Popular Tags: [View All]
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Quote:
Vatican offers 'time off purgatory' to followers of Pope Francis tweets

Papal court handling pardons for sins says contrite Catholics may win 'indulgences' by following World Youth Day on Twitter

Isn't that a kind of blackmailing? "Look, we made up these guys that might torch your restaurant. You can dare call the bluff, or just take the safer bet and read my tweets"

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jul/16/vatican-indulgen...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The remissions got a bad name in the Middle Ages because unscrupulous churchmen sold them for large sums of money.

No kidding. I don't see how indulgences can not be seen as a tool of Evil.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Vaccari
Italy
Nonantola (Mo)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Uhm... very strange that Vatican offers something for free.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How much more irrelevant can they make the church, well they have not yet offered indulgences for liking the pope on addbook, but give it time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, technically, you don't "burn" in purgatory. It's more like you would feel mildly uncomfortable for a long time, while detecting a rather musty odour. Imagine sitting in a bus station at around 2 in the morning - that's how I picture purgatory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Metal Undivided, Chaos For All
mbmbmbmbmb
desertfox2004 wrote:
Well, technically, you don't "burn" in purgatory. It's more like you would feel mildly uncomfortable for a long time, while detecting a rather musty odour. Imagine sitting in a bus station at around 2 in the morning - that's how I picture purgatory.

I imagine it like being in a room by yourself for eternity. One wall has a picture window overlooking hell and the other has a picture window overlooking heaven. You spend your eternity vacillating between "it could be better" and "it could be worse", but it's always lonely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Theologically speaking, Purgatory is closer to God than earth and it's a punched ticket to Heaven so in a way it's better than being stuck here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Ross
United States
Charlotte
NC
flag msg tools
badge
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
mbmbmbmbmb
The concepts of Purgatory and indulgences are fascinating glimpses into the hubris of man if god does exist, and another reason to back away from the insanity of organized religion for those of us that are agnostics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Necessary Evil
United States
Glen Arm
Maryland
flag msg tools
Yes, I play the Bass.
badge
Sweet Holy Moses, Fruit F*cker Prime!
mbmbmbmbmb
Theologically speaking, Purgatory is something Catholics MADE-UP.

-M
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
malloc wrote:

Well..., isn't that something you could say about the tenets of every religion? So what's your point exactly?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Man thinks, the river flows.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Viki3m wrote:
Uhm... very strange that Vatican offers something for free.

Sponsored links, but the 10,000th follower gets a Cardinalship for free. It's a very attractive package.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
kuhrusty wrote:
Quote:
The remissions got a bad name in the Middle Ages because unscrupulous churchmen sold them for large sums of money.

That's what got Martin Luther all pissed off back in the day.

May the devil stay with you in this blasphemous, murderous, sinful, pernicious thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
kuhrusty wrote:
Quote:

What else can one say here, except that these ideas originate in your own wanton concoctions, or in a drunken dream?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
designer
mb
desertfox2004 wrote:
Well, technically, you don't "burn" in purgatory.
Sorry - it's called "Fire of purification" in my language so I thought it involved burning. Thanks for the explanation. I love bus stations at 2 am so I'll pass on those tweets
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Schaeffer
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
djgutierrez77 wrote:
bjlillo wrote:
kuhrusty wrote:
Quote:

What else can one say here, except that these ideas originate in your own wanton concoctions, or in a drunken dream?

You curse, blaspheme, skriek, struggle, bellow, and spit, so that, if people really heard you utter words, they would gather with chains and bars, just as if you were possessed by a legion of devils and had to be seized and bound.

(So many people around here I would say this to....)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Mondainai wrote:
desertfox2004 wrote:
Sorry - it's called "Fire of purification" in my language so I thought it involved burning. Thanks for the explanation. I love bus stations at 2 am so I'll pass on those tweets

People also say they are "burning with desire", in your language does that mean they are actually on fire?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
jmilum wrote:
Mondainai wrote:
desertfox2004 wrote:
Sorry - it's called "Fire of purification" in my language so I thought it involved burning. Thanks for the explanation. I love bus stations at 2 am so I'll pass on those tweets ;)

People also say they are "burning with desire", in your language does that mean they are actually on fire?

And today the role of the world-renowned wrongtarian, slatersteven, will be played by jmilum.
Don't be too sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Don't be too sure.

Gently, dear Pauli, dear donkey, don't dance around! Oh, dearest little ass, don't dance around - dearest, dearest little donkey, don't do it. For the ice is very solidly frozen this year because there was no wind - you might fall and break a leg. If a fart should escape you while you were falling, the whole world would laugh at you and say, "Ugh, the devil! How the ass has befouled himself!" And that would be a great crime. Oh, that would be dangerous! So consider your own great danger beforehand, Hellish One.

From Against the Roman Papacy, an Institution of the Devil, pg. 280 of Luther's Works, Vol. 41
Cor I was famous even in the pre=Reformation age.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
designer
mb
jmilum wrote:

Haha, no, that'd be crazy. Almost as crazy as living after you die, in a sort of lobby where you wait for years and years to make up for things you did in your first life and did not compensate by donating candles and following the right Twitter accounts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Mondainai wrote:
jmilum wrote:

Haha, no, that'd be crazy. Almost as crazy as living after you die, in a sort of lobby where you wait for years and years to make up for things you did in your first life and did not compensate by donating candles and following the right Twitter accounts.

The years part, at least, is meaningless since Purgatory is not of this universe time would have no meaning.

I just wonder if the Holy See thought this up on their own, or if Twitter was involved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
Catholics and Christians are supposed to rely upon the texts that have already been written rather than making up their own new stuff, though.

"The Universe is something God just MADE UP."

Yep, that works too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jmilum wrote:
malloc wrote:

Well..., isn't that something you could say about the tenets of every religion? So what's your point exactly?

It's not about the "point"... it's about the soapbox for snark.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jmilum wrote:
Mondainai wrote:
desertfox2004 wrote:

Depends... are we talking pre-sypilis or post-syphilis?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.