United States
Lake Forest
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I set up my new copy of Prophecy to test out the advanced rule mechanics (I had previously only played the basic rules and wanted to see the differences in action.)

I picked the Mystic character and started in the Monastery. With only one character and player, the turns went very quick. You can tell the game wasn't designed _for_ solo play, but with a little leniency when interpreting the cards it works just fine.

I concentrated on improving my Willpower over my Strength (Health). Since I wasn't racing another character around the map, I was able to take it a little more cautiously and use Battles of the Will more often. (You have to pay Willpower to initiate a Battle of the Wills against most creatures.)

The abilities Disguise and Rune of Homecoming were particularly useful. The disguise ability gives a +1 in Battles of Will against humanoids and, far more importantly, allows you to buy abilities at other guilds without having to pay gold. The Rune of Homecoming can really zip you around the map.

After raising my Willpower to 9 (the maximum is 10) and even getting a couple points of Strength, I started to take on the Astral Plane badguys. Since you have to defeat a Lesser Guardian and a Greater Guardian, I started with the two Astral Planes that I had received a prophetic vision about (one of the Chance cards that you draw every turn allows you flip over cards in the Astral Planes.)

The Astral Plane battles _are_ much tougher, but with a little luck and use of the Prayer spell (that allows rerolls), I was able to defeat the first guardians and acquire my first artifact.

The most difficult fight was against the Vampire Lord (it requires a battle of wills followed by a battle of strength) after having been weakened by a Sphinx. But with a couple of turns to rest and recover, he soon fell as well.

Before I knew it, my test had turned into a full-blown game. I finished in about 90 minutes. After starting the game just to get a chance to try out the setup rules and some of the more advanced rules, it was actually quite fun to play it this way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.