Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul D
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb

Eclipse Diplomacy Cards (ArtsCow)

Let me first say a bit about the motivation for this.

Eclipse is a great game. But it's certainly not perfect. There are 3 alleged issues that you often hear people raise against Eclipse: (1) that unlucky hex draws can effectively leave a player out of the game, (2) games can often play out pretty similarly -- at least insofar as players often wait until round 8-ish before really attacking one another, and (3) runaway leaders. Personally, I think these issues are overstated -- players need to react to the game as it develops; Eclipse wouldn't be as good if players were able to just decide a strategy before the game started and then just go through the motions. Nevertheless, if things go poorly, a player can find herself around the end of the 2nd or 3rd round with no real chance of victory -- just a seat on the sidelines and the knowledge that the next few hours won't be as exciting as hoped.

This deck is aimed at giving unlucky players a glimmer of hope, placating the naysayers, instigating early wars, making the diplomatic relations between player more dynamic, and trying to ensure the victory points will be close in the end. The inspiration was drawn from the action cards in Clash of Cultures and the cards in War of the Ring.

The impact of these cards on the game is intended to be limited and slight; these cards are not a 'game changer' in any monumental sense. In a game, only 10-20 cards will be dealt (total); only half will likely be played. What they do, and how best to use them, is subtle and highly situational. And it often isn't the case that a player will be able to use them against a weaker one.

I understand that they won't be for everyone. And that's fine. But I thought I'd share them here for constructive comments and for others who might be interested in this sort of thing. Eclipse doesn't need them, but I think they offer a bit more flavour by way of enabling players to mess with each other passive aggressively and give those weaker players a hope and a chance at having an exciting game.

Immediately below is the ruleset for them. The details for all the card abilities follow afterwards. (The cards themselves don't have all the info below -- for some there was just too much to fit on a card). At the very end is the ArtsCow link. In the coming days I can try to upload a nicely formatted .pdf to the file section with all the info below.

By all means ask questions and I can try to address them. With all the difference races, I'm sure I haven't thought of everything. Constructive comments are welcome.

---

Eclipse Diplomacy Cards

CARD OVERVIEW
Each diplomacy card is divided into two halves (top/bottom). Any 1 card may only be played in 1 of 2 ways: for the top half (action; yellow border) or for the bottom half (battle; red border). The top half can only be played, as described below, during your turn; the bottom half can be only be played, as described below, during a battle in which you are participating. Any one card can only be played once, and then is discarded; a card can only be player for either it's action or its battle effect.

SET-UP
Shuffle the cards and place them near the board; this forms the draw deck.

At the beginning of the game, half the players receive 1 card each. The players who receive a card are those in the latter half of the turn order. If playing with an odd number of players, round down the number of players who receive a card.

Example 1: In a 4 player game, the 3rd and 4th player each receive 1 card.

Example 2: In a 5 player game, only the 4th and 5th players each receive 1 card.

HAND LMIT
At the end of each round, at start of the upkeep phase but before civilization upkeep, each player may hold as many cards as there are action discs on her influence track. If a player has more cards than discs on her influence track, she must immediately discard the excess cards. (Note: This is before the Bankruptcy check; players only check if they are over the hand limit at the end of every round.)

Example 3: A player has 3 unused action discs on her influence track at the end of the turn. She currently holds 4 cards. Thus, she must immediately discard 1 card.

DRAWING CARDS
There are three ways a player might draw a card:

As part of a failed Explore Action
If a player takes an explore action and does not place the drawn hex (i.e. if she discards it), the player draws 1 card.

At the end of the Round
At the start of the upkeep phase, before civilization upkeep but after the hand limit check, the player with the fewest colonized planets may draw 1 card. If multiple players are tied for the fewest planets, no one draws a card in this way. (Again, this is before the bankruptcy check.) Note: for these purposes, Orbitals count as planets.

As part of Diplomatic Relations
When you enter into diplomatic relations with a player, you may give her one of your cards(of your choice); if you do, you may draw a replacement from the deck. The target player must agree to receive the card. Both players may do this. Players decide to offer a card simultaneously; i.e. before either looks at the card she’ll receive. (Note: this can only be done when you establish diplomatic relations with a player and only once.)

Example 4: Jimmy proposes diplomatic relations with Jonny. Jonny accepts. Jimmy offers Jonny a card. Jonny accepts, so Jimmy draws a replacement. (If Jonny offers a card and Jimmy accepts, Jonny would also draw a card.)

GENERAL RULES
Players may not look at each other’s hands of cards and may not discuss what cards they have.

You may target players who have passed (for those cards which require you to target a player).

Cards cannot be played as reactions; i.e. after you’ve passed. (Exceptions: the “Sabotage” card, and any card used during a battle for its battle effect.)

Important!: Some cards are noted with a special symbol (*). These cards cannot be used against a player who controls fewer planets than you. Note: for these purposes, Orbitals count as planets.

Note: Players who have their diplomatic relations broken or annulled cannot reform diplomatic relations until the next game round.

PLAYING A DIPLOMACY CARD DURING AN ACTION ROUND
Diplomacy cards may be played, for the top half effect, by a player on her turn. A player may only use 1 card on any 1 of her turns. Any time she does so, she reveals the card, resolves its effect, and places it in the discard pile.

If a card says “___ Action” (e.g “Move Action”), then this card alters what you do when executing an Action of that type. Some modify the specified action, others allow you to do something different instead. (Note: A player is only able to do that which the card dictates; e.g. if a player plays a “Move Action” card, she resolves the card – doing that which it allows – then her turn ends.)

If a card says “Free Action”, a player may play and resolve this card before taking a normal action. Doing so does not spend an action disc. She may then do an regular action as normal.

PLAYING A DIPLOMACY CARD DURING BATTLE
Cards may be played, for the bottom half effect, by a player during a battle in which she is participating. A player may only use 1 card in each battle. At the start of each engagement round, the attacker first declares whether or not she will play a card. Then the defender declares. Then, both players reveal their chosen cards (if any). Any time a player does so, she reveals the card, resolves its effect, and places it in the discard pile. The effects only apply for a single engagement round of the battle -- i.e. current round only. (A player must decide before each engagement round if she will use a card during that engagement round, respecting the overarching rule that each player can only play 1 battle card during any 1 battle.)

Important!: Cards cannot be played in battles against the Ancients.

NEW TERMINOLOGY:
Some cards allow to you annul diplomatic relations. Annulling a diplomatic relation has the same effect as breaking a diplomatic relation (e.g. ambassadors are returned); however if a diplomatic relation is annulled, the Traitor card is not acquired by either player.

If a card says “Req. Dip. Rel”, it means that you must have diplomatic relations with the player you target with that card; you cannot target a player with whom you don’t have diplomatic relations.

If a card says “May Annul”, it means that the targeted player (not the active player who plays the card) may annul the diplomatic relations with the active player. She decides if she’ll do so once the active player finishes resolving the card effect. (Note: “Labour Camps” allows any player with whom the active player has diplomatic relations to annul their diplomatic relations with the active player; resolve this in turn order.)

ACTION CARD DETAILS & ERRATA

Labour Camps
Free Action: You may move up to 3 of your Population Cubes (at most 1 from each track), from their tracks to your population graveyard. (They’re returned to their respective tracks, as per normal rules, after the Upkeep phase.) For each cube you move, you must flip/use 1 colony ship. Cannot be played in the first 2 Game Rounds. Any player may immediately annul their diplomatic relations with you.

Orbital Refit
Influence Action: You may remove any or all the Population Cubes in any of your orbitals, returning them to the Science or Money Tracks, and resettle the orbitals with using your Colony Ships.

Trade Negotiations
Free Action: Nominate a player with whom you have diplomatic relations. You may trade resources with that player (only this once). That player must agree to the trade. You cannot play this if you control the most planets.

Salvage Build
Build Action: Remove 1 of you ships in exchange for half of its value in Minerals (rounded down). Then, conduct your build action as normal.

Immigrants*
Influence Action. Take 1 Population Cube from any of your Population Tracks and add it to one of your diplomats currently deployed to a player with whom you have diplomatic relations.

Refugees*
Influence Action. Take a Population Cube from any of your Population Tracks and put it on the end of any Population Track belonging to a player with whom you do not have a diplomatic relations. You and the targeted play but control adjacent hexes. If you and that player later form diplomatic relations, that cube returns to your population track.

Patent Licence*
Research Action: Choose a player with whom you have diplomatic relations. Choose one of her technologies that you do not have. Pay that player its full science cost and take that technology from her (the cost is not reduced). Then, that player may immediately annul their diplomatic relation with you. (If this technology allows ship Upgrade components, the target player does not lose any built Upgrades, but she can no longer add them.)

Open Access Information
Research Action: You may reach any one available technology at its minimum cost so long as that technology has already been researched by a player with whom you have diplomatic relations.

Subspace Relay
Free Action: You may propose diplomatic relations with any 1 player, forgoing the normal connection rules.

Retribution*
Influence Action: Play after a player breaks diplomatic relations with you (in the current game round only). The player who broke the diplomatic relations with you immediately discards 1 of her Diplomacy Cards at random or 1 of her reputation tiles at random (your choice). If that player does not have the traitor card, she takes it immediately.

Manipulation
Free Action: Annul a diplomatic relation between 2 other players. These players may not resume the diplomatic relation until the next game round.

Safe Passage
Movement Action: Nominate a player with whom you have a diplomatic relations. If she agrees, you may pass through, but not end your movement in, hexes containing that player's units or Influence Discs. Doing so does not pin your ships, nor cause you to break diplomatic relations with that player.

Sabotage*
Influence Action: Choose a player with whom you have diplomatic relations. Remove 1 ship Upgrade component from any one of her ship blueprints. Then, that player may immediately annul their diplomatic relations with you. (This may be played as a reaction.) Note: ship blueprints obtained through development tiles are not eligible targets for this card.

Defectors*
Influence Action: Choose a player with whom you have diplomatic relations who has at least 1 interceptor in a hex adjacent to a hex you control. That player must remove 1 interceptor from that hex; you may build 1 interceptor in your hex for free. Then, that player may immediately annul their diplomatic relations with you.

Taskforce
Move Action: You may move all your ships in 1 hex which has no enemy units to an adjacent hex which contains no enemy units. You cannot do any other movement this turn.

Spies
Free Action: Choose a player with whom you have diplomatic relations. You may look at another player's hand of Diplomacy Cards or her Reputation Tiles. Then, that player may immediately annul their diplomatic relation with you.

BATTLE CARD DETAILS & ERRATA

Priority Orders*
You may attack the population cubes, instead of ships, during this engagement round. (If you have Neutron Bombs, all cubes are automatically destroyed.) As usual, any cubes destroyed this engagement round are placed in the graveyard. (If, at the end of battle, all cubes are destroyed, but the target player still has ships in the hex, her influence disc is not removed.)

Concentrated Fire*
Choose an enemy ship. If you damage it this round, it suffers an additional point of damage.

Offensive Retreat
Any of your ships which begin to retreat this Engagement round may fire during their retreat (as if they weren’t retreating).

Advantageous Position
If you have an influence disc in the hex in which the battle is fought, all your ships fire first, regardless of initiative. (May only be played in the 1st engagement round.)

Flanking Formations
You may re-roll any 1 die of yours during this engagement round.

Repair Bots
You may remove all damage cubes from 1 as yet undestroyed ship.

Intimidation*
Play if only you have a Dreadnaught in the battle. You may force your opponent to re-roll any 1 die.

Confusion*
Any unmodified die result of “1” that your opponent rolls scores 1 point of damage against her own ships (she decides which ships take the damage).

Intercepted Transmission
Cancel the Card played by your opponent.

EMP Blast*
Choose a ship. It does not fire this engagement round.

Heroic Death*
Choose 1 of your ships. Instead of rolling for it, it automatically hits on all dice. Then remove the ship.

Decoys
Immediately retreat all of your ships of one type. The other player cannot fire at them.

Deadly Strife
Both players add 2 to all dice on their combat rolls. (Any other dice modifiers still apply. Results of "1" still count as misses.)

Armada*
If at the end of this engagement round, after removing casualties, you have at least twice as many ships as the other player, score 1 point of damage against one of her ships.

---

ArtsCow link:

http://www.artscow.com/gallery/playing-cards/eclipse-cards-c...

With an appropriate coupon, you can probably get one delivered for $5-$10.

Note: For the card back, I borrowed the placeholder art for the game -- if they object, I'll change it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
charlie riegle
United States
norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
First of all, I really like this! Great job! Of course, some playtesting and clarifications may be necessary for some of the cards. For instance, Taskforce: do ancients count as enemy ships? Advantageous Position: The defender has a ship(s) with no missiles. Does he fire cannons BEFORE the attacker (armed with missiles) launches missiles? Offensive Retreat: Can the retreating player fire missiles again? (I would say NO) A couple of the cards cay be overpowered in certain situations, (EMP Blast and Heroic Death) against heavily armed missile ships, for example.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmund Ward
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
YES, let's Ameritrash this sucker up
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul D
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
skeezicks66 wrote:
First of all, I really like this! Great job!

Thanks!

skeezicks66 wrote:
Of course, some playtesting and clarifications may be necessary for some of the cards.

More playtesting and clarifying is always worthwhile (and revising as necessary) -- I'm hoping you (and others) will help me out...!

skeezicks66 wrote:
do ancients count as enemy ships?

Yes, ancients count as enemy ships.

skeezicks66 wrote:
Advantageous Position: The defender has a ship(s) with no missiles. Does he fire cannons BEFORE the attacker (armed with missiles) launches missiles?

The rules stipulate that missiles are fired before engagement rounds. And Battle cards are played at the start of engagement rounds. So, Battle cards cannot be used to effect missiles.

(A battle goes like this: (1) fire missiles, (2) play Battle cards [resolve effects], (3) conduct engagement round [(a) attack or (b) retreat, in initiative order], (4) played Battle cards effects end, and [repeat steps (2)-(4) as necessary].)

Good question. I think the OP rules are vague on this point. Hopefully this makes sense (and sounds reasonable)?

skeezicks66 wrote:
Offensive Retreat: Can the retreating player fire missiles again? (I would say NO)

I would say no as well.

---

Thanks for the questions!

I'm not sure if all the Action/Battle pairings are ideal, but I think most present players with interesting decisions to make about when they'd be best played.

I also think I should have tried to squeeze more details for some cards onto the cards (instead of just leaving it in the errata where it can be forgotten), eg That you may move at most 1 cube from each track with Labour Camps...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Müller
Germany
Karlsdorf
flag msg tools
I work on a diplomacy variant for Eclipse too. There are so many such variants, why I come to the conclusion:
1. Eclipse is such a great game that many people want to contribute.
2. Diplomacy is the thing #1 that people want to see in Eclipse.

Your variant stands out as I think you nailed down perfectly the very few issues Eclipse has and you offer a good solution for them. I like how the cards are dealt so that those players who fall behind gain more choices how to act. Sounds like a cool addition to Eclipse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Melenberg
Canada
Prince Rupert
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very cool variant! I like where you are going with this and allowing for those falling behind to catch up a little. Usually by turn 5-6 some people are kinda "out of it". I think this will help with that!

You already have a some great ideas with these cards, but I love your idea and came up with a few of my own if you are interested...

Homing Beacon: Move Action - You may jump all of your ships regardless of pinning to you homeworld as long as you control it

Efficient Upgrade: Upgrade Action - you may upgrade any ship blueprints with only one kind of ship part to a maximum of 5 times (or maybe 4)

Fated Retreat: Battle - If you successfully retreat at least one ship from a battle with another player take a free discovery tile.

Kamikaze: Sacrifice all ships at the start of the first engagement round after missiles. Destroy 1 ship of your choice. If you had 4+ ships destroy a second.

Asteroid Huddle1: Battle - All your ships use the edge of an asteroid field as shields. Opponents hit only on 6's for the first engagement round.

Asteroid Huddle2: Battle - All your ships use the edge of an asteroid field as shields. Gain shields (-2) for the first engagement round.

Not sure which Asteroid huddle would be better. 1 might be overpowered. Feel free to tweak any of the ideas if you like them.

Again - thanks for this idea. Looking forward to trying it out sometime. Unfortunately most of my games at the moment are 2p, though I can see these helping to change the flow of the game from producing an obvious winner

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Helmer
Canada
Windsor
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Love the work! I'll order a set and try them out. Have to really say the fan base for this game has been creating some excellent variants, coupled with thematic graphics to boot. Always enjoy trying anything for my favourite game that has this much work put into it... cards seem, like you said, not 'game changers' but offer flagging players some subtle gains. Keepup the good work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nik Loveland
United States
Brigham City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've put the rules into a short pdf. I still haven't played it yet but I wanted to have the rules with me as I was playing. You can find it here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/93618/eclipse-diplomac...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul D
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
nikloveland wrote:
I've put the rules into a short pdf. I still haven't played it yet but I wanted to have the rules with me as I was playing. You can find it here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/93618/eclipse-diplomac...

Wow! You've done an amazing job with it! (I've been meaning to get a pdf of the rules up for a while, but life got in the way.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian
Germany
Mülheim an der Ruhr
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just ordered your cards from Artscow. I really look forward to checking them out. Great job!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim van Gruisen
Netherlands
Den Bosch
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
sychobob wrote:
I work on a diplomacy variant for Eclipse too. There are so many such variants, why I come to the conclusion:
1. Eclipse is such a great game that many people want to contribute.
2. Diplomacy is the thing #1 that people want to see in Eclipse.

As for your conclusion #2: there are more fanbased races now than official ones, I believe And there are certainly more fully developed fanbased races than fully developed dip variants. So if you determine what players want to see in Eclipse by counting what they are developing, fanbased races makes a good run for a number 1 position.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forrest & Ryan Driskel
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, has anyone played with these cards? How did it go? The idea seems pretty reasonable to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul D
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Vanish wrote:
So, has anyone played with these cards? How did it go? The idea seems pretty reasonable to me.

Well, I have... but I'd also be keen to hear if others have.

The impact on game play is more subtle that you might expect. They just add a few more interesting decisions and allow for some interesting surprises and narrative twists.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Lacey
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd also be interested to hear more feedback. I've played Twilight Imperium (the original) twice in the last few months, and I'm definitely digging it more than Eclipse right now. Eclipse however plays much faster, and I've been thinking about adding something like the Political phase and Action cards to Eclipse.

One thing that we have trouble doing in our game is passing on "bad"/"weak" hexes for the thought that it is almost as much of a waste to not take the hex as it is to have a weaker hex. I think passing would be easier to do if it resulted in an Action card as well...so good idea there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey those cards look really cool, great work! Could you upload them as a .pdf here please?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Str
msg tools
So, is this add-on uploaed as .pdf file somewhere?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Pilhatsch
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmb
I have bought the cards via Art's Cow.
First of all, they look great. I would wish for a little stronger stock for the cards, like VTES cards (a CCG), but otherwise they are ok. I opted to sleeve them.

We have not played with the cards yet, but some suggestions at first glance would be to use symbols instead of "Annul", "Requires diplomatic relations", etc. as it would feel a bit more smooth.

I'll report back when we play a game with the cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Pilhatsch
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmb
We have played our first game with the diplomacy cards. More details later.

Question about "Manipulation":
Two other players have an alliance. I play Manipulation on them. What happens to their alliance?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Pilhatsch
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmb
So, here is my immediate feedback after my first ever game with the diplomacy cards.

My feelings are mixed about this addition to Eclipse. On one hand, I think that diplomatic relations are rather weak in Eclipse. On the other hand, lots of the cards just don't seem to fit naturally into the game.

Short description of the game:
We had 5 players: Planta (starting player), Humans, Orion, Draco (me), and Exiles.
We had Supernova, Nebula and Pulsar in the game, along with one Ancient Hive to fill player slot 6.
Draco had a bad start (or made bad decisions yuk) and found himself cut off to the core by neighbour Orion, who also snatched the homeworld of Draco away. Draco reduced to 3 Tier-3 hexes for the rest of the game.
Exiles and Planta establish diplomatic relations early on and subsequently enter an alliance.
The human player was doing ok, though with no particular strategy in mind. He did not upgrade his ships very well, though.
The Orion player took on the Exiles but did not achieve all too much.
Planta took center and held it the whole game.
Planta then researched Plasma Missiles and equipped his big ships with them and 3+ computers. Indeed, Dreadnougths got 2 of the +3 computers.

In the end, the alliance won, Orion 2nd, Draco 3rd and Human 4th.

Back to the diplomacy cards.
In battle, only 1 card was ever played, where the card gave a reroll, did not make any impact.
Another card would have been played, if the player would have remembered to play it at the start of the engagement round. devil

Cards that were played for their action-effect:
Manipulation
Immigrants

Manipulation was played 2 times in the game, at one point against a team that had an alliance. This raised the question what would happen.
We ruled that the alliance was ended, with the ex-partners keeping their Alliance token face-up, just as if only one partner had left.
They later on forged a new alliance, taking another set of alliance tokens.

Being the player with least populated cubes each turn allowed me to draw lots of diplomacy cards. However, I couldn't use any of them because I had either no diplomatic relations to anyone, or the cards (e.g. Defector) were way to situational. So the cards sat in my hands doing nothing. I could have used them in battle, but had no ships, and they would not have made any difference against the strong fleets of the other players.

The general consensus was, that the played cards worked against the spirit of the game, where your actions decide what you can do. "Manipulation" has just the feel of a spite-card.

Also, the planta-player was loath to enter any diplomatic relations because he didn't want to have a couple of cubes on his board from another player due to "Immigrants".

All in all, I had the impression that the cards were rather non-relevant and sometimes even disruptive.

My suggestions (after playing a single game with them, mind you):

.) Keep cards with requirements as few as possible, or do away with them.

.) Cards should have a "fallback option" (outside combat), that give a at least a minimalistic bonus.
E.g.
"Gain 1 material of your choice, or ."

.) Maybe there could be a card that would be put into play, and each time another player breaks diplomatic relationships with you, you put a counter on it and at the end of the game you gain that many VPs.

.) All the cards should follow the same method to be played. I'd suggest just like "Free Actions", before their respective action-type, if any. That would make it a lot more easy to remeber. Folks tend to forget when to play cards and arguments slow down the game.

.) It would be good, if there would be more direct incentives for other players to enter diplomatic relationships. (Players might get one-shot extra-ressources or stuff.)

That's it for now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul D
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Amenophobis wrote:
We have played our first game with the diplomacy cards. More details later.

Question about "Manipulation":
Two other players have an alliance. I play Manipulation on them. What happens to their alliance?

Good question! I would have said Manipulation cannot be played on players in an alliance, but I think the way you ruled it also makes sense.

Amenophobis wrote:
So, here is my immediate feedback after my first ever game with the diplomacy cards.

My feelings are mixed about this addition to Eclipse. On one hand, I think that diplomatic relations are rather weak in Eclipse. On the other hand, lots of the cards just don't seem to fit naturally into the game.

Short description of the game:
We had 5 players: Planta (starting player), Humans, Orion, Draco (me), and Exiles.
We had Supernova, Nebula and Pulsar in the game, along with one Ancient Hive to fill player slot 6.
Draco had a bad start (or made bad decisions yuk) and found himself cut off to the core by neighbour Orion, who also snatched the homeworld of Draco away. Draco reduced to 3 Tier-3 hexes for the rest of the game.
Exiles and Planta establish diplomatic relations early on and subsequently enter an alliance.
The human player was doing ok, though with no particular strategy in mind. He did not upgrade his ships very well, though.
The Orion player took on the Exiles but did not achieve all too much.
Planta took center and held it the whole game.
Planta then researched Plasma Missiles and equipped his big ships with them and 3+ computers. Indeed, Dreadnougths got 2 of the +3 computers.

In the end, the alliance won, Orion 2nd, Draco 3rd and Human 4th.

Back to the diplomacy cards.
In battle, only 1 card was ever played, where the card gave a reroll, did not make any impact.
Another card would have been played, if the player would have remembered to play it at the start of the engagement round. devil

Cards that were played for their action-effect:
Manipulation
Immigrants

Manipulation was played 2 times in the game, at one point against a team that had an alliance. This raised the question what would happen.
We ruled that the alliance was ended, with the ex-partners keeping their Alliance token face-up, just as if only one partner had left.
They later on forged a new alliance, taking another set of alliance tokens.

Being the player with least populated cubes each turn allowed me to draw lots of diplomacy cards. However, I couldn't use any of them because I had either no diplomatic relations to anyone, or the cards (e.g. Defector) were way to situational. So the cards sat in my hands doing nothing. I could have used them in battle, but had no ships, and they would not have made any difference against the strong fleets of the other players.

The general consensus was, that the played cards worked against the spirit of the game, where your actions decide what you can do. "Manipulation" has just the feel of a spite-card.

Also, the planta-player was loath to enter any diplomatic relations because he didn't want to have a couple of cubes on his board from another player due to "Immigrants".

All in all, I had the impression that the cards were rather non-relevant and sometimes even disruptive.

My suggestions (after playing a single game with them, mind you):

.) Keep cards with requirements as few as possible, or do away with them.

.) Cards should have a "fallback option" (outside combat), that give a at least a minimalistic bonus.
E.g.
"Gain 1 material of your choice, or ."

.) Maybe there could be a card that would be put into play, and each time another player breaks diplomatic relationships with you, you put a counter on it and at the end of the game you gain that many VPs.

.) All the cards should follow the same method to be played. I'd suggest just like "Free Actions", before their respective action-type, if any. That would make it a lot more easy to remeber. Folks tend to forget when to play cards and arguments slow down the game.

.) It would be good, if there would be more direct incentives for other players to enter diplomatic relationships. (Players might get one-shot extra-ressources or stuff.)

That's it for now.

Thanks for the comments!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Ferreyra
Argentina
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey! First of all, a big thank you for your effort and for sharing with the communitiy! I'm a big fan of Eclipse and I'm always eager to try new material.
I would like to know if there's a way to get the cards, other than ArtsCow, maybe a pdf file, because for me it would be quite easir to print them at home rather than to order them (just for geographical/customs issues). If that's possible I would be very grateful!
Thanks in advance,
Lucas

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul D
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
basilisco wrote:
Hey! First of all, a big thank you for your effort and for sharing with the communitiy! I'm a big fan of Eclipse and I'm always eager to try new material.
I would like to know if there's a way to get the cards, other than ArtsCow, maybe a pdf file, because for me it would be quite easir to print them at home rather than to order them (just for geographical/customs issues). If that's possible I would be very grateful!
Thanks in advance,
Lucas

I've added them, in a zip file, to the files section here on the Eclipse BGG page. You should be able to find them there soon (once approved).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Brown
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The complaints you listed are always mentioned by people who have only played the game a few times. They do not yet understand that you are never "out of the game" because of "bad" hex draws because no draws are ever bad, and you can cancel the explore if they really are that "bad". Games almost never start fighting as late as round 8 once you play enough, it's only the first 2 games or so that that is the case. I definitely don't see how runaway leader is even a thing, as anyone smart enough to see a leader knows they should be their next target.

This is yes ANOTHER poor attempt to "balance" an already well balanced and designed game. It throws complete randomness into the game when you can do actions like moving extra ships or do an extra point of damage. Eclipse is a game of careful calculation of what options your opponents have and your ability to counter them so these cards destroy that. All of these extra actions you added to the game with this SERIOUSLY break the game as it benefits certain species who benefit in the long game. Also cards like Sabotage break the most basic rules. What if I remove the power source on a ship? Do they have to now remove a ton of ship parts to make it a valid ship? Their entire ship might have to revert to the original design. This can make someone rightfully winning the game COMPLETELY lose because of this one card. I understand what you were going for, but this simply would not work at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis C
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
UnalignedMagi wrote:
The complaints you listed are always mentioned by people who have only played the game a few times. They do not yet understand that you are never "out of the game" because of "bad" hex draws because no draws are ever bad, and you can cancel the explore if they really are that "bad". Games almost never start fighting as late as round 8 once you play enough, it's only the first 2 games or so that that is the case. I definitely don't see how runaway leader is even a thing, as anyone smart enough to see a leader knows they should be their next target.

This is yes ANOTHER poor attempt to "balance" an already well balanced and designed game. It throws complete randomness into the game when you can do actions like moving extra ships or do an extra point of damage. Eclipse is a game of careful calculation of what options your opponents have and your ability to counter them so these cards destroy that. All of these extra actions you added to the game with this SERIOUSLY break the game as it benefits certain species who benefit in the long game. Also cards like Sabotage break the most basic rules. What if I remove the power source on a ship? Do they have to now remove a ton of ship parts to make it a valid ship? Their entire ship might have to revert to the original design. This can make someone rightfully winning the game COMPLETELY lose because of this one card. I understand what you were going for, but this simply would not work at all.

Then don't play with them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.