Popular Tags: [View All]
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
United States
Ennis
Montana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are there elevation rules, for things like being up on a hill or having units running through a canyon with some other units on top of the canyon edges, etc.

I have some lite rules and the miniature rules and but I don't think they are complete, I found a section about hills and shooting over a hill and line of sight and whatnot.

If anyone can point me in the right direction that would be great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Rayburn
United States
Gulfport
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are playing the real game, then nothing blocks line of sight. Can't say as to the miniatures version. There will be an updated reprint of the Ogre Miniatures rules later this year or next, but my suggestion would be to just get a copy of the Designer's Edition, so you will actually have a proper board to play on.

-Brian

Edit: If you already have some of the miniatures, the boards in the Designer's Edition will be to scale with them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
United States
Ennis
Montana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scarecrowking wrote:
If you are playing the real game, then nothing blocks line of sight. Can't say as to the miniatures version. There will be an updated reprint of the Ogre Miniatures rules later this year or next, but my suggestion would be to just get a copy of the Designer's Edition, so you will actually have a proper board to play on.

-Brian

Edit: If you already have some of the miniatures, the boards in the Designer's Edition will be to scale with them.

Thanks for the info Brian (and super fast reply)!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J White
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scarecrowking wrote:
Can't say as to the miniatures version.

OGRE Miniatures has Line of Sight rules (basically +2 to defensive value for armor units and OGRE tread only affected on a 6 if there's ground in the way; nothing less than ground matters) on page 35. Our group found them very strange, given the original game's "Everything is indirect fire tac nukes, so elevation doesn't matter" blanket treatment. One among many reasons we use our miniatures to play on a grid with the regular rules, rather than using the miniatures rules.

JJW-T.C.H.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Fridy
United States
Kent
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could make steep elevation impassable to most units, like how ridges were in Ogre. Infantry can probably handle it though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Robinson
England
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Keeping with the OGREverse theme of everything can be seen and hit, nowhere to hide, then the only elevation rules should be how hard it is for units to traverse/change elevation levels. Much as Freitag said IMHO.

Diff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
United States
Ennis
Montana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DIFFLOCK wrote:
Keeping with the OGREverse theme of everything can be seen and hit, nowhere to hide, then the only elevation rules should be how hard it is for units to traverse/change elevation levels. Much as Freitag said IMHO.

Diff.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Rock

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scarecrowking wrote:
If you are playing the real game, then nothing blocks line of sight.

This isn't exactly true. There is no concept of elevation, but there is one case where there is LOS to deal with: lasers. Certain types of terrain affect laser LOS, but no other weapons have this limitation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Rayburn
United States
Gulfport
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aha. True. I've never played GEV, only basic Ogre, so I had forgotten about Lasers.

-Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Lasers are introduced in Shockwave!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill K
United States
Unspecified
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Battlesuit LOS Rules
DIFFLOCK wrote:
Keeping with the OGREverse theme of everything can be seen and hit, nowhere to hide, then the only elevation rules should be how hard it is for units to traverse/change elevation levels.

There were, if I remember correctly, LOS rules in Battlesuit, the Steve Jackson game about combat between battlesuited infantry in the OGREverse. If memory serves, there was a penalty to a shot if the target was out of LOS; and there was also a targeting bonus (when a unit forewent it's own combat to "paint" the target for other firers). That system could be used as a starting point if you wanted to add LOS rules to OGRE.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.