David Thompson
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, while I try to figure out a better approach for the Erthen biodomes/Echo base/Basement gamescape, I decided to work on an easier one in the meantime: a railyard/construction area.

I also made sure that these tiles can work in conjunction with Streets of Ruin, which I think is a nice little bonus.

Here are some sneakpeaks:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R T
Portugal
LX
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great stuff.
I'm developing / trying some new approaches I expect to discuss in a near future (if I like what my simulations produce).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thompson
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some changes:

Went with a new background, got rid of the unrealistic 90 degree turns, and designed these so the flip side of each tile could combine with Streets of Ruin for even more variability.

Full, high-res gamescape pack coming VERY soon...

Previews:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thompson
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, here is the link to the high res version of the Railyard from the downloads page on the website (http://www.skirmishtactics.com/downloads/)

http://www.skirmishtactics.com/Railyard.pdf

Warning: As usual with all my full res files, this thing is BIG (67 MBs).

I've submitted the low res version to BGG and expect it to be available within a day or so.

For playtesters - you'll note that this set was designed so that it can be used in conjunction with Streets of Ruin (but doesn't require Streets of Ruin). What I'd like to know is do you prefer this approach or the standalone style used for Fields of Battle?

Any other specific thoughts, comments, criticism, etc is welcomed and appreciated as always.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Order of the Echolight
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That looks cool There seems to be a lot of elevation, nearly every tile. Maybe should have lesser elevation? Its quite unlike fields of battle were like half of them don't have elevation. Going to download it . Thanks for the gamescape
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thompson
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Comarauthen wrote:
That looks cool There seems to be a lot of elevation, nearly every tile. Maybe should have lesser elevation? Its quite unlike fields of battle were like half of them don't have elevation. Going to download it . Thanks for the gamescape

It's true - most of them do have at least some elevation. I need to conduct a study of the breakdown of Elevated/Blocking/Difficult/Water spaces for each gamescape, just to make sure there aren't any major issues. The main thing is that the structure and design of the Elevated Terrain in this set is a little more consistent than the others, due to all the rail cars being Elevated Terrain. Let me know what you guys think. I'm definitely interested in any opinions that can change the actual mechanics of the gamescapes for the better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Order of the Echolight
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just downloaded it. I like the tracks idea and it will make the gamescape more fun. Can also use it to force others to place some tiles. However, in my opinion, as there is only 1 tile with no elevation, i think that there is too much elevation. That would make it more unfair for combine especially. Should change some of the tiles to a more open tiles to make it more balanced.

Compared with Streets of Ruin where there is a reasonable amount of non-elevation tiles. I feel that the amount of difficult, blocking and elevation in Streets of Ruin is great

Half of the tiles in Fields of Battle have no elevation at all and most tiles have difficult. I think maybe fields of battle should have a bit more elevation and lesser difficult. I don't think there is blocking in Fields of Battle too. Fluff wise, Fields of Battle is great since fields are open but there should be some balance.

For Fields of Battle and Railyard, although there should be lesser elevation in FoB and more in Railyard, there should be a better balance and I feel that Railyard has too much elevation while some tiles in Fields of Battle should have little bits of elevation. Just my opinion though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thompson
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I tend to agree with pretty much everything you said. Basically you're asking for the gamescapes to have a fair amount of balance with regard to terrain type. However, as a counterpoint, one of my primary online playtesters made the opposite pitch: he thought the gamescapes (specifically Streets of Ruin and Fields of Battle) were too similar mechanically, and he actually proposed removing some of the Elevated Terrain from Fields of Battle to make them more mechanically distinct.

The most basic thing I can do is a simple count of terrain squares. That doesn't tell the full story, though, especially in the case of Elevated Terrain. The number of continuous Elevated Terrain squares (especially those that can support Huge characters) often plays a critical role in a skirmish.

I'd like to hear thoughts from others on whether they prefer gamescapes to be either:

1. Fairly well balanced with one another with regard to terrain;
2. Drastically different with regard to terrain, offering a unique mechanical experience;
3. Something else.

Note that none of this will matter when I make the subterranean tiles, which will obviously have tons of Blocking Terrain.

The other question - does everyone prefer gamescape sets that can be merged with Streets of Ruin (like the Railyard) or stand-alone designs (like Fields of Battle as currently designed)? Note that the only set they will be able to merge directly with will be Streets of Ruin because it will be included in the base game. However, if multiple sets can merge with Streets of Ruin, then they can all have some level of interoperability as long as they include Streets of Ruins tiles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thompson
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, so I conducted a basic breakdown of the terrain disposition by gamescape set in this thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.