10 Posts

Shadow Hunters» Forums » Sessions

Subject: I may have successfully killed Bang! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
zombie homer
msg tools
designer
We have a few 30+ mins games for our lunch gaming group but ever since I introduced BANG! to the group, they never wanted to play the rest of the games!

Gameplay for Bang! became stale for me, but I went along for the good company and only really enjoyed the infrequent games I was dealt the Renegade. So it was back to BGG to search for a Bang! killer...

The reviews and posts on BGG convinced me that Shadow Hunters is 'The One'.
So I tried to gather 6 of us to introduce the game. I got 7 - perfect!

Learning to Play Shadow Hunters

I'm not sure if it was because we all played Bang!, but SH was a breeze to teach. Everyone got the mechanics in 5 mins, I did a brief intro of the characters, and we got started.

Everyone took a good long look at their character card, learning for the first time their win condition and special ability.

I was George - great! I thought to myself... I should be able to survive at least half of the game with my high HP!

Let the Hunt Begin!

After a round of a few hermit cards, the attack begun. My left neighbor was the unfortunate recipient of the attacks (mostly launched by the Neutrals).
Her token progressed down the damage track, each time she moved, we expected her to die and reveal... but no! She survived the attack and stopped just before 14 HP!

As George, I had just confirmed my first target!

Her neighbor is attacking everyone and taunting others to retaliate - Daniel or Allie trying to pull a fast one?? He launched a couple of high damage attacks on my right neighbor, who after 3 rounds, decided to reveal - Vampire.

I am seated between my enemies...

So the Vampire attacked the neutrals in his kill zone and tried to suck blood to heal. He managed to heal 2 HPs but was attacked by others (I still did not know who my partner was at this point).

He was weakened and during my turn, I was lucky enough to deal the death blow to him. Vampire was taken out and Daniel had to reveal - the dude who was taunting everyone!

Game Ending Round

With 2 HPs left, my neighbor Werewolf tried desperately to heal, but landed a couple of defensive items instead. She attacked and took out Allie instead of either of the Hunters.

At this point, Charles must have been thinking victory is close! But alas, he did not get a chance to get near anyone to clock his kill.

Then came my turn again... I revealed and used my d4 on Werewolf - I rollef a 2!
Bam! She's out!
Hunters and Daniel win!

How's that a Game Worth Posting?

Heh, I know, it's neither exceptional nor high in tension, and perhaps just one of the usual games.

For me, this game was huge cos after the game ended, everyone totally wanted to go another round (we couldn't cos we were out of time). One guy asked if there's iOS version he can download!

They loved it.

So this post is also meant to thank fellow geeks here: with your help, I may have finally succeeded in my quest to kill Bang! cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan DeBardeleben
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Shadow Hunters. The only problem is getting it on the table because of the large number of required players. If you've got a regular group that plays at that size (like, lunchtime as you say) then I totally envy you. Enjoy.

Don't forget there's a cool expansion once your group gets tired of the base game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zombie homer
msg tools
designer
Thanks! I'm totally looking forward to more SH sessions!
We usually get 5 of us, so not sure if it'll be as much fun with just 1 Neutral.

Being late to the party helped in this case - I have the z-man edition that comes with the expansion characters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you not tried either The Resistance: Avalon or One Night Werewolf?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Allen
United States
Madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Samurai Sword is the Bang reboot. It removes player elimination and adds a timing mechanic so that the game can't go on forever like occasionally Bang can.

I like it much better than Bang personally. I like SH too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zombie homer
msg tools
designer
clydeiii wrote:

Yes, Avalon is my favorite game! It was displaced by Bang! for my lunch group but fortunately I have a more infrequent group to play Avalon with. Not as often as I wish though...

No to One Night Werewolf, I'll definitely take a look. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
zombie_homer wrote:
clydeiii wrote:

Yes, Avalon is my favorite game! It was displaced by Bang! for my lunch group but fortunately I have a more infrequent group to play Avalon with. Not as often as I wish though...

No to One Night Werewolf, I'll definitely take a look. Thanks!
There is an amazing video explaining how to play. It is fantastic at 4, which is why I mention it.

It is insane to me that people would prefer Bang! to Avalon. Why, oh why?

Also, don't miss out on Two Rooms and a Boom!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zombie homer
msg tools
designer
clydeiii wrote:

It is insane to me that people would prefer Bang! to Avalon. Why, oh why?

Precisely!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I don't "get" Bang!. The few times that I've tried it, the table played pretty conservatively. Anybody taking a shot at the Sheriff was gunned down on sight. So what happened was people just taking random shots at each other, not knowing if they were on their team, while the Sheriff built up a comfortable hand to protect themselves. Then after an hour or so of grinding away, the last guy or two either gunned down the Sheriff or, more likely, didn't.

In Shadow Hunters, there isn't an Alpha dog that is calling the shots. And you're (hopefully) not blindly gunning down your teammate(s). The private info clues you in who is for you, against you, or at least not for or against. So the gameplay is just 100x better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan

Dallas, Tx
msg tools
mbmb
Nice post!

Quote:
I'm not sure if it was because we all played Bang!, but SH was a breeze to teach. Everyone got the mechanics in 5 mins, I did a brief intro of the characters, and we got started.

Shadow Hunters is just a very easy and quick game to teach people due to how simple the rules are. It only took me 5 minutes to teach it as well to people who hadn't played "Bang".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.