BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Press Releases

Subject: Presenting a project, mixing digital and physical gaming rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shaban Shaame
Switzerland
flag msg tools
Hello everyone,

I'm new to this forum I'm coming to you to ask you few question because I want to enter board game.

I'm Shaban Shaame the creator of the trading card game Moonga
The game is available on iOS and Android. It's a fantasy TCG here is a image to give you a taste of the universe.

http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2012/074/2/4/moonga___warr...

with simple rules but I wanted it with a lot of strategy involved. I wanted a game with no luck involved but only player ability to read the opponent and bluff him.
Since the beginning I designed the game to be playable with physical cards one of my dream was to see players doing tournaments in the real world. This dream was achieved as many player mostly in France are now organizing events on the game.

Since two year now we are working to bring innovation in the game experience. I want to fill the gap between physical and virtual game. If digital gaming brought a lot interesting features like, being able to play anytime with any one in the world, leaderboards, achievement etc. But we are losing the experience of being face to face with friends and spending good time.
This is why we worked to have a NFC chip in physical cards. The chip can communicate with a mobile device just by touching the card. Players can sit face to face with real cards and opening the door to a lot of amazing features like having a the game. The player can use the device to touch the card they want to play, the device can not only act as the game Judge counting the points but broadcast the game on the web, give digital rewards for the players, unlock achievements etc.

With connected cards player will be able to store in the object their memories, comment events. When a player trade by just touching the card he will have access to it's story. Every card will reveal their secrets like : what famous player owned the card, what tournament this card won, were did the card travelled in the world in which cities it have been played. The collectors will not only collect card for their value but also for their unique stories. For example the card created on our kickstarter will have a badge as the world first ever connected cards. They is no doubt that they are going to be very valuable in the future.

Our printed card prototype

At the same time we are working with university of Geneva to create a geolocated engine. The goal is to reward digitally when player player gathering on shops or events to play the game. Enabling digital cards' trade but on a defined perimeter like in the physical world.

So coming to my question

I'm looking to crowdfund this project on indiegogo to bring this prototype to the market. We need at least 75'000 € to start and ideally 150'000 € to have most feature I'm dreaming of.
I'm counting on our gamer community to give the first kickoff. Then I'm counting on technogeeks and board game fans.

My question is what are the points that could interest you guys ? What kind of backers rewards you want to see in that kind of project ?
Some rewards are

- NFC cards (connected cards)
- Artbook
- Lot of virtual stuff, cards credits etc.
- ability to create your own card (capacity)
- ability to make the illustration brief

Is participating in the creation of a game is interesting for board game fans ? What kind of rewards are the most interesting ? What would make you participate and bake ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very interesting idea.

IMO you'll be competing with a game like MtG, so as long as you can offer something better than that I'd be on board for a kickstarter/indiegogo pledge.

As far as rewards go etc, existing players of the game would be able to give you a better idea of what to offer up, than people that know pretty much nothing about the game at present.

All I'm going to suggest is ease off the MtG crazy spend issue. I'd be much more favourable towards a living card game style design.

Anyhow, good luck and let us know when you throw it up for crowd funding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved to Press Releases.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Note that there is a boardgame called Moongha Invaders. And it's getting a reprint. If you're not 100% committed to that name, you might want to reconsider.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Lee
United States
East Meadow
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How do you propose to make sure that a card that is traded/sold is still unique and has actually changed owners?

You say using NFC can show you the history of the card, but would you have to somehow manage your physical and digital inventory to show cards that are traded, and not merely connecting to show the stories behind the cards? Is there any way to access these stories without physical access to the cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaban Shaame
Switzerland
flag msg tools
Quote:
How do you propose to make sure that a card that is traded/sold is still unique and has actually changed owners?

Each card has a unique identifier. For trading one possibility is to activate the trade first the givers scan the card and right after the receiver scan the same card. By doing this the server will authorize the trade for the digital version. There are other ways like if you scan the same card two days in a row it will be considered as yours for example.

Quote:
Is there any way to access these stories without physical access to the cards?

Technically it's totally possible, you can have access to your collection based on the physical card you own. You can then share the card on facebook for example or why not allow people to make comment on the card. The comment could be visible on your collection or when the card is physically scanned.

Quote:
Note that there is a boardgame called Moongha Invaders. And it's getting a reprint. If you're not 100% committed to that name, you might want to reconsider.

Oh ouch ! Actually the game is called Moonga since 2005 it's now the reference name for all players.

Quote:
As far as rewards go etc, existing players of the game would be able to give you a better idea of what to offer up, than people that know pretty much nothing about the game at present.

Exactly this is why I came here. I already asked players and they told me digital cards matter a lot for them. But they don't care much about goodies. I wanted to ask other people who don't know Moonga yet to try to catch their attention and make them willing to pledge.
Is goodies more attractive ? Is participating on illustration creation interesting ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.