Subject: Why no ice tutor? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Redston
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The runner has icebreaker tutor, so why doesn't the corp have ice tutor?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Councilman Sokka
United States
Staunton
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
Patience, young padawan.

In all seriousness though, this game is still young (relatively speaking). I suspect ICE tutors will show up at some point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El-ad David Amir
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aggressive Negotiations and Project Atlas can search for Ice
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Frank
United States
Brooklyn
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kroen wrote:
The runner has icebreaker tutor, so why doesn't the corp have ice tutor?

Asymmetry. The Corp sets up barriers and sentries and gates, broad defenses against whatever's coming. The Runner targets the holes and weaknesses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Redston
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
invictus_blue wrote:
Patience, young padawan.

In all seriousness though, this game is still young (relatively speaking). I suspect ICE tutors will show up at some point.

But the runner got his icebreaker tutor in the core set
IirionClaus wrote:
Aggressive Negotiations and Project Atlas can search for Ice

AN: If you score an agenda in the same turn.
PA: If you score it with at least 4 advancements.
Not what I'd call a classic, intuitive tutor.
scifantasy wrote:

Asymmetry. The Corp sets up barriers and sentries and gates, broad defenses against whatever's coming. The Runner targets the holes and weaknesses.

The corp has hackers of his own, whose job is to find possible security breaches and seal them off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Barth
Germany
flag msg tools
kroen wrote:

AN: If you score an agenda in the same turn.
PA: If you score it with at least 4 advancements.
Not what I'd call a classic, intuitive tutor.

I'd guess thats the point: The corp has universal but hard to pull off tutors, while the runners have specialized but easy to pull off tutors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darder Sergio
Spain
Alicante
Unspecified
flag msg tools
I dont like the part where you d have to show the runner what you got, also shuffling the R&D afterwards is a very powerful effect for the corp versus R&D aggresive runners (most of them right now), that should need to get paid, sooner or alter we ll see some tutor for sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Hawks
United States
Des Moines
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem with an Ice specific tutor is that you'd have to show the runner which Ice you got. This can greatly reduce the surprise value of the Ice, which is very bad for the Corp.

Of course, I'd expect we'll see an Ice tutor eventually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Redston
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
banjothulu wrote:
The problem with an Ice specific tutor is that you'd have to show the runner which Ice you got. This can greatly reduce the surprise value of the Ice, which is very bad for the Corp.

Of course, corp styles that depend on surprises would find no use for such card, but some styles (like weyland ice advance) won't care one bit if the runner saw what they got.

Actually, even styles that like surprises like Jinteki would find use for this; e.g. did I just install the ice I showed you? or is it another one? etc. adding to their psycological game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Hawks
United States
Des Moines
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kroen wrote:
banjothulu wrote:

Of course, corp styles that depend on surprises would find no use for such card, but some styles (like weyland ice advance) won't care one bit if the runner saw what they got.

Actually, even styles that like surprises like Jinteki would find use for this; e.g. did I just install the ice I showed you? or is it another one? etc. adding to their psycological game.

True, which is why I suspect we will see it eventually. I just feel like we don't need it right now. It'd be nice to have in some decks, but I think it's more narrow then Special Order.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maybe Next Time
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
That's a good point!

Having said that, here's a better one: The corp has remote servers, why doesn't the runner?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Deuber
United States
Baldwin
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess unrelated ..but..

I had an Archived Memories in my hand early one game, and a Snare in Archives. I used it to pull Snare back into HQ just to deter my aggressive 11yr old from running HQ so much.

I made sure to show him the Snare before tucking it away into HQ, hehe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agha Ahsan
United States
Los Altos Hills
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think a lot of corp decks load up on ICE where as runner decks dont always seem to have as many.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Contig
United States
flag msg tools
(this is not a hint)
badge
(this is still the old picture and I am too lazy to update it)
mbmbmbmbmb
mdeuber wrote:

I had an Archived Memories in my hand early one game, and a Snare in Archives. I used it to pull Snare back into HQ just to deter my aggressive 11yr old from running HQ so much.

It also gives you a cover if you want to install an agenda that turn and advance/score it next turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El-ad David Amir
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mdeuber wrote:

Nitpicky question: Was Snare! face down in archives? If it was face down, you're not supposed to show it to the other player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Deuber
United States
Baldwin
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IirionClaus wrote:
mdeuber wrote:

Nitpicky question: Was Snare! face down in archives? If it was face down, you're not supposed to show it to the other player.

It was face up. If I remember correctly, I think he trashed it from R&D, caught me without enough credits to fire it off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Redston
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IirionClaus wrote:

Are you unallowed though?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Pettigrew
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
kroen wrote:
IirionClaus wrote:

Yes. The rules do not give you permission to reveal hidden cards. Otherwise you could show the Runner the 2 Snares in HQ in order to convince them not to access the 3 Agendas in there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kroen wrote:
IirionClaus wrote:

No, if it was face down you're not allowed to. What's face down must remain face down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mychal
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
banjothulu wrote:

If it was a tutor that searched AND installed the ICE, you wouldn't need to reveal it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beyer
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
more.
badge
sedaza wrote:
I dont like the part where you d have to show the runner what you got...

It's Chimera

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.