Popular Tags: [View All]
Brad Harmer-Barnes
United Kingdom
Rainham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This may be a) a newbie question, or b) opening a can or worms...but why are so many "classic" wargames stored "bookcase" style? Is there a particular reason, or is it just tradition?

Should...should I do it, too?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Arthur
Australia
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

The hideous scourge of lid dishing!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
Basically, they're easier to take down off a STORE'S shelves when they're stored vertically.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
And, you know, the Bookcase Idea.

Look a the binding like cover of the 3M games using that format - evocative of classic literature leather book covers.

The idea being these are not so much game as intellectual pursuits - something smart learned people might do.

Tradition gets my vote.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BradH wrote:
This may be a) a newbie question, or b) opening a can or worms...but why are so many "classic" wargames stored "bookcase" style? Is there a particular reason, or is it just tradition?

Storing vertically is a recipe for losing all your counters. On the other hand, you don't crush the box with other boxes.

I store horizontally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
Neopeius wrote:
BradH wrote:

Storing vertically is a recipe for losing all your counters. On the other hand, you don't crush the box with other boxes.

I store horizontally.

Storing vertically is a recipe for losing loose counters (but only when the storage and/or games get moved around). Counters in bags or counter trays that actually stay closed are just fine stored vertically.

The only time I've had loose counters is when I didn't use bags, or when I used those pathetic storage trays on which the lid did not stay in place through anything more physically tangible than faith or tape. Who was it that made those? 3W?

Storing horizontally invites more wear on the corners of the boxes, as some are pulled out of the middle of a stack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
DarrellKH wrote:
...those pathetic storage trays on which the lid did not stay in place through anything more physically tangible than faith or tape. Who was it that made those? 3W?

Avalon Hill. Their early trays are crap.

3W actually sold a great counter tray with a fitted lid and a center well that could store pencils. GDW later included the same trays in their later wargames (like their First Battle Series games).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
J.L.Robert wrote:
DarrellKH wrote:
...those pathetic storage trays on which the lid did not stay in place through anything more physically tangible than faith or tape. Who was it that made those? 3W?

3W actually sold a great counter tray with a fitted lid and a center well that could store pencils. GDW later included the same trays in their later wargames (like their First Battle Series games).

Thanks, now I remember. I think the first time I saw them, though, was in a VG game. Anyway, they were worse than useless, because they gave you reason to believe they actually kept counters organized, when nothing was further from the truth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Willcockson
United States
Washington
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Storing horizontally seems to pack the most game boxes in to the limited shelf space that I have... well an entire wall actually, but that's all I'm going to get and I'm at the point where to buy more games I'm going to have to start getting rid of others. However box dish syndrome and wear on the lids from pulling them out from the middle is a problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TomW731 wrote:
Storing horizontally seems to pack the most game boxes in to the limited shelf space that I have... well an entire wall actually, but that's all I'm going to get and I'm at the point where to buy more games I'm going to have to start getting rid of others. However box dish syndrome and wear on the lids from pulling them out from the middle is a problem.

Maybe I'm stating the obvious, but unless the shelf height is appreciably greater than the height of the average game stored vertically, it shouldn't take more room for the games to fit vertically rather than horizontally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Willcockson
United States
Washington
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just glancing at my particular shelves, the boxes stacked horizontally are using more of the space available on the shelf because I have the top of the boxes facing out and the longish body of each uses more of the depth of the shelf area. The boxes I have stacked vertically use less of the shelf depth. Usually on my shelves I can have a couple of box stacks next to each other this way with the remaining space devoted to a few vertically shelved boxes. Stacking the boxes vertically with the tops facing out wouldn't work for my shelves because not enough of the shelf height would be used that way. I have even taken to putting some of my more marginal games flat up against the wall behind the box stacks and vertically shelved boxes which is how desperate the situation has become.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
DarrellKH wrote:
J.L.Robert wrote:
DarrellKH wrote:

Thanks, now I remember. I think the first time I saw them, though, was in a VG game. Anyway, they were worse than useless, because they gave you reason to believe they actually kept counters organized, when nothing was further from the truth.

Rubber bands worked to make them somewhat usable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
DarrellKH wrote:
TomW731 wrote:

Maybe I'm stating the obvious, but unless the shelf height is appreciably greater than the height of the average game stored vertically, it shouldn't take more room for the games to fit vertically rather than horizontally.

Shelf width is a greater factor than height in terms of efficiency, methinks. I store horizontally; because my shelf is not particularly deep, I have to place my games with the long dimension facing out. I can fit just two stacks in my shelves, with the width of about half a game left over. That's wasted game space (which I fill with books).

My biggest concern for vertical storage is warping. It seems like any map, whether paper, cardstock or mounted, would begin to seriously bow and warp over time. Maybe I'm just hyper-protective, but I'd rather not find out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff K
United States
Garner
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. I find it incredibly comforting that there is a place that I can go where I can find a significant number of people whose OCD is at least as bad as mine! You guys are alright in my book!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Who knew trench warfare could be such fun?
badge
Ashwin in front of Tiger 131
mbmbmbmbmb

I stack vertically to avoid my boxes bowing. Some are horizontal but only stacked like this if

a: They are light boxes
b: I'm not really bothered about them whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
whisky_bear wrote:

My biggest concern for vertical storage is warping. It seems like any map, whether paper, cardstock or mounted, would begin to seriously bow and warp over time. Maybe I'm just hyper-protective, but I'd rather not find out.

I just pulled my 36-year-old copy of Third Reich off the shelf (where it has always been stored vertically, book-style), opened it, laid the mounted maps on the floor. Perfectly flat, not warped a bit. Beat to hell though from having been played a lot but that's a different issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mb
wifwendell wrote:
whisky_bear wrote:

I just pulled my 36-year-old copy of Third Reich off the shelf (where it has always been stored vertically, book-style), opened it, laid the mounted maps on the floor. Perfectly flat, not warped a bit. Beat to hell though from having been played a lot but that's a different issue.

I've seen nearly all my AH games get warped. Some were flat boxes
(always stored horizontal) some bookshelf (invariably stored standing).
Humidity has a lot more to do with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
calandale wrote:
wifwendell wrote:
whisky_bear wrote:

True. OTOH, my copy of Third Reich has been in Ohio, Virginia, Haiti, and Japan - all very humid places. Maybe the years in Mongolia and Australia helped!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
calandale wrote:
wifwendell wrote:
whisky_bear wrote:

Glad to be in California. It's a dry heat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mb
wifwendell wrote:
calandale wrote:
wifwendell wrote:
whisky_bear wrote:

True. OTOH, my copy of Third Reich has been in Ohio, Virginia, Haiti, and Japan - all very humid places. Maybe the years in Mongolia and Australia helped!

Mine were warping soon after I got them in say the 80's,
upstate NY. Humid, but not terrible. Once they spent time in the
basement though, it pretty much got 'em all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
calandale wrote:

Mine were warping soon after I got them in say the 80's,
upstate NY. Humid, but not terrible. Once they spent time in the
basement though, it pretty much got 'em all.

Mine have fortunately not been in a basement!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris leko
United States
Brooksville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
What's so great about it?
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a fortunate Florida resident. And every game that has a warping issue has a major one with me! I store games both ways, but prefer vertical, as it takes up a bit less shelf on my bookshelf.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pank
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Horizontally, but clearly I'm a sinner for not having put nearly as much thought into it as I should have. Time to take notes.

Spoiler (click to reveal)

Wargamer Subdomain. It's the best.

Edit: Image trouble
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Arthur
Australia
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

The worst boxed games to store were those wide flat ones that used to be used by Avalon Hill,GDW,People's Wargames etc. back in the old days...not one of mine has survived without the dreaded dishing and split sides..terrible!!...I'm pleased to see that most publshers these days seem use much better designed boxes for their games..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.