Brad Mcpherson
United States
Sand Springs
Ok
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While tossing around draft ideas for SWLCG I came up with the following

Chaos Draft

Remove The objective from each pod and set it to the side. Shuffle the remaining cards into one large deck. Shuffle the objectives into a second smaller deck.

Create 3 Packets of 15 cards to hand to each player from the larger deck. These packets will have both Light and dark side cards in them. For this variant you will not be constrained by the regular deck building rules.

Each player will pick one card from their packet and then pass the packet to the player on their right. Then pick up the packet on their left and take 1 card and pass the packet to the right. Do this until all 15 cards are gone from the packet.

Then each player will take their second packet, pick a card from it and pass it to the left. Take the packet from their right, take a card and pass the packet to their left. Continue this way until all cards are gone from the packet.

Repeat the same process as the first packet for the third.

Next take the shuffled Objectives and distribute 15 to each player. (The more players that are drafting may require additional core sets and expansions up to a maximum of 8 players)

Each player take 1 of the objectives and passes the remaining objectives to the left. Then takes the Objectives on their right, picks one, and passes the remaining to the left. Continue this way until all objectives are gone.

Players are then given 15 Minutes to build a 30 card 10 objective deck from the drafted cards. You will still need to match resource requirements, but your starting resource is considered to be any and all affiliations. (This allows you to play any faction specific Objectives as well)

This seems like it would be similar to cube drafting in magic and very fun! You could change the available objectives and cards in the Cube to promote a healthier game play but Out of the box I feel like this captures a lot of what I like about limited formats, and puts it in a familiar frame.

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Armstrong
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Might be fun. My first thought is 30 cards is too small, people will deck out. Second thought is that I would never want to be the guy who has to seperate all those cards at the end! Lastly, I would not volunteer my cards to be mixed up like that with other people's cards because of how crazy I am about keeping them in good condition. Too many card benders out there!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Blakeney
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Saej wrote:
My first thought is 30 cards is too small, people will deck out.

Agreed on this. 30 cards is kind of crazy in a game that cycles cards as quickly as this does.

Also, I went ahead and linked you from my thread on drafting, for ease of information sharing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schwarz
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grazingcattle wrote:
For this variant you will not be constrained by the regular deck building rules.

I'm starting to think, drafting in Star Wars is going to have to do this. Pods are a great mechanic for simplifying deck building, but in draft or "sealed deck", they sabotage the format.

I'd say for draft, the deck building rules should be: the objective deck must contain at least 8 objectives, it cannot contain more than two copies of any individual objective, the draw deck must contain at least 40 cards, it cannot contain more than four copies of any card.

I'm tempted to suggest: if a unique card is included, no other cards with the same title may be included.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.