5 Posts

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Descent 2nd Edition tile question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Smolinski

Wisconsin
msg tools
I've been playing Descent 2nd edition now for a few months. A few of the dungeon tiles are starting to fray slightly where they lock together. Does anyone have a sugestion as how to preserve the cardboard as long as possible?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Sinnett
United States
Philomath
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometimes when I run into a situation like that (generally with thrifted games, but I ran into it with some tiles in Descent 1E as well), a very very small amount of Elmer's White Glue can reinforce it quite nicely. Make sure it gets in between the layers of the cardboard, and try to avoid getting it on the surface if you can.

On a side note, a similar method works wonderfully if you use a corner jig of some sort, for busted box corners.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Smolinski

Wisconsin
msg tools
Thank you for the response. Figured glue would be my best route... I thought someone had some deep secret out there for frayed cardboard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D P
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Something a friend of mine did in college was to dip/spray new interlocking tiles of games with a clear sealer you normally use on miniatures. It reinforces them and helps to keep them straighter and seals the edges.

On a used piece, I'd guess after you glue or press it back together into place, you could do the same thing to make it last longer.

The D2e tiles lock together really tightly, so don't personally know how well this would work with a sealant since it will add a small layer, and thus increase the size of the joining bits a little.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
badge
Sometimes life is scary and dark. That is why we must find the light. -BMO
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had a lot of luck with clear nail polish. Preferably matte if you can get it.

Not only does it stiffen cardboard, but it gives it a HARD protective coating. Just a bit on the edges.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.