Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Davey Harris Jr
United States
Waukegan
IL
flag msg tools
mb
If this has already been asked then I apologize.

If you play a minion on a base where only you have minions and the minion you play says you have to destroy a minion, do you have to destroy your own minion?

Example: You play a Laseratops on a base where you already played a Zapbot with power 2

Laseratops:

Destroy a minion of power 2 or less on this base.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
super10or wrote:
If this has already been asked then I apologize.

If you play a minion on a base where only you have minions and the minion you play says you have to destroy a minion, do you have to destroy your own minion?
One of the Golden Rules of games like this: if the card doesn't say "you may," and the rulebook doesn't say "card text is optional," then you must.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah "may" is the magic word in all types of games like this.

in this instance it makes you play better searching out those combos. Another card virtually everybody I play with struggles with is microbot guard, people try to play it cheekily then end up killing their own minions lol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
The interesting thing about the Laseratops is that the Dinosaurs actually have no minions that are power 2 while in play (baring negative effects from opponent's cards) so you never have to worry about the Laseratops "sitting on" another dinosaur. Of course you have to be careful with the linked faction.

As for the Microbot Guard I too see it self destruct all the time cause people didn't read the card carefully enough

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Paul
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Short answer to the OP: Yes.

Just be sure to carefully read the bases "Cave of Shinies" (original base game) and "Field of Honor" (AL9000 expansion) and extrapolate info from there. Happy Smashing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Van
United States
Rexburg
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
we play that if it says destroy a minion the card means other players minions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
Jamesbv7 wrote:

Then you're playing wrong. There are times where it is beneficial to destroy (or return) your own minions and there are times where you have no choice but to destroy them so unless "other player" is specified your own minions are a viable target.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Tan
Philippines
Quezon City
Metro Manila
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
allstar64 wrote:
Jamesbv7 wrote:

Then you're playing wrong. There are times where it is beneficial to destroy (or return) your own minions and there are times where you have no choice but to destroy them so unless "other player" is specified your own minions are a viable target.

From the rulebook...

Smash Up Rulebook, page 9 wrote:

You must follow a card's ability, even if it's bad for you. However, if a card says you may do something, you have a choice whether to do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For any that might have this confusion.

You are allowed to play it if there is nothing you could kill (for example no power 2 creatures to kill). If I have a 3, 4 and a 5 down (or no creatures at all) and play lasertops... nothing dies. This is perfectly legal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian B
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
I wonder if Laseratops were debuffed by an ability like Sleeping Spores and it was the only possible target would it destroy itself? I think yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
VideoB wrote:
I wonder if Laseratops were debuffed by an ability like Sleeping Spores and it was the only possible target would it destroy itself? I think yes.

There have been many questions along this line before and the consensus seems to be 'no', which I completely agree with.

Here is the reason why... The lasertops ability is happening as soon as you are playing the card (essentially at the same time or before it hits the base) while the Sleeping Spores ability doesn't occur until after it has been played on the base. So his strength stays baseline until after his special ability has occured.

Some of the other examples were with (I think it's Tsar's Palace) the base where you can't play anything power 2 or below. You cannot play a War Raptor because it doesn't get that boost until it has already gone onto the base. Same situation, just with a buff rather than a debuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.