Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Ptak
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. Whenever the Movement template or the ship's base overlaps an obstacle token when completing a maneuver, you roll to check for damage and apply the result.

The rule is on page 20 of the rulebook, halfway, under the procedure for 'Moving into and through obstacles".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
hendersondayton wrote:
When placing a move template I noticed that the move template went over a portion of an asteroid. The ship was going to end up "Safely" on the other side but it would have flown thru the asteroid to get there.

I didn't notice anything about taking damage as a result of moving thru an obstacle. The rules only talked about the ship overlapping.

Please clarify. Would I roll for damage as a result of the move template crossing an obstacle?

Yes, you roll for overlapping it with the template. The difference is you don't lose your attack for the turn as you would if you landed on it. This is spelled out in the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Wilson
United Kingdom
Peterborough
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
hendersondayton wrote:
When placing a move template I noticed that the move template went over a portion of an asteroid. The ship was going to end up "Safely" on the other side but it would have flown thru the asteroid to get there.

I didn't notice anything about taking damage as a result of moving thru an obstacle. The rules only talked about the ship overlapping.

Please clarify. Would I roll for damage as a result of the move template crossing an obstacle?

Yes, you roll for overlapping it with the template. The difference is you don't lose your action for the turn as you would if you landed on it. This is spelled out in the rules.

Actually you still lose your action. However you cannot shoot if you land on an obstacle, but can if you fly over it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wilder

Daly City
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
The difference is you don't lose your action for the turn as you would if you landed on it. This is spelled out in the rules.

Almost. You do lose your action. (Specifically, you skip "Perform Actions." If you have another way to get actions, it's not disallowed.)

The difference between "moving through" and "landing on" is that when you land on an obstacle, you cannot attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Attack is what I meant. Action is what I typed. Fixing now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vayda
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
https://sites.google.com/site/cnjxwing/home
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If i may I piggy back a question that came up last Monday...
What about barrel rolling or boosting over an asteroid (assuming that the base lands not overlapping said asteroid)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Wilson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
virferrorum wrote:
If i may I piggy back a question that came up last Monday...
What about barrel rolling or boosting over an asteroid (assuming that the base lands not overlapping said asteroid)?

Apparently you can do that with no penalty since these are actions, and not maneuvers. The rules on moving through obstacles discuss the penalties as being attached to maneuvers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth D
Germany
flag msg tools
What about this situation...
When you do your movement ending on an obstacle, but only the front of your ship is overlapping (then attack-dice, no action, no attack).

But what about the movement next round. To get away from the obstacle, there is no other way the move-template crosses the obstacle... one more time an attack-dice and no action?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert M.
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Darth D wrote:
What about this situation...
When you do your movement ending on an obstacle, but only the front of your ship is overlapping (then attack-dice, no action, no attack).

But what about the movement next round. To get away from the obstacle, there is no other way the move-template crosses the obstacle... one more time an attack-dice and no action?

You've got it exactly right. If the front of your ship is overlapping an obstacle at the end of Round 1, the maneuver template you use in Round 2 will also overlap the obstacle. So you roll an attack die and skip the Perform Action step.

(Accordingly, if you're choosing maneuvers and you think you might hit an obstacle, either aim far short of it or open up the throttle and at least get your nose on the far side of the asteroid.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.