Rus
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see how to reconcile the following two statements:

rules, p. 10 wrote:
An operative also automatically escapes the facility if he is in the entry room and is forced to move backward by a game effect

But,

FAQ wrote:
There is no effect in the game that forces an operative to move backward from the entry room.

In particular, what happens if one of the following game effects causes you to move backward from the entry room?

1. Biomedical lab room
2. Motion performance testing area room
3. Xpress O2 item
4. Hologram projector item
5. Frictionless slippers item
6. Movement tracker item
7. Utility belt item
8. Stims item
9. Quanju PT

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Basically, the reconciliation was that you could activate a room to "force" yourself to move backward out of the building. Since it is a choice to get yourself out, then it works. What it boils down to is that you cannot be forced out by the action of someone else.

We discovered a case during playtesting where on the first move of the game, the first player advanced to a room (I don't recall all the cards involved, just the actions that occurred) where she could have activated the room that pushes us all backwards. Since the other 3 of us were still on the start space, we all would have been pushed out of the building without even taking a single turn. She could have collected 1 data and won the game without fear of the timer going off. It was a very unsatisfying condition (she chose not to do that and we played it out regularly).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rus
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, thanks, but the FAQ in the OP seems to be explicitly saying something different (and contradictory to the rules). Are you saying the FAQ is phrased incorrectly and should have been phrased as "There is no effect in the game that forces an operative other than yourself to move backward from the entry room"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
rbelikov wrote:
Ok, thanks, but the FAQ in the OP seems to be explicitly saying something different (and contradictory to the rules). Are you saying the FAQ is phrased incorrectly and should have been phrased as "There is no effect in the game that forces an operative other than yourself to move backward from the entry room"?

No. I am saying that the FAQ overrides the rules in this particular case. The operative word is "force." If your opponent does something that pushes you out of the building, then you stop in the first room and go no further. This would otherwise be forcing you to move out.

If you do something that pushes you out of the building, it is applied because you choose to activate it to get you out of the building.

I don't have the cards handy to pick out any nuances of what was listed. But if you apply the "rule of thumb" it will hopefully clear up most of the cases you have listed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool, this is very helpful. So, just so make sure I'm understanding it correctly: suppose we're on our way out of the facility, and the biomedical lab is the next-to-entry room, and I sledgehammer the lock.

I'm guessing that what happens is that each player in the biomedical lab chooses (in Resolution order?) whether to escape the facility or to only get pushed back as far as the entry room and then stop there (presumably because they think they still have time to snag those 3 DF tokens I just liberated).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Davies
United Kingdom
Winchmore Hill
London
flag msg tools
Lv 30 Lawful/Evil Human Dungeon Master
badge
In Toruk's name!
mb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
rbelikov wrote:

No. I am saying that the FAQ overrides the rules in this particular case. The operative word is "force." If your opponent does something that pushes you out of the building, then you stop in the first room and go no further. This would otherwise be forcing you to move out.

If you do something that pushes you out of the building, it is applied because you choose to activate it to get you out of the building.

I don't have the cards handy to pick out any nuances of what was listed. But if you apply the "rule of thumb" it will hopefully clear up most of the cases you have listed.

Surely this should have come under the errata sction of the FAQ? It specifically contradicts the rulebook which states that you can force people out by a game effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Lambert
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, the FAQ question is as confusing as the answer in this case:

Quote:
Q: Is an operative in the entry room able to move backward (or continue moving backward) due to an item card effect or Interface function?

A: No. There is no effect in the game that forces an operative to move backward from the entry room.

So this seems to imply that one is not ABLE to move backward from the entry room using a card effect or Interface function. But, then again the wording of the answer doesn't appear to correspond with the question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
sum1els wrote:
Hmm, the FAQ question is as confusing as the answer in this case:

Quote:
Q: Is an operative in the entry room able to move backward (or continue moving backward) due to an item card effect or Interface function?

A: No. There is no effect in the game that forces an operative to move backward from the entry room.

So this seems to imply that one is not ABLE to move backward from the entry room using a card effect or Interface function. But, then again the wording of the answer doesn't appear to correspond with the question.

I don't like how it is worded either. Like I said, I hinge on the word "force" in that if you want to move out you can. But someone else doing it won't cause you to leave earlier than you want to.

At first, I recall FFG not wanting to rule on it since it seemed such a fringe case. So they mentioned it in the rules as possible. But then it seemed like it came up after production in other cases as well so they added it to the FAQ. But it almost seems like they were answering the previous issue than dealing with what might have come up post production.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.