Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm really unhappy about the lack of opponent for this game I've got three decks built that I really want to try out, and two of them are control-style decks (the third is a ToL priestess with Goblin Builders):

* a mana denial deck with the earth Wizard (Mana Siphon, Suppression Orb, Mordok's Obelisk, Suppression Cloak, Mana Leeches and Essence Drains, etc.), with the combination of Force Hold / Force Crush and Earth Elemental or Iron Golem as win condition once the opponent doesn't have any mana any more

* a curse-heavy mobility Warlock deck (with both Sectarus and the promo Sersiryx) with of Chains of Agony, Enfeeble and Cheetah Speed, Mass Sleep, plus Force Waves and Teleports that tries to win with damage from Ghoul Rot, Death Link, Rots from Darkfenne Bats and Magebane with Poisoned Blood mostly

I think the game offers plenty of opportunities for control, but I think one of the weaknesses of current control decks is that there's no real way of mass removal of summoned creatures. There's a couple of AoE spells, sure, but even when they're boosted with rings they rarely get more than 5 dice of damage, that's an average 2-3 (full) casts to get down most creatures, giving the opponent plenty of time to react...

What I figured I'd do with the Warlock deck was combining Walls of Fire with Force Wave, but that just buys a bit of time and doesn't really kill much. And Mass Sleep of course, but that has negative synergies with the DoT damage of curses and flame damage (because of the Burn condition).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr G
United Kingdom
Hatfield Heath
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
haslo wrote:
I'm really unhappy about the lack of opponent for this game I've got three decks built that I really want to try out, and two of them are control-style decks (the third is a ToL priestess with Goblin Builders):

Check out OCTGN for excellent on line play. Plenty of friendly gamers on there for Mage Wars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr G
United Kingdom
Hatfield Heath
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Excellent article.

I have a couple of Wizard builds that work this way. Not mana denial, more positional control with nasty conditions such as weak and cripple. First few games I lost as I reacted too much to taking damage early on.

I had an epiphany in a particular game vs a Warlock where I had taken quite a bit of damage and he was in my face with his mage and a demon. I stayed calm and kept focussing on control and tricky spells (e.g. Sleep then reverse attack took care of Demon). I could palpably feel the tide turning as I started to dominate the board, push around the Warlock , give him six weak tokens and strip his armour. I was also able to heal via a belt.

It was a dramatic version of the tactics you are describing.

The key message for me was aligned to yours... Don't be afraid to take early damage. Keep focused on control and you may well win the long game.

Nowadays, I feel that a book can carry several routes to victory within its covers. Control can often be PART of that, but flexibility is key.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Douglass
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zone attacks don't get boosted by Fireshaper Ring or Lightning Ring, so I'm not sure what you're talking about there.

I can definitely relate to not having enough opponents. A few more people showed up today, so that's encouraging, but that group only meets every other week...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr G
United Kingdom
Hatfield Heath
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sdougla2 wrote:
Zone attacks don't get boosted by Fireshaper Ring or Lightning Ring, so I'm not sure what you're talking about there.

I can definitely relate to not having enough opponents. A few more people showed up today, so that's encouraging, but that group only meets every other week...

Hey Mr Douglas,

Get onto OCTGN. I'd love to give you a game. There are several friendly guys there and it is very much like playing the game FTF. Plenty of chatting and talking through tactics and the like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Edmond
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And another great article from "The Dude!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Cone
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Thanks for posting an article featuring something other than a combo/tank route to victory! I think one factor that may also be keeping people from more experimentation with control builds is the time limit in competitive play. For those of us lucky to be able to play in tournaments, there are time limits for each round that vary from 60-90 minutes (typically). With only 75 minutes or less to kill the opposing mage, I feel that some people may be scared to try out control.

Thanks for your contributions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
sdougla2 wrote:

Oups, thanks for the heads-up! So that makes zone attacks even worse than I thought at creature removal, yay

Edit: But, why? Fireshaper Ring gives the mage Ranged +1 "for all attacks he makes that deal flame damage", and Ring of Fire is a ranged zone attack that deals flame damage. What am I missing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purple Paladin

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Speaking of "The lack of opponents for this game", as written above. I was in a local game store right near me two weeks ago. I was looking for Mage Wars accessories, and I could not find any. After giving up, and asking a clerk, I was told they had none. I then found out they had "delegated" their one Mage Wars copy to the back of the store, in a shelf, in a corner.

So I decide to buy some card sleeves, and while I'm waiting in line, I'm pondering why such an incredible game like Mage Wars seems so hidden from players everywhere I go. Then, I hear the clerk ringing up the guy in front of me say "That will be $180 please", and I see the guy is buying MtG cards.

And after my purchase, I look around the store and finally notice for the first time (after going there for years) that 1/5th the entire store space is delegated for MtG. A huge entire 10x10 glass case, and two walls.

And there's your answer. Why would they push MW when MtG gets them so much more money, and on a continuous basis too . . . :/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafael Fuentes
United States
Hialeah
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent article, Dude. I also agree that there is a hyper agressive metta game at the moment but your article has opened my eyes to new possibilities. Thanks for the input! Keep'em coming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Reisinger
msg tools
mbmb
There is a reason why people play hyper agrresive, because it works and is the best trategy in most cicumstances. Pure control can never be competitive, because all it takes in for you to come up against one forcemaster and your done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr G
United Kingdom
Hatfield Heath
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Hey Padstow,

I agree with that call. I am currently trying out a book without creature or Mage damage to see if I can control the opponent to death.

Several thorny walls, force pushes, dissolves, explodes, poison clouds, stumbles, jet streams, Huginn. wizard's tower...

You get the idea. I'll let you know how it goes. Not well so far but it sure is fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konrad T
Poland
Szczecin
flag msg tools
haslo wrote:
sdougla2 wrote:

Oups, thanks for the heads-up! So that makes zone attacks even worse than I thought at creature removal, yay

Edit: But, why? Fireshaper Ring gives the mage Ranged +1 "for all attacks he makes that deal flame damage", and Ring of Fire is a ranged zone attack that deals flame damage. What am I missing?

Mage Wars Official FAQ wrote:
Ranged +X
Updated wording:
This creature gains +X attack dice when it makes a ranged attack. Has no effect on zone attacks. Does
not grant a ranged attack if this creature does not have one. If the creature makes multiple attacks
during the same attack action, it gains this bonus only for the first attack it can make with this bonus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr G
United Kingdom
Hatfield Heath
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fentum wrote:

Hey Padstow,

I agree with that call. I am currently trying out a book without creature or Mage damage to see if I can control the opponent to death.

Several thorny walls, force pushes, dissolves, explodes, poison clouds, stumbles, jet streams, Huginn. wizard's tower...

You get the idea. I'll let you know how it goes. Not well so far but it sure is fun!

I just tried that deck out vs a basic Warlock. He ran with lots of armour, Adramalech, Necropian Vampiress and some curses. I won the game without doing any damage with creatures other than a counter striking Guardian Angel.

Extended wall of thorns plus Huginns flying above the walls to cast Force Push were the key, along with a Wizard's Tower and Jet Stream. Took a while to wear down the armour and rhino hide, but ultimately worked as intended.

Quite fun but very complex to pull off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Adam
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ive only played against the Forcemaster once so far (and only 3 games in total) but thought that the FM was a bit of a sucker for a mana control strategy. She's often paying out upkeep for things each turn in this instance +1 for invisibile stalker), +4 trying to maintain mind control on my medussa, I had suppression cloak on, so that was sucking up some mana with her attacks, every attack she shielded against would have been another +1 mana (but we'd forgotten that and were treating it like a standard defence). I'd also gotten the (can't remember the name, but +2 upkeep) on one of her other creatures.

I still lost, but mostly I think because of some game errors we'd made that got my hydra killed off without doing any damage (played the defend avoided the whole 3 attacks!) and I forgot I could counter strike ... sigh! I also should have been guarding with my mage to try and keep my creatures alive - he couldnt get much on me due to the supression cloak and low mana, so he demolished my posse, which I wasn't that happy with :/

I was only using the stock deck, and wasn't playing a pure mana control strategy, but it was working and seriously lowering the FM range of options much more efficiently than my attacks were/could.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr G
United Kingdom
Hatfield Heath
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
padawanofthegames wrote:
Try switching the hydra out for something a little more threatening c;

Exactly that. I feel that Hydra is great vs no armour, but poor vs any armour. Plenty other options that may surprise your opponent...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Green
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great article! I'd love to see articles like this on a variety of deck types:

aggro/control/combo
rush
nuke
solo (creatureless)
mage as support/healer only
out-of-school surprise cards that work well with particular mages/builds
Crazy theme builds
Trap-wall-construct builds
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purple Paladin

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Andy won this cat at Mage Wars using this tactic:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.