Pierre-Luc Thiffault
Canada
St-Laurent
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all!

I wanted your opinion on these 3 Avalon Hill games. History of the World, Britannia and Maharaja.

1. Which one of the 3 is more interesting ?
2. How much are they similiar and/or different from each other ?
3. Anyone of the games in particular has something which the other 2 games doesn't ?
4. Any strong points or major weakness in all 3 games ?

At some point I might want one of the three. Just not sure which one of the 3 is best for my dollars. I have played History of the World a couple of times and found it to be my liking. Britannia I played only once, so it would be difficult to be objective after just one play. As for Maharaja, I never got the chance to play it. So am pretty much in the dark about Maharaja.

dwarf

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Richbourg
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
This is Kyoshi, our adopted Shiba Inu.
mbmbmbmbmb
Britannia and Maharaja are both good the first few times you play, but have less replay value in my opinion than History of the World. I'd get HotW. Try out the variant for HotW described here also.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played none of them, but I know of what I speak.

Maharaja uses the same basic systems as Britannia, but transplants them to India. There seems to be a feeling that certain colors really don't have uch of a chance at winning in Majaraja, far more than is the case with Britannia. I'd say look into the upcoming FFG reprint of Britannia, as you won't be paying the OOP premium for it. Maharaja is pretty cheap on eBay. the newer AH HotW is a pretty nice component set, but I'm guessing it's starting to get pretty pricey as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gotthard Heinrici (prev. Graf Strachwitz)
Germany
Düsseldorf
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I own HOTW and have not played the other two but read everything possible on the site and when I saw HOTW I got it.

I played numerous times and I am AMAZED by it's elegant play and replayability value. Very very exciting for both light and advanced gamers.

The most heard gripe is the length but you can simply play till a certain Epoch in order to reduce it (it will reduce the anxiety at the end). The balance with less players you can increase by taking out the weakest and strongest Epochs each turn.

If you can buy HOTW: go for it: excellent production value, excellent replayability, very engaging, interesting for all groups.

My suggestion: HISTORY OF THE WORLD

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Browne
United States
Terre Haute
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played the (newer versions?) other two, but I have gotten much use out of History of the World. It is a pretty good update of an old game (and I actually like THIS version better than the old one) and is "light" enough to get the interest of less "serious" gamers and wargamers. To them it's a funner version of Risk. I have many games I've spent much money on and only played once or twice, but HotW is not one of them and well worth the money I spent on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Hope
United States
Woodside
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played HotW a few times and enjoyed it every time I've played it.

Britannia I've probably played over 100 times and it's one of my favorite games ever. But it's ONLY for 4 players, and it takes a learning curve to get familiar with the game's rhythms. The new FFG version is the one to get both for better eye candy and for a few good rule changes.

I've never played Maharaja but have heard the same thing as others--imbalanced and somewhat boring as various powers swoop through conquering everything.

To me, it depends on your play group--HotW scales better in number of players and is more immediately accessible, Britannia is a "deeper" (there's that word...yech) game which would be a better buy for a group of 4 who get together regularly IMO. I think you can't go wrong with HotW whereas Britannia is a riskier buy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Merchant
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HotW is fantastic; even my wife begs to play it. Do note the FAQ and rules tweaks, however.

I will be getting Britannia, because the word of mouth is so good and it looks like it wasn't screwed with too much by the FFG staff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stephenhope wrote:
HotW scales better in number of players and is more immediately accessible, Britannia is a "deeper" (there's that word...yech) game which would be a better buy for a group of 4 who get together regularly IMO.

I agree - HotW is a fine game, which is easy to pick up and play. Britannia is more complex.

Quote:
Maharaja uses the same basic systems as Britannia, but transplants them to India.

Yes. And I remember similar complaints about Britannia being unbalanced. A couple of articles on Britannia stats in Sumo magazine rather demolished the criticisms that x or y colour just couldn't win. I wouldn't be surprised if a similar exercise on Maharaja proved the same. Although it's getting on in years now, Maharaja is more recent than Britannia and I've never seen anything similar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Guenette
Canada
Montréal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pierre-Luc,

History of the World is the way to go. The Britannia system has less replay valu. After a few games, the game tend to play itself. If you're to get History of the World, get an Avalon hill edition. The Hasbro is beautifull, but the figures are more a headache than anything else, and there were few streamlining rules that may shortened the game a little, but make it less fun...

My opinion, I've been known to be wrong numerous time

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Over 50 Gamer
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Oliver......one cool cat
badge
MEOW!
mbmbmbmbmb
I own and have played all 3 games. HOTW plays the best in my opinion, but for some reason Britannia always appealed to me a wee bit more. I think that its probably because I find British history fascinating and Britannia gives you a bit more historical flavour. HOTW covers so much history so quickly that I find I dont get a lot of immersion from it. HOTW games a bit better though. Just as a side note, there is a very good computer version of HOTW that plays quite well and gives a good fight and looks very good. You can probably find it on the underdogs website now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Browne
United States
Terre Haute
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also recommend the computer version of HotW. Pretty good game. And I also believe it can be found on "Home of the Underdogs" as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only played History of the World from the ones mentioned here, and I don't think that much of it. However I have played another example of the genre, Hispania, and I advise you to stay as far away from that one as possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin McPartland
United States
Jessup
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
Oliver Hazard Perry leader counter from Amateurs, To Arms! by Clash of Arms Games.
badge
Warrior Band counter for Conquest of Paradise by GMT Games.
mbmbmbmbmb
I own and have played all 3 games, and greatly enjoy them all! Your choice about which to get should be determined by subject matter: what do want to learn about, India, Britain, or an overview of the world? All are fun games, all very well produced. Although Maharaja has a ballance problem that makes it unsuitable for tournaments. And I think that the latest edition of HotW is clearly the best.

Another game using the Britannia system is Rus, which brings the system to Russia. I'd avoid it, also.

Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre-Luc Thiffault
Canada
St-Laurent
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very cool. Interesting opinions and good reading. HotW is the way to go from the looks of thing. Thank you from your input. I appreciate the information given on the 3 games.

dwarf

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Hope
United States
Woodside
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hispania and Rus are both games that just don't cut it compared to Britannia--Hispania has way too much "first I play this power, then you do" action and Rus is just one invasion after another sweeping across the plains with nobody daring to fight them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.