9 Posts

Formula D» Forums » Rules

Subject: Wearpoints during qualifying lap rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Morty !
Norway
flag msg tools
I wonder about the details of driving qualifying lap. It says that wearpoints are not taken into account, other than the number of squares overshot in corners.
What, then, stops me from applying more or less endless braking (since they are disregarded anyway), driving through the track in high gear, always choosing the optimal position through liberal application of brakes?

So it's obvious to me, wearpoints cannot be totally unrestricted during qualifying laps, but where is the line drawn? Did I miss anything here?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niels Kjær
Denmark
Malling
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
During qualification, you are not allowed to brake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Papageorgiou
Greece
Larisa
Larisa
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
There is no actual entry in the rules, about forbidding braking during the qualification lap, or preventing you from using the highest gear all the time and applying brakes to achieve the minimum allowed corner stops. It kind of defeats the purpose of using a high gear dice though, as it effectively is the same as using a lower more appropriate dice.

Timed qualification laps are meant to be played as if it was a normal game round, as far as gears are concerned. If people that you play with, tend to exploit the rules by using the high gear all the time, you should consider rolling the black die for qualification and avoid time trials.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No breaking! :) Basically what they mean is that you have unlimited tire-, engine-, and gear points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Spas
United States
Rescue
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unlimited points???
So then what is stopping me from getting in 6th gear and riding that dice all lap?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niels Kjær
Denmark
Malling
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
each space you overshoot will give you one Q point (let us call them that), two if you are using soft tires.
Each full minute you use will also give you a Q point.

The winner of the qualifying is the driver with the fewest amount of Q points.
If there are ties, the precise time is used as tie breaker.

There is, at least in our league, a clear connection between how many Q points you manage to get and your starting position.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morty !
Norway
flag msg tools
I have come to the conclusion that the way to interpret this is that tire wearpoints function as normal during qualification, but running out of other kinds of wearpoints will not remove my car from the qualification. So I still have only a limited number of break points available to me, but using them does not affect my qualifying score.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Papageorgiou
Greece
Larisa
Larisa
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
In qualification time trial, your car has no wear points,(or you could say it has unlimited WP as far as destruction goes). The point is that you do not look at them as if they are not there.

What taalmod and Gawain probably mean by no 'braking allowed', is that since you do not take into account the WP, in effect you do not have break WP to use for breaking(or for any other category for that matter). So although the 'no braking' rule is not in the rulebook (for either the old Formula De or newer Formula D), is kind of logically implied. (correct me if I interpreted wrong)

In any case though, each driver should use the appropriate gear dice, that will enable them to do the required stops or only miss one stop per turn. Even if you allow braking. Otherwise if only using the 6th die, everyone will have the same total time which beats the time trial purpose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niels Kjær
Denmark
Malling
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You are not allowed to brake during qualifying.
Apart from that, you move like normal, with the exception that you do not have wearpoints, think of your car as a supercar with unlimited WP in all categories.

Each turn is one Q point.

Each space you have overshot a corner with equals one Q point, except if you are on soft tires, in which it is two per space.

Each full minute spent equals one Q point (yes, it is possible to be fast enough for the time to 'not' count)

Add your Q points together, the driver with the fewest Q points takes the pole and so on.
In case of ties, time is the tie breaker.

The league I play in has recorded our qualifying sessions since 2004.
If you are interested, you can take a look at the Monaco page here: http://www.formulade.dk/index.php?page=qualification&year=20...
There is a dropdown box you can use for other circuits, although we have not race tracks from expansion 3 & 4 yet.

I hope this makes it clearer

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.