Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Billy the Hut
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Sit beside the breakfast table Think about your troubles Pour yourself a cup of tea Then think about the bubbles
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, yes, no need for the applause, you're welcome.

Today I had jury duty. For those of you who haven't experienced this let me explain the 12 steps to how it works:

1) 1st you arrive on time, early in the morning, as requested so you can wait.
2) Then you check in handing over the very short questionnaire with minimal info about you that they can use to pre-judge and disqualify you as a human being later if they choose.
3) Then you wait.
4) Then a judge gives you a speech about how important you are to the process because even if you aren't selected for a jury, your very presence can help encourage cases to be settled.
5) Then you wait.
6) Then you watch a video about how important you are to the process because even if you aren't selected for a jury, your very presence can help encourage cases to be settled.
7) Then you wait.
8) Then you get a coffee break.
9) Then you wait.
10) Then the officer of the court (he might be called a bailiff, but nobody knows. I certainly don't) who 1st checked you in comes back and tells you 6 of the 7 cases settled last minute and the 7th agreed to wave his right to a jury so a judge will decide the case.
11) Then that officer of the court explains how important you are to the process because even if you aren't selected for a jury, your very presence can help encourage cases to be settled.
12) Then you get to go home.

My only criticism of the process is they should find a way to give me this feeling of importance and having done my civic duty without actually taking any of my time and yet still getting me the day off work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you at least get twenty bucks to cover parking?

More seriously, our courts give you opportunity to donate your juror fee to a charity, which is cool.

BTW, I have jury duty coming up on 8/12. It'll be my 7th summons (IIRC), and I haven't yet served. Although, I'd like to, I think it would be interesting. I was empanelled once, but the parties settled before a trial.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kSwingrÜber
United States
Ridgefield
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb

My wife just got notification that she has jury duty... during her BIRTHDAY WEEK!

Jeeze... where is the justice in that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chony McChuukface
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kswingruber wrote:

My wife just got notification that she has jury duty... during her BIRTHDAY WEEK!

Jeeze... where is the justice in that?

What better way to celebrate your birthday then doing your civic duty?

Wait... while both are good, they don't usually go together. Hmmm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
My one time on jury duty, I was kind of looking forward to the case, but the defense lawyer didn't like me and had me thrown out. The amount I heard, a woman wanted liposuction, went to the yellow pages, got a doctor, got liposuction. The results were, according to the lawyer, "horrific." Involving much serious medical problems, scarring, etc. Then she finds out that the doctor who did the liposuction wasn't actually licensed to do the procedure, and in fact wasn't even a surgeon, but was a dermatologist! Oops. So he of course got in a lot of trouble and his malpractice insurance paid out a lot of money. So who was she suing? The yellow pages, because that was where she found the doctor's listing! This sounds dumb, but from the amount I heard, it actually might have been a reasonable lawsuit, because according to her doctor (and I was thrown out before I could hear the actual evidence), one of the yellow pages salesman had called the dermatologist, and actually recommended that he re-list as a plastic surgeon because he'll get a lot more business that way. Now, sure, the dermatologist was crooked to go along with the idea, but all the same, when a company's salesman is encouraging people who they know aren't qualified plastic surgeons to place ads claiming that they are, I can see why the company may be held liable for that behavior.

But then I got real strong negative vibes from the defense lawyer, and at the end of the day I was gone and replaced with an alternate. Must have been something on my questionnaire, there was a question about punitive damages that I suspect he disliked my answer to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Alberg
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
Whoopee Doopee, we have fun!
badge
You lost the game!
mbmbmbmbmb
Consider this: With a little bit of space, justice becomes just ice. Pretty cool, huh?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Central Coast
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure how they can fix the jury duty system without removing the right to settle cases at the last minute on the courthouse steps.

My last brush with jury doodie required me to be "on-call" for two weeks, for the (federal) district court 75 miles away. There's an 80-mile limit...

This was during a teaching quarter, and every night I'd have to call after 5pm and see if I was needed the next day, which meant that every day I had to be prepared to cancel my 8am class, or record and post a video, or arrange something else, all after business hours.

I wasn't ever called, fortunately. But it was still very stressful, and I got very little sleep. It was like being on the business trip from hell, in my own home. Ugh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
May I pass along my congratulations for your great interdimensional breakthrough. I am sure, in the miserable annals of the Earth, you will be duly enshrined. -- Lord John Whorfin
mbmbmbmbmb
Paying taxes, voting and serving on a jury is about all that's asked of us as citizens of the US. Not strenuous requirements for what we have.

I don't mind being called for jury duty - though I've never sat on a trial. Not even once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
Heart full of soul, head full of shit
badge
Snob of the People
mbmbmbmbmb
I was once jury foreman. I was drunk with power. And alcohol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin, Karen, Acacia, and Janek
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Game on!
badge
45 Jack-o'-dapter!
mbmbmbmbmb
Steven, is that a modern day Mouth of Sauron you posted?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
Heart full of soul, head full of shit
badge
Snob of the People
mbmbmbmbmb
I was jury foreman for a DUI case. The summary of the arguments would be:

Prosecution: He was driving drunk.
Defense: No I wasn't.

Absolutely no evidence was presented whatsoever. It was a strange situation, because I (and others on the jury) felt like the guy probably had been driving drunk, but the state did nothing to prove their case whatsoever. We voted to acquit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Eager
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
DBA Junkie
badge
"A Book should serve as the Ax for the frozen sea within us."-- KAFKA
mbmbmbmbmb
shake I have been called many times, and have been a juror twice. One civil case, one criminal. The criminal was fairly quick and easy, pretty open and shut. The civil case, OTOH, was the vilest display of muckraking and legal obfuscation I've ever had the misfortune to witness, Plus the jury was deadlocked for days until we finally broke down the terminal sympathizer. Yeeesh, what a fiasco. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bat Profile
United States
Sandworms USA
Plateau of Leng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ask for coroners jury

it was kinda cool....i kept my check as a bookmark

we got to hear about a case where a house exploded
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Brichs
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dutch Boy wrote:
Steven, is that a modern day Mouth of Sauron you posted? :)

It appears to be Judge Dead, a character from Judge Dread :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.