7 Posts

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » Variants

Subject: Shapeshifter rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
alex
France
flag msg tools
I think Descent always lack this type of classes/hero, and furthermore the second edition.
I tried to do something classic, like the druid in D&D. I've started like this, tell me what you think. All Class skills are cuts in two, one part for the human form, the other one for the werewolf shape. I'm not sure yet if I will use Talisman blood moon werewolf or Wiz-war Werewolf. It's not finished, I need some ideas, balances, and tests.

Sorry if my english is not perfect, i'm french.

Archetype - healer (better scout?)

Starting equipement :
- Wooden stick : magic, staff, two handed, ranged. Attack blue + yellow, surge : + 1 range.

Starting skill
- Shapeshift :(human) Exhaust this card during your turn and morph into werewolf (replace your figure with the werewolf one) / (werewolf) Exhaust this card during your turn and morph back to your normal form (replace the werewolf figure with the normal one)
- Werewolf shape : + 1 speed, melee attack Blue + red, defense black die. Cannot use equipements or make a rest action.

1 xp Skills
- Wilderness : (human) At the start of the quest, choose a monster trait. All attacks on you from a monster with this trait has - 1 heart. / (werewolf) All your attacks against a monster with this trait has + 1 heart.
- Inner strengh : (human) Action, 1 fatigue : Roll 2 red die. A hero within 3 squares (including yourself) heal 1 heart for each heart on the red dice / (werewolf) Add one brown die to your defense pool
-

2 xp skills
- Nature's gift : (human) 1 fatigue, Exhaust this card to refresh one skill card from another hero within 3 squares / (werewolf) Add one yellow die to your attack pool (not if exhaust)
- Nature's power : (human) Action, 1 fatigue : the target monster in your line of sight and all adjacent monster have -1 speed until your next turn / (werewolf) All your attack have "surge : +2"
-

3 xp
- Fury of the wild : (human) Exhaust this card when you kill a one square monster : make a willpower test. If you pass, put the monster back adjacent to you. Put a fatigue on it, it is now treated as your familiar. This monster counts in the group limit / (werewolf) Exhaust this card, make an attack. This attacks has "surge surge : make another attack on the same target after this one"
- Galeforce : (human) Exhaust this card, each time you move this turn is treated as if you were flying / (werewolf) Exhaust this card when you kill a monster. You may immediately move your speed and attack. Then your turn resume.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Just as a first note, a blue/red Ranged starting weapon on a Healer or Scout seems a bit powerful to me. Generally only Warriors start with a blue/red weapon, and they're all Melee. It also seems like it would make more sense for the Shapeshifter to be weaker but more versatile in his human form, and stronger but more focused in his werewolf form. I'd drop the Oak Staff to a blue/yellow.

Another thing to consider on that note, is that "Oak Staff" is already the name of an item in the base game, and adding an item with the same name but different characteristics is confusing and is generally bad practice. I'd strongly recommend changing that name to something else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alex
France
flag msg tools
My mistake ! I thought of yellow and I wrote red.

I changed it to wooden stick.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Bocketti
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you check the variants section I made a Druid class that was more of a healer type. If you look at the 3xp skill it's similar in healing ability to your 1xp healing skill. I think that yours is a bit overpowered.

I do like the idea of him being a scout though. You only have 1 healing skill for this healer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Neufeld
Canada
Port Alberni
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mustardayonnaiz wrote:
If you check the variants section I made a Druid class that was more of a healer type. If you look at the 3xp skill it's similar in healing ability to your 1xp healing skill. I think that yours is a bit overpowered.

I do like the idea of him being a scout though. You only have 1 healing skill for this healer.

Apparently I'm not the only one with a Druid type build

I haven't checked the general forums for a while, as I've been busy working on a campaign. I'm currently testing a 'Druid' build amoung many other things. It can be found here:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/12872070#12872070

Rugal: I really like the idea of being able to change forms and having different skills associated with both. I think your Inner Strength is too strong of a heal especially for 1 xp... but the werewolf side is more balanced but weak in comparison to the human side.

Galeforce human seems to be more utilitarian to be a 3 xp card, while werewolf is good for 3 xp

Fury of the wild human is a good idea, but could be overpowering depending on which groups the OL takes. There are some really strong 1 square monsters (and lieutenants which I'm sure you wouldn't include in that)... I fear that would imbalance the game a bit too much. Maybe have it spawn with half hp and can't be healed?

Just a few thoughts anyways. If you get a chance come check out my builds
Content for the Test PBF is found here:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/12641261#12641261

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alex
France
flag msg tools
i forgot the "when you kill a minor one square monster" for fury of the wild

Theses needs some balancing and testing for sure.

i've check your ideas, maybe i will think more and try more

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alex
France
flag msg tools
First try of some cards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.