms.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Thematic Colors of Gaming Blog
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Galaxy Trucker
Star Wars: The Card Game
King of Tokyo
Pirate's Cove
Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game
Spartacus: A Game of Blood & Treachery

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elizabeth Lamar
United States
Clackamas
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Test
We would keep all of our games (we own 31). Every game gets played at least once a month. Agricola gets played the least because my husband doesn't like it, but I may start playing solo games with it since I enjoy it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Harmer-Barnes
United Kingdom
Rainham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Lock 'n Load: Forgotten Heroes – Vietnam
Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game
Champions of the Galaxy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Taylor
United Kingdom
Epping
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The only game I've played every month even for the last 6 months is probably Dominion (although I've probably played Agricola 5 out of 6).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Debije
Netherlands
Eindhoven
The Netherlands
flag msg tools
Just Combat Commander. I usually don't play the games more than once or twice a year. Several get plays only once or twice a decade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Satan Himself
United States
Dead Moines
Iowa
flag msg tools
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only games I've played in every calendar month since getting/learning them would be Race for the Galaxy, Indian Chief & Settlers. However I've all 3 less than 6 months. If I'm allowed things I've played an average of once per month I could add Carcassone & Citadels.

RftG and Indian Chief are the two games currently in my collection I'd expect to play the most in the next 6 months (they're both good games & work two player so I can play them with my wife).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I simply wouldn't have a collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vivienne Raper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dominion, Escape: Curse of the Temple, Forbidden Island, Monopoly Deal, Qwixx... Real heavy intellectual stuff, in other words.

Oh yeah, and Sentinels of the Multiverse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
It would like the collection of someone else. I don't want the collection of that poor soul.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Original Dibbler
Germany
Aachen
NRW
flag msg tools
designer
What's one damage?
badge
It's na-fing!
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no game I play every month.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Van Beurden
Belgium
Leuven
Vlaams-Brabant
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
... I'd start playing all my games once per month
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmb
Prolly 0 games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lev
United States
Fredericksburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
Duck and Cover!
mbmbmbmbmb
I would need to play much more often, otherwise I would have way too much shelf space. Empty shelf = sad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gienger
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I join the 0 games club, though as I only bought Airlines Europe last month and already played it twice, I think I could still own it, Maybe chess if I take an average of plays over time.
If Androminion counts to dominion with all expansions I surely play that more often.
But next month my collection will be probably empty if I take this ruleset to work
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Meredith
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
Everybody I know needs what I'm selling.
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me see:

Sentinels of the Multiverse
Arkham Horror
Summoner Wars

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.