Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Armstrong
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From the time when I first started playing Star Wars LCG, I thought a draft variant would be fun. I started working on my ideas for a draft variant about one month ago.

Jason Blakeney has posted his rules for a draft, and I like them. Mine are a bit different, but I encourage people to try both! One point about mine is it requires you to make 'draft cards' which cause an additional expense. Jason's Drafting Rules

The draft cards I made look like this:

At the top, from left to right, is the objective set number, the affiliation, and the damage capacity/resources of the objective. Below that is the name of the objective set. Below that would be any attributes the objective has, like Hoth or Limit 1 per deck, etc. The above example doesn't have these.

Below all that is the text on the objective, if applicable. And then we have a list of the cards in the set. I did this for a few reasons. Some people don't know what is in every set. Also, this allows people to make better draft decisions. Lastly, these also work like flash cards to study and memorize the sets!

One concern Jason mentioned is that the draft may be prone to some analysis paralysis if the whole set is listed, since it is quite a bit of info. One way to get around this is a simple timer. I don't think time will be a big problem, but that depends on who is drafting.

Okay, rules!

So, everyone comes to the draft with their collection of cards (durr). Separate the draft cards into a Light side and Dark side pile (my cards have blue and red back, respectively). I think about 15-18 objectives per side per player works. This is if you are making a 10 set deck. If you want to drop it to 8 set decks, maybe 12-14 sets per side per player.

Everyone takes a certain amount of cards from ONE side of the Force. (Not sure on this number yet, depends on how many 'hands' of draft you want to do. If you want to end up with 15 sets, maybe 3 hands of 5? Or copy 7 Wonders and do 3 hands of 6 with the last card getting tossed so that there is always a choice.) Draft according to whatever draft method you like. Once that is done, do it again with the other side of the Force.

Once everyone has their cards, make decks! Then play as normal, 3 round Swiss, whatever suits your fancy.

Now the biggest problem I saw with draft is the risk of getting resource match screwed. As there is a chance your decks may be 'rainbow' decks, I devised a small work around. Instead of choosing a certain affiliation, each player receives a card like this (one for Light and on for Dark):

This replaces your affiliation card. This allows a player to at least have one resource match per turn, but hopefully more.

Now, concerning the 'XXXX Affiliation Only' objectives. For this, I say that each deck is only allowed one affiliation specific set per deck. So if you drafted a Jedi only and a Rebel only set, you can't put both in your deck. You can pick one. If you have three different Jedi only sets, they can all be in your deck, as they are the same affiliation. I hope that is explained clearly.

Limit 1 per objective deck still applies. If you draft two of these, tough luck! Players can look at their previously drafted cards at any time, just to check if they drafted something already. And of course, the 'only 2 of any objective' rule also applies. So don't draft three Emperor's Web!

I hope I explained everything clearly. Ask questions, please! I printed my cards using Printer's Studio. I saved my 'project file' on the site, but it seems to have gone missing. I'm going to see if I can some how post a link to it so people don't have to make their own sets. That being said, you can make some on index cards by hand. They don't have to be pretty!

Also, this is what the back looks like (Light is blue, Dark is red):

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Blakeney
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scott, I added a link to your rules from my thread. Nice take on the drafting ideas above. I can see how this might work out good, especially in a mini tournament setting.

The one thing I am definitely not too sure of is that fix for rainbow decks. Giving each player an automatic resource-matching affiliation card may drastically change the way this game is played and obviously what can be done with an assortment of objective sets. I am not saying that it is a bad idea, I am saying that you definitely won't be playing as you would normally... I would say that the inclusion of such an alteration to the rules affects the game more so than the actual rules on drafting.

But hey, this is the Variants section, isn't it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Armstrong
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hundreds wrote:
Scott, I added a link to your rules from my thread. Nice take on the drafting ideas above. I can see how this might work out good, especially in a mini tournament setting.

The one thing I am definitely not too sure of is that fix for rainbow decks. Giving each player an automatic resource-matching affiliation card may drastically change the way this game is played and obviously what can be done with an assortment of objective sets. I am not saying that it is a bad idea, I am saying that you definitely won't be playing as you would normally... I would say that the inclusion of such an alteration to the rules affects the game more so than the actual rules on drafting.

But hey, this is the Variants section, isn't it?

:)

One thing I considered was two different rules for that 'anything' resource.

1) Players build an 8 pod deck and must choose an affiliation.

2) Players build a 10 pod deck and use the 'anything'

Players would choose what format to play in before the draft starts. The reason I see the need for the 'anything' resource is when drafting, you might get forced into having 4 pods of each faction (e.g. 4 Jedi, 4 Rebel, 4 S&S, 4 neutral). How do you build a deck from that without the possibility of getting completely resource screwed? Not to mention the XXXX affiliation only ones.

So you build one with 4 Jedi, 4 Rebel, and 2 neutral. You pick Rebel for your faction. You draw your objectives and you get 2 Rebel and 2 neutral. You draw your hand, and is it full of Jedi cards. Mulligan, 1 Rebel card and the rest Jedi cards. How do you deal with that?

So, to avoid the possibility of the above scenario (which looks to be an instant loss with a horrible game and an unhappy player), I made the 'anything' resource card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Armstrong
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hundreds wrote:
Scott, I added a link to your rules from my thread.

Returned the favour!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Mcpherson
United States
Sand Springs
Ok
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First, I would like to say that I love limited formats. One of the goals of limited formats is to allow card interactions that one wouldn't see in most constructed decks shine through IMO.

For this reason I like the idea of having a multi faction resource to start with since this will help me expand the various potential card interactions I will see that one wouldn't see in a normal tournament.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Blakeney
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grazingcattle wrote:
First, I would like to say that I love limited formats. One of the goals of limited formats is to allow card interactions that one wouldn't see in most constructed decks shine through IMO.

For this reason I like the idea of having a multi faction resource to start with since this will help me expand the various potential card interactions I will see that one wouldn't see in a normal tournament.

Yeah, like I said, it's not a bad idea. It's just taking this rule set from a simple drafting idea to a more advanced change. You could equally play a standard custom built rainbow deck and just agree to use the affiliation card as an "anything resource". You will definitely get some unusual play choices.

I got around the rainbow insta-loss issue by pretty much deciding on 2 affiliations right off the bat. You choose two, you draft from those and the neutrals only.

Oh, I also wanted to mention that I really like the idea of the objective set placeholder cards. I actually might be creating some of those for our method of drafting. Very nice to see the set at a glance like that without having to rifle through all the cards with every objective card you pick up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Armstrong
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hundreds wrote:
[q="Grazingcattle"]
Yeah, like I said, it's not a bad idea. It's just taking this rule set from a simple drafting idea to a more advanced change. You could equally play a standard custom built rainbow deck and just agree to use the affiliation card as an "anything resource". You will definitely get some unusual play choices.

I got around the rainbow insta-loss issue by pretty much deciding on 2 affiliations right off the bat. You choose two, you draft from those and the neutrals only.

Oh, I also wanted to mention that I really like the idea of the objective set placeholder cards. I actually might be creating some of those for our method of drafting. Very nice to see the set at a glance like that without having to rifle through all the cards with every objective card you pick up.

The only problem I see with the 'pick two' method is how do you do this for 8-12 people around a table? I guess the drafting method you are using is different, with the draw 3 pick 1 mechanism. I'm more thinking along the lines of Magic drafting, where you pass things in a circle.

And yeah, the reason I did this was to completely avoid the rifling through every set every time we pass the cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Blakeney
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I will never have that many players in one room. :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Kirk
msg tools
mbmbmb
Do you have a copy of these cards I could download to print? I tried draft with my wife last night and loved it. Would like an easier way to do this in the future and i think your cards are the ticket. Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.