Scott Olson
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all,

I recently heard about this game. It looks fantastic, and have been signed up for the subscription. I'm going to play with a group with little/no RPG experience, but everyone really enjoys theme in games. Anyone have any suggestions for books to read or other ways to immerse myself in the Pathfinder lore?

Thanks,

Scott
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Very cool I've heard nothing about this. Assuming it's similar to the RPG campaign -

I'd ask this over at RPGGeek there's lots of great books on Pathfinder Lore - the only questions might be if they include spoliers (I'd be surprised given the target audience and nature of board games). For example there is a whole Rise of the Rulelords Campaign book that's pretty excellent but if you just sat down and read it it could spoil something (Certainly the RPG campaign).

Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Rise of the Runelords Player's Guide (this is free to legally download from Paizo)
Rise of the Runelords Anniversary Edition
etc.

You can also look at all the role books legally on the Paizo website - these have snippets of lore but are more about the rules.

Also this is an excellent Geeklist that'll help you see the products available: The Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: System Guide for New Players

Edit:
Taylor is a lot more knowledgable on this than me so I'd pay close attention to his suggestion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taylor Liss
United States
Quincy
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Best way to learn about the lore is with The Inner Sea World Guide and if you want to start out with the first Pathfinder novels published (the Adventures of Count Varian Jeggare and Radovan saga) then you can check out my reading list here
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well for a comprehensive overview of the actual in-game setting there's the Pathfinder Chronicles Campaign Setting Book (edit: ninja'd by Taylor, this is the same Inner Sea book he links to above)

If you prefer to explore the setting through fiction instead there's the Pathfinder Tales series of full novels and short fiction.

This also includes a good deal of professionally authored free to read web fiction.

Finally, if you prefer the graphic novel format there's also a series of Pathfinder Comics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(((100% real name)))
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mb
http://www.pathfinderwiki.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Olson
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the info everyone, I really appreciate the responses!

Now to convince the wife that the purchase of these books doesn't count toward the GenCon budget.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.