Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin Smith
United Kingdom
Pimlico
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you planning to do one of your excellent review / breakdowns for this expansion ? Your in depth reviews of the base set / FA are a great resource and really good reading.

I'm relying on everyone else to thumb this up and put on the pressure devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Haha... Seeing as Salty was one of the playtesters for this expansion, that review/breakdown might be a little biased this time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Smith
United Kingdom
Pimlico
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
Haha... Seeing as Salty was one of the playtesters for this expansion, that review/breakdown might be a little biased this time.

Aha - really ? That's amazing. Explains why this expansion is going down so well.

Maybe you could do one Chris ? Or have you gone to the dark side too ? devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
Yeah, same reason I didn't do one for the Yellow Sign. I think CotW is great, and I don't take credit for its quality - it's good because of really strong and innovative scenario design, we just patched bugs to make sure that setting innocent people on fire wouldn't be a legitimate strategy, and balance testing is the one place where I feel like it could have been improved (scaling down the Mind's Veil for smaller investigator teams really could have been done better) - but it's still too hard to write a review and be unbiased and/or avoid coming across as self-congratulatory.

This probably won't be an obstacle for any future expansions that may or may not be released (don't take that as a nudge-nudge-wink-wink hint in either direction, I have no access to such information) - the only member of my gaming group who actually owns Mansions has vanished off the face of the earth, and since the rest of us aren't in a position where buying a new copy makes sense, we won't be playing or testing any more. Of course, I still won't be writing reviews because I won't be playing the new scenarios at all, so that's not exactly useful.

e: The breakdown is that everything is great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Zee
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
salty53 wrote:
Yeah, same reason I didn't do one for the Yellow Sign. I think CotW is great, and I don't take credit for its quality - it's good because of really strong and innovative scenario design, we just patched bugs to make sure that setting innocent people on fire wouldn't be a legitimate strategy, and balance testing is the one place where I feel like it could have been improved (scaling down the Mind's Veil for smaller investigator teams really could have been done better) - but it's still too hard to write be unbiased and/or avoid coming across as self-congratulatory.

This probably won't be an obstacle for any future expansions that may or may not be released (don't take that as a nudge-nudge-wink-wink hint in either direction, I have no information) - the only member of my gaming group who actually owns Mansions has moved away, and since the rest of us aren't in a position where buying a new copy makes sense, we won't be playing or testing any more. Of course, I still won't be writing reviews because I won't be playing the new scenarios at all, so that's not exactly useful.

I think you (and the other play-testers) are been too modest. Play-testing is extremely hard and Mansions scenarios are particularly hard to play-test. Game balance is very hard to get right as shown by the base scenarios and FA.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Stripling
United States
Lowell
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seriously, FFG should give salty complimentary copies of all MoM stuff, past and future. I'd say they owe her that! :-)
-ryanjamal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Zee
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ryanjamal wrote:
Seriously, FFG should give salty complimentary copies of all MoM stuff, past and future. I'd say they owe her that! :-)
-ryanjamal

I'd second that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
Nicola Zee wrote:
I think you (and the other play-testers) are been too modest. Play-testing is extremely hard and Mansions scenarios are particularly hard to play-test. Game balance is very hard to get right as shown by the base scenarios and FA.

We see the scenarios' balance in different ways.

You look at CotW and you see that nonsense like Summon Worshippers and Pyromaniac are gone; that it's actually possible to construct all the maps as printed; that scenarios no longer contain at least one broken objective and that each side actually has a shot; that the new investigators aren't weighed down by dud options anymore. You see the things that have gotten better.

I look at CotW and I see that the event clock scaling to player number is largely wasted on the Dunwich Horror and could have been more useful in any of the three previous scenarios; that the Mind's Veil doesn't scale well to small investigator teams; that any number of the less prominent keeper actions could have been tweaked; that the keeper's early game pressure and the flood of corpses in the Stars Aligned feels excessive, and that it is my fault, since that wasn't an issue in the prototype and became one because of what we said in testing. I see the things that could have been better.

Actually I mostly see an awesome expansion. But it does still kinda bug me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Zee
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
salty53 wrote:
Nicola Zee wrote:

We see the scenarios' balance in different ways.

You look at CotW and you see that nonsense like Summon Worshippers and Pyromaniac are gone; that it's actually possible to construct all the maps as printed; that scenarios no longer contain at least one broken objective and that each side actually has a shot; that the new investigators aren't weighed down by dud options anymore. You see the things that have gotten better.

I look at CotW and I see that the event clock scaling to player number is largely wasted on the Dunwich Horror and could have been more useful in any of the three previous scenarios; that the Mind's Veil doesn't scale well to small investigator teams; that any number of the less prominent keeper actions could have been tweaked; that the keeper's early game pressure and the flood of corpses in the Stars Aligned feels excessive, and that it is my fault, since that wasn't an issue in the prototype and became one because of what we said in testing. I see the things that could have been better...

And that's precisely what makes you a great play-tester.

My only real gripe (and it's a small one really) is what happened with the story in Dunwich Horror?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
Nicola Zee wrote:
My only real gripe (and it's a small one really) is what happened with the story in Dunwich Horror?

The story in the Dunwich Horror never really changed across the versions I saw. I'd never read the original story so I didn't know there was any issue; in fact, I asked about the Clue ?'s because I didn't understand what they were talking about, and was told it was a reference that made sense to Lovecraft fans or something of that sort, so I assumed it was a relatively loyal adaptation. Now that I've heard what happens in the Dunwich Horror story I really couldn't tell you how the scenario ties in with it.

Basically, your guess is as good as mine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
Alright, alright, I suppose I may as well.

Quote:
Thank you for your submission... This article is pending review.
Return to BoardGameGeek

Geez though, it's way harder to write about things I actually like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
Haha... Seeing as Salty was one of the playtesters for this expansion, that review/breakdown might be a little biased this time. ;)

Not a problem when it's disclosed. BGG user reviews aren't a professional outlet, and a review can be useful even if it's not impartial.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Dilloo
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
Everything is relative to perception, and your perception is limited.
badge
The Ginger Ninja
mbmbmbmbmb
I second (third? fourth?) getting Roberta back to testing, by any means necessary. Great working with you on this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.