Popular Tags: [View All]
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan, Cats were once worshipped as gods and they haven't forgotten this, Combat Commander series fan, The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!, Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
I may be missing something obvious but why is the Union the first player ... what would you expect to do as the Union player?

You have no reinforcements until 9:00am, both of the Buford calvary units are on the board in decent spots (i.e., waiting positions to interfere with the first Confederate reinforcements if they try a road move), and it seems to me the first turn as Union, except for the declaration of your next turns general orders, are simply to do nothing.

What am I missing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing, except optimize your battle token tray based on the entry queues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
There are no Confederates on the board, and there's no guarantee any will arrive soon. So it doesn't seem too unreasonable to have the Union move first.

Also, since the second player has the initiative, and you want the CSA to have the initiative, the USA has to be first player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan, Cats were once worshipped as gods and they haven't forgotten this, Combat Commander series fan, The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!, Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
lomn wrote:
Nothing, except optimize your battle token tray based on the entry queues.

Right. You draw "x" tokens (where x = hours of turn) and then keep 8. Forgot that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich James
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
True, but regarding the very early game, turns will only be one hour. Both sides need at least 3 blocks of infantry before turns can possibly be longer than that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David S.
msg tools
mbmbmb
Seems to me having Union go first preserves historical accuracy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Fort Polk
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
arjisme wrote:
True, but regarding the very early game, turns will only be one hour. Both sides need at least 3 blocks of infantry before turns can possibly be longer than that.
emphasis mine.

I just reread sections 7 and 18 and I see no restriction that preventing cavalry blocks from counting towards maximum turn duration.
Am I missing something?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich James
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're correct. Specify infantry in that statement was being over-restrictive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.