Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Pfaff
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am interested in a larger game on the whole Pacific Theater. I want one with detailed naval rules, and care less about land combat. Two games I am interested in are USN Deluxe and Advanced Pacific Theater of Operations, which of these is better, or should I get a different game altogether?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Who's the master?
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
From what I hear, if you are ready for a beast of a campaign, the game that all others are measured against (at least at that level of granularity) is the out of print classic Pacific War: The Struggle Against Japan 1941-1945.

Fortunately for you, there is a copy on an auction that ends Friday and it's going for $41.

http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/159514/item/2722902#item27...

I bid on it, but then decided to stop because the game would be too much game for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
The biggest beast of the lot is War in the Pacific (second edition). Not only is it enormous, there's even a War in the Pacific Extension Kit which adds even more volume to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Humphries
Philippines
Unspecified
Metro Manila
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Across the Pacific hits the sweet spot for me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dougie LB
Wales
Bridgend
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
airjudden wrote:
From what I hear, if you are ready for a beast of a campaign, the game that all others are measured against (at least at that level of granularity) is the out of print classic Pacific War: The Struggle Against Japan 1941-1945.

Judd is correct, it is a beast and it has plenty of smaller scenarios to help you learn the systems before tackling the full campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
Pacific War is still, in my estimation, Mark Herman's magnum opus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Spak
United States
Spencer
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played any of the other games mentioned in this thread. But I'll throw in another vote for Pacific War, and Doug is correct - the learning curve is not that steep, the scenarios make it quite playable. It covers everything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Who's the master?
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
J.L.Robert wrote:
The biggest beast of the lot is War in the Pacific (second edition). Not only is it enormous, there's even a War in the Pacific Extension Kit which adds even more volume to it.

I saw a copy of that game at a FLGS.

I have my copy of Tide of Iron's coffin box loaded up with the base game and two expansions. And I thing think WitP STILL weighed more. I actually grunted when I picked it up because I didn't expect it to be that packed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCormick
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
airjudden wrote:
J.L.Robert wrote:

I saw a copy of that game at a FLGS.

I have my copy of Tide of Iron's coffin box loaded up with the base game and two expansions. And I thing WitP STILL weighed more. I actually grunted when I picked it up because I didn't expect it to be that packed.

Supposed to be a terrible design, though. Basically unplayable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Irsik
United States
Clearfield
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wrote a review for USN Deluxe that you can find here on BGG and while I think it does a good job of simulating the Pacific War, it's not for everyone. Definitely an old school type game with a lot, and I mean a lot of turns along with a clockwork sequence of play. I own several Pacific War games and it's the only one I have that shows the grinding nature of the campaign. Long treks across a vast ocean, picking off a few air points here and there, building airbases, etc., where you can see the Japanese slowly getting ground down and overwhelmed(they still have a better than 50/50 chance to win the game). However, this may take you three months of game play!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Jackasses? You let a whole column get stalled and strafed on account of a couple of jackasses? What the hell's the matter with you?
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll put in my vote for Asia Engulfed. The block system provides for some very nice fog of war, and the naval interception system is terrific. You never know quite what the other guy has in mind when he's making a naval move, and whether this one is a feint to ignore or a main attack to risk it all on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Willcockson
United States
Washington
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DarrellKH wrote:

This one would be your best bet I think. Get a used copy of the VG Pacific War and then hopefully sometime in the next couple of years Herman and MMP will put out a new version of it. My fantasy would be for him to go on to design an ETO game to go with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd tend to go for something like the Pacific Victory block game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt

Butte
Montana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pacific War is going to be re-printed...some day. You can read all about it on CSW and Mark is good about explaining the changes he is making.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Pfaff
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
airjudden wrote:

Fortunately for you, there is a copy on an auction that ends Friday and it's going for $41.

I bid on it, but then decided to stop because the game would be too much game for me.

Thanks for the link, I think I will get Pacific War, War in the Pacific is too much game for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfgang Kunz
Germany
Netphen
flag msg tools
badge
I'm German. That's what we do...
mbmbmbmbmb
Mark_WH wrote:
Across the Pacific hits the sweet spot for me

Another vote for this one. From a small company but worth it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfgang Kunz
Germany
Netphen
flag msg tools
badge
I'm German. That's what we do...
mbmbmbmbmb
airjudden wrote:
...stop because the game would be too much game for me.

No, it isn't. Not for you - trust me in this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Who's the master?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aapkw9 wrote:
airjudden wrote:

Thanks for the link, I think I will get Pacific War, War in the Pacific is too much game for me.

If you lose the auction, there are a couple on the marketplace going for $50 & $60, respectively. That surprises me. I always thought that this game goes for about $90.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
I got two copies for under $40 each, IIRC. One was pristine, the other
has problems (photocopied rules, played, some counters cat-chewed).

The lousy copy came from CSW Marketplace, without sufficient warning.
So watch it there - there aren't the same protections.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Mitchell
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I don't know what you have to say, it makes no difference anyway: whatever it is, I'm against it!
mbmbmbmbmb
airjudden wrote:

Pacific War is definitely a fantastic game, but it bears mentioning that it was not designed with the purpose of simulating the entire war. Its focus is on operations and campaigns. The game does include a scenario covering the entire war, but it's not the focus of the game. It was really only included because Mark and VG thought (probably correctly) that it wouldn't sell as well if it didn't have the whole enchilada.

If you're looking for a game that captures the way campaigns in the Pacific were run, Pacific War is certainly your best bet. But I would not make it my go-to for playing it out start to finish. It works, but the engine just isn't built for that purpose.

As someone with extensive interest in PTO games, I own and have played most of the options available (Pacific Fleet is the one major entry that I've yet to play). My verdict is that there still isn't a game that gets it entirely right. Adam's initial options — USN Deluxe and APTO — are both good, though. Both are old-school designs with loads of new chrome added on top.

Across the Pacific is another good option, but I'm personally not a fan of the more design-for-effect/gamey mechanics.

To be honest, the game that I'm mostly likely to pull out if I just want to play around in the Pacific for a little bit is A World at War. The Third Reich system is one of the first wargame rulesets that I learned, so it's one that is second-nature to me in a lot of ways. And I enjoy most of the fiddly details that have been added over the years. I'm not saying it's the most accurate simulation, but it's the one that I enjoy the most and feel most at home with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Harper
United States
Maricopa
AZ
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TomW731 wrote:
DarrellKH wrote:

This one would be your best bet I think. Get a used copy of the VG Pacific War and then hopefully sometime in the next couple of years Herman and MMP will put out a new version of it. My fantasy would be for him to go on to design an ETO game to go with it.

I throw in another vote for Pacific War. Sounds just what you need, based upon your stated requirements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
I drink and I know things
badge
Night gathers and now my watch begins
mbmbmbmbmb
Another vote here for Pacific War: The Struggle Against Japan 1941-1945 . A simply outstanding game. You can play this on the level of engagements (Savo Island), Battles (Midway), Campaigns (Guadalcanal), or the entire War. And yes the whole Campaign does work just fine (although it takes a long, long, time). I played the whole war out twice back in the 80's when this first came out and its one of the most memorable (in a good way!) experiences I've had in Wargaming. I had an online discussion with Mark Herman here on BGG about it and he said he'd played out the Campaign 3 times (I believe).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Who's the master?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DarrellKH wrote:

I have got to play this. (Bill, why don't you teach me?)

I couldn't think Mark Herman could get any more Magnus Opusy than We the People. Then I played Washington's War and saw how perfection could be improved.

Then I played Empire of the Sun, and even though Washington's War is still my favorite game, I think EotS his Magnum Opus.

I played France 1944 afterward, and it's not his Magnum Opus, but it may very well be the most awesome simple hex-and-counter game I've come across. And For the People rocks.

I think he's playing with his. He keeps trumping himself just to show us that he can. ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Fridy
United States
Kent
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Omega Games Carrier War: The War in the Pacific 1941-1945 puts a lot of effort into the limited intelligence of the conflict...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Mitchell
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I don't know what you have to say, it makes no difference anyway: whatever it is, I'm against it!
mbmbmbmbmb
airjudden wrote:
Then I played Empire of the Sun, and even though Washington's War is still my favorite game, I think EotS his Magnum Opus.

Ha! I don't know how I could have forgotten Empire of the Sun! It's not my go-to game for PTO, but it's probably one of the tightest games, from a design perspective.

I actually think that my prior experience with Pacific War helped me understand a lot of what was going on in EotS, because of that operational focus in each. In Pacific War, the operation is the full scenario; in EotS, it's each card play (not exactly, but more or less). And maybe that's a large part of the reason why EotS was something I was able to pick up so naturally; and why I don't quite understand why so many others have difficulty grokking it.

Or maybe it's because I'm not a heavy CDG player, and so the tropes of CDGs which EotS eschews didn't interfere with my learning the game. As I've said before, I don't think EotS is a difficult ruleset in the least. It's different, though. And perhaps that difference is even more stark for those with heavy exposure to 'normal' CDGs, à la We the People or Paths of Glory.

??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.