Samuli Rask
Finland
Espoo
Espoo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi!

These may be silly questions but:

1. If I coup and the difference of two dices is 1 and the country I´m trying to coup has 3 influence in there and stability number of that country is 2 (So opponent controls that country), is the coup still successful although I can´t make that country uncontrolled?

2. If I coup and the difference of two dices is 1 and the country I´m trying to coup has 2 influence in there and stability number of that country is 3 (So opponent does not control that country), is the coup still successful although I can´t remove enemy influence?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harold Coleman
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're getting a coup confused with realignment rolls. For a coup, you roll only your one die and add the result to the ops on the card you played for the coup, taking into account any other modifiers in force (e.g. Red Scare/Purge), then subtract 2x the country's stability factor. So if you play a "3 Ops" card for a coup and roll a 4, your total is 7. Let's say you're the USSR trying to coup Iran and the US has 2 influence present. You subtract 2x2=4 from your total, so the result is 3. The US would remove 2 influence and you would place 1 USSR influence in Iran. You get 3 military ops for your effort and decrease DEFCON one level. Even if your coup "failed, " e.g. with a die roll of "1" and no influence was removed, you would still get 3 military ops. Hope that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't understand these questions at all. Firstly, when making a coup, you only roll 1 die. Secondly, I'm not sure why you're asking if the coup is "successful." Is there a card I'm not thinking of that depends on "a successful coup?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Habeo in animo vivere in perpetuum aut mori dum conor.
mbmbmbmbmb
spartax wrote:
Secondly, I'm not sure why you're asking if the coup is "successful." Is there a card I'm not thinking of that depends on "a successful coup?"

Che.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But Che defines on the card itself what qualifies as successful: you remove at least one enemy influence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David F
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
Luck in games, in measured doses, is the catalyst which enables shocking game-changers that you'll remember and talk about forever.
badge
Let the Lord of Chaos rule.
mbmbmbmbmb
I had to do a double-take on this one. Thought I saw 'questions about coupling' in the twilight struggle section.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
selwyth wrote:
I had to do a double-take on this one. Thought I saw 'questions about coupling' in the twilight struggle section.

laugh I had the exact same thought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuli Rask
Finland
Espoo
Espoo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry!

I meant if My die roll is let´s say 2 and card op number is 3 and countrys stability number is 2 and opponent has 2 influence here so he control that country. is the coup attempt successful although i can´t remove that 1 influence?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riku Riekkinen
Finland
Jyväskylä
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Agotha wrote:
I meant if My die roll is let´s say 2 and card op number is 3 and countrys stability number is 2 and opponent has 2 influence here so he control that country. is the coup attempt successful although i can´t remove that 1 influence?

Yes, for "Che"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agotha wrote:
Sorry!

Thanks

End result of the scenario above:

One influence from your opponent is removed (3+2) - (2x2) = 1

Coup is considered to be succesful as influences was removed as a result of the coup.

Enemy still has one influence left after the coup. So he no longer controls the target country (although this fact is not what determines "rulewise" the success of a coup).

Hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuli Rask
Finland
Espoo
Espoo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!

So in this case I still move military operation token 3 foward and if it was battleground country I move defcon status too?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell InGA
United States
Johns Creek
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
(Not looking at the rules...)

A Coup attempt (regardless of success or failure) gives you "Military Ops" equal to the value of the card played.

A Coup attempt (successful or not) in a Battleground country lowers DefCon by one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agotha wrote:
Thanks!

So in this case I still move military operation token 3 foward and if it was battleground country I move defcon status too?

Unless it was a "Free coup", you indeed move the military ops counter up three squares, regardless of the success of the said coup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Proudly annoying Capitalists since 1959
Cuba
Santa Clara
flag msg tools
badge
Heaven has no rage like love to hatred turned, Nor hell a fury like a woman scorned
mbmbmbmbmb
Agotha wrote:
Sorry!

Thanks

Is it me, or are you confusing the "2ops for 1 influence" rule when placing influence in an enemy controlled country with the rule of removing influence through a coup?

In your example you would remove 1 influence point from your opponent.

Cheers, Haring

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.