Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
49 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: "Atheists prefer video games over board games" rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I note (as does the article) that RPG's are not mentioned.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
[snark]Well, we all know that atheists are just a bunch of anti-social freaks!

Did I get my bad stereotype correct?[/snark]
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Hague
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
RAWKET LAWNCHA!!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
In separate news: Ice-cream sales drive up murder rate in New York.
19 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Montana
flag msg tools
Avatar
Academics that conduct useless, crappy studies need to be locked away in their offices forever to keep their disease from spreading.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
braveheart101 wrote:
Academics that conduct useless, crappy studies need to be locked away in their offices forever to keep their disease from spreading.


Then they'd just publish more. Make them teach classes based on hard facts that can be independently verified. I'm talking exciting classes like the Greek and Latin roots of English vocabulary or the like.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
braveheart101 wrote:
Academics that conduct useless, crappy studies need to be locked away in their offices forever to keep their disease from spreading.



I had a human resources/"change management" professor early in my MBA program who a) had never worked in industry and b) had us read one of her published papers which turned out to be about how companies talk about environmental sustainability on social media. It was one of the stupidest things I have ever read, flat out. She and her research partner literally just counted the number of times the S&P 100 companies mentioned sustainability on twitter, facebook, or a blog with an RSS feed. If I were a professor and an undergrad submitted that proposal for a paper, I'd tell them they needed to work a little harder. Someone actually paid for this nonsense. Blech. Anyone ever asks me for advice on choosing an MBA program, I'm going to tell them to look for the one that has the most professors who have real-world experience. The difference between professors who have actually worked and the ones who are lifelong academics is incredible.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Taylor
United Kingdom
Epping
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It's sad, it's actually rare I read a statistical study these days that I can't poke several holes in immediately. Even those quality stamped by reputable institutions.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thinking about the difference between boardgames and computer games I think he may have got the two groups reversed.

In a computer you (more often then not) do not know the rules of the game (you have to learn them). You also (often) have no fixed idea about how to achieve the goal (and in many what he real goal is), again you have to learn as you go along.

Whereas with boardgames the rules a fixed and in front of you, you know exactly what you can do (and hot to do it). You also have fixed and ridged goals.

If anything boardgames are for more WYSIWYG then computer games. They in fact require far less 'imagination' to play.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wintz
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
Boo!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Could it be that boardgamers "pray" more for good die rolls?
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
djgutierrez77 wrote:
braveheart101 wrote:
Academics that conduct useless, crappy studies need to be locked away in their offices forever to keep their disease from spreading.



I had a human resources/"change management" professor early in my MBA program who a) had never worked in industry and b) had us read one of her published papers which turned out to be about how companies talk about environmental sustainability on social media. It was one of the stupidest things I have ever read, flat out. She and her research partner literally just counted the number of times the S&P 100 companies mentioned sustainability on twitter, facebook, or a blog with an RSS feed. If I were a professor and an undergrad submitted that proposal for a paper, I'd tell them they needed to work a little harder. Someone actually paid for this nonsense. Blech. Anyone ever asks me for advice on choosing an MBA program, I'm going to tell them to look for the one that has the most professors who have real-world experience. The difference between professors who have actually worked and the ones who are lifelong academics is incredible.

This relates to the thread on education. Research is not supposed to be bean-counting silliness but an effort to uncover something meaningful and enlightening about a subject. Peer review is supposed to weed out the kind of research Dave mentions. Of course no system is perfect.

The ideal is that business is supposed to be taught by people who consult real businesses about how to improve and are good at that. For example, my eldest sister's best friend for many years after undergrad married a business prof who made the salary of a CEO precisely because that prof acted as a temporary CEO for companies in order to gain insight into all aspects of business. (Both have moved now so much, I don't know if my sister is still in regular contact anymore.)

Research in the academic professional sense is defined as making meaningful innovations in a field. THAT'S why researchers are supposed to also teach-- so that people learn the latest and most up to date techniques in any field.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mwintz wrote:
Could it be that boardgamers "pray" more for good die rolls?
Joke asside, that is anotehr differance bwetween boardgames and computer games.

Boardgames tend to be competitive, whereas computer games tend to be non competitive. In both you have to achieve a goal, but in one the goal is beating other people whereas in the otehr the goal is beating the system.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
piemasteruk wrote:
It's sad, it's actually rare I read a statistical study these days that I can't poke several holes in immediately. Even those quality stamped by reputable institutions.

Stats profs are known to offer their students rewards for finding any well-defined and non-trivial statistical analysis in popular media. I've never heard of one having to follow through.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Man thinks, the river flows.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb

    So . . . religious people can imagine things that don't exist more easily.

    Huh.

             S.




6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:
So . . . religious people can imagine things that don't exist more easily.

Wait a minute... there's some sort of implication there... I've almost got it...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
Sagrilarus wrote:
So . . . religious people can imagine things that don't exist more easily.

Wait a minute... there's some sort of implication there... I've almost got it...

Rather off-handed rudeness to religious people that Sag would condemn if a religious person directed it at atheists. Of course, adherents of the One True Unfaith can do no wrong in the name of their Religion-Free Religious Substitute.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Man thinks, the river flows.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb

whac3 wrote:

Rather off-handed rudeness to religious people that Sag would condemn if a religious person directed it at atheists.


    Well Mr. Callen, you and I go way back . . . oh, no wait a minute, we've never met and I have no recollection of ever speaking to you in real life or even online. Your insight into my proposed condemnation of someone's opinion comes from . . . ?

             S.


 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:

whac3 wrote:

Rather off-handed rudeness to religious people that Sag would condemn if a religious person directed it at atheists.


    Well Mr. Callen, you and I go way back . . . oh, no wait a minute, we've never met and I have no recollection of ever speaking to you in real life or even online. Your insight into my proposed condemnation of someone's opinion comes from . . . ?

             S.



You've no memory of speaking to me on-line, Sag; seriously? Check your browser history. I'm an RSP regular and we've clashed on plenty of threads.

EDIT:
We may have clashed in the wargamers forum too based on the results of a quick google.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Charters
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"Atheists prefer video games over board games"

...because video games got no soul?!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Man thinks, the river flows.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb

    I don't frequent RSP. Maybe half a dozen threads?

    Besides, I believe that "faith" is one of the fundamental tenets of faith.

             S.


 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
Sagrilarus wrote:

whac3 wrote:

Rather off-handed rudeness to religious people that Sag would condemn if a religious person directed it at atheists.


    Well Mr. Callen, you and I go way back . . . oh, no wait a minute, we've never met and I have no recollection of ever speaking to you in real life or even online. Your insight into my proposed condemnation of someone's opinion comes from . . . ?

             S.



You've no memory of speaking to me on-line, Sag; seriously? Check your browser history. I'm an RSP regular and we've clashed on plenty of threads.
Phhh eat, I can see where this will head.

Can I call Anti-Semanticism now?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:

    I don't frequent RSP. Maybe half a dozen threads?

    Besides, I believe that "faith" is one of the fundamental tenets of faith.

             S.



Really? I am religious but do not consider myself to follow a "faith" any more than you do.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Man thinks, the river flows.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb

    Are you honestly looking to debate whether "faith" is a fundamental tenet of faith? Have a go at it and let me know if you uncover something profound.

    A google search on our two usernames returned a thread about Black & Tan from 2008. I posted a photo of a Manchester Terrier. Apologies for forgetting you.

             S.


2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:

    Are you honestly looking to debate whether "faith" is a fundamental tenet of faith? Have a go at it and let me know if you uncover something profound.

    A google search on our two usernames returned a thread about Black & Tan from 2008. I posted a photo of a Manchester Terrier. Apologies for forgetting you.

             S.


There was a spate when you were a regular on a bunch of threads presuming atheist moral and intellectual superiority. As for "faith", you choose to characterize religions that way. I do not because frankly I probably know a good deal more about them than you do.
1 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Man thinks, the river flows.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
There was a spate when you were a regular on a bunch of threads presuming atheist moral and intellectual superiority.


    You must be thinking of someone else. Sorry bud.

whac3 wrote:
I do not because frankly I probably know a good deal more about them than you do.


    Well in that case I'll sit quietly at the knee of the master. I was unaware of your credentials.

             S.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:
whac3 wrote:
There was a spate when you were a regular on a bunch of threads presuming atheist moral and intellectual superiority.


    You must be thinking of someone else. Sorry bud.

             S.


No, I'really not. It's been a while since we've had these sort of threads but you're not fooling anybody. The avatar and signature are the same as is the attitude.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.