Subject: Account Siphon theme question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Redston
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why do you get 2 credits for every credit lost? I mean, thematically, aren't you stealing from the corp's accounts? how exactly are you doubling what you still?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kroen wrote:
Why do you get 2 credits for every credit lost? I mean, thematically, aren't you stealing from the corp's accounts? how exactly are you doubling what you still?

Because as they performed the illegal operation they also managed to steal a few other people's money during the hack.

Who knows! Theme is just one of those things. I still haven't got a reasonable explanation for Midseason Replacements and Salvage

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anon Y. Mous
msg tools
mbmb
A corp credit is worth twice what a runner credit is worth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j n
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
A Corp credit is worth $smallcountry and a runner credit is worth $smallbeer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Twice
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
If anything you should wonder why the Corp's credit is only worth 2 credits. That puny Ice Wall probably cost millions to develop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
General_Norris wrote:
If anything you should wonder why the Corp's credit is only worth 2 credits. That puny Ice Wall probably cost millions to develop.

We assume a 'credit' equates to about $100K.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Owen Compton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What's even weirder is how you equate spending Runner credits on using icebreakers. In many ways I've always assumed that Runner credits represent more than just money - they also somehow represent "effort".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Micheal Keane
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Pictured: Rags Raggerson, successful businesscat
mb
The Sacred Voice wrote:
What's even weirder is how you equate spending Runner credits on using icebreakers. In many ways I've always assumed that Runner credits represent more than just money - they also somehow represent "effort".

That's why they were called "bits" in the original game; they represented some combination of money, time, favors, effort, etc.

I just rationalize it as much of the processing power for breaking ice almost instantaneously has to be offloaded to an EC2-esque service.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Pettigrew
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
General_Norris wrote:

Money Laundering has a huge markup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
The Sacred Voice wrote:
What's even weirder is how you equate spending Runner credits on using icebreakers.

That's literally burning chips in your console. You overclock em, they burn, that's cash gone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fredrik Zetterman
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
The Sacred Voice wrote:
What's even weirder is how you equate spending Runner credits on using icebreakers.

That's literally burning chips in your console. You overclock em, they burn, that's cash gone.

That's excellent flavor. I always assumed you did other things, like hiring bot nets to overload servers etc, but I like the way you explained it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Creve Coeur
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, Bank Job yields 8 credits and none are taken from the corp. My impression - for a criminal - is that someone is paying them to do it. While 2:1 is still kinda crazy, it could perhaps be worth it to a competing corporation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
astroglide wrote:
Well, Bank Job yields 8 credits and none are taken from the corp. My impression - for a criminal - is that someone is paying them to do it. While 2:1 is still kinda crazy, it could perhaps be worth it to a competing corporation.

Bank Job is stealing other people's money at no cost to the corp, account siphon is manipulating the corp's own coffers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
varthanna
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe it's the corp's 401k plan that has matched contributions by the business and the employees. So for every 1 credit you steal from the corp, you're also getting 1 from the employees' nest eggs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wood
United States
Grapevine
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zerf wrote:
Geosphere wrote:
The Sacred Voice wrote:

That's excellent flavor. I always assumed you did other things, like hiring bot nets to overload servers etc, but I like the way you explained it

I always assumed power draw for running the rig, but that makes sense. To overclock the gordian blade to a higher strength costs money to replace blown hardware

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Dilloo
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
Everything is relative to perception, and your perception is limited.
badge
The Ginger Ninja
mbmbmbmbmb
Simple: They were cooking their books.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro G.
United States
Hurst
Texas
flag msg tools
Sometimes you have to roll the hard six.
badge
I'm getting my men...
mbmbmbmbmb
Send a message to Lukas. Ask for clarification.

edit: spelling
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brodie
United States
KC
Missouri
flag msg tools
mb
xpiredsodapop wrote:
Send a messag to Lukas. Ask for clarification.

Well-played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
xpiredsodapop wrote:
Send a messag to Lukas. Ask for clarification.

Not yet, we need a couple pages of discussion followed by a couple pages of personal insults first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Moore
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
haslo wrote:
Not yet, we need a couple pages of discussion followed by a couple pages of personal insults first.

Nah, that's only if the question is explicitly answered in the rules
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Jennings
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

It could've been this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sonny A.
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tuism wrote:
Bank Job is stealing other people's money at no cost to the corp, account siphon is manipulating the corp's own coffers

I've always seen Bank Job as you're pretending to break into the Corps server, but in reality you're robbing the bank next door.

Reminds me of Die Hard 3
Spoiler (click to reveal)
where they perform acts of terror to mask that they're really robbing the federal reserve bank.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.