Hide
23 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Do It Yourself

Subject: 3D DIY Heroquest Scenery rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
m l
msg tools
Well, step by step we are finishing the 3D furniture for our DIY Heroquest. With Hirst Arts moulds everything goes fast and I like very much the final results. Of course, I still need to paint it!

Librairies and tables:

The whole thing:

And the rest of the pictures:

http://hastaelultimocartucho.blogspot.com.es/2013/07/escenog...

Regards,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarrett Dunn
United States
Tulsa
OK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantastic job... I've been meaning for YEARS to get me some Hirst Arts molds but never did it... I think the next time I go to spend a $100 or so on boardgames I need to sink it into molds instead.

Great job though and looking forward to seeing it all painted up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Herrick
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
If you see a bad guy, gun him down. If he's still wiggling shoot him again. There's no wiggling in the Old West!
mbmbmbmbmb
Man, I've got to agree with Jarrett there! That looks AWESOME! I keep thinking of buying some Hirst Arts molds myself, but never seem to get around to it. Guess what I need to do is sell some of my stuff on eBay and make some money to buy some molds.

Just looking at those picks makes me want to play the game, and better yet, doctor it up too!

What I really want is a fun, EASY RPG system. I can never really seem to find one that strikes the right balance. I want something that's got more variety of weapons, spells, equipment to buy and use like D&D 3.5 or the like, but that is much, much simpler to play. Closer to HeroQuest than D&D, but it's hard to find anything like that. Anyone have any suggestions?

I keep thinking that I'll just have to come up with my own system, but that's easier said than done! Seems like it would be simple enough, but the more you work on it, the more it starts to bog down. Lol, I don't want to give up on the idea of a RPG that's very easy to play and gives you tactical choices in combat without complex rules that slow it way down or make you pause to have to look up some obscure rule or other, while at the same time has a lot of things to buy, use, sell, etc. So far I've had no luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
DO NOT CLICK HERE!
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, dang. Them are pretty.

I really really like this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Holley
United States
Chattanooga
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
51% DELICIOUS!
mbmbmbmbmb
Really creative use of the Hirst molds! Especially love the shelves. Thanks for giving me some great ideas!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The neutral evil villain known as
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Ow quit it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Rottenshot Rick wrote:

What I really want is a fun, EASY RPG system. I can never really seem to find one that strikes the right balance. I want something that's got more variety of weapons, spells, equipment to buy and use like D&D 3.5 or the like, but that is much, much simpler to play. Closer to HeroQuest than D&D, but it's hard to find anything like that. Anyone have any suggestions?

Me too. I looked at raveloft, dungeon, and tomb, I just haven't found it yet either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rottenshot Rick wrote:

RPG folks: does Mouse Guard fit the bill?

For ref, here's the description from rpggeek
Join the Mouse Guard and defend the Mouse Territories against predators and dangers, in this roleplaying game for the Mouse Guard comic book series! The game is intended for all ages and levels of game-playing experience by award-winning game designer Luke Crane and is based on a simplified version of his Burning Wheel rules system (also used for the Origins Award winning RPG of 2007, Burning Empires).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Herrick
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
If you see a bad guy, gun him down. If he's still wiggling shoot him again. There's no wiggling in the Old West!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the suggestion mccrispy, I'll check it out. For me 'HeroQuest' is pretty close to being right, except it's just too simple. The Armory in the game only has like three or four weapons, armor and the like. That's just way, way too restrictive. If you fight and earn gold and items to sell you want to have stuff to spend your money on, or the money winds up not being worth anything. That's why I've tinkered with a system of my own where you have a good deal more things to spend money on. Scrolls or potions to use in emergency situations, magical items that have limited uses, and so on. Even the need to spend cash to get your equipment repaired in between adventures. That way, while you're always making money, you're also always needing to spend money. It has a purpose and you're glad when you get your hands on some. Whoops, yakking on a bit long there, sorry about that. Just wanted to let you know what I was looking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Taylor
United States
Venice
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rottenshot Rick wrote:

In Print: http://rpggeek.com/rpgitem/89939/bash-fantasy-edition

Out of Print: http://rpggeek.com/rpgfamily/21375/the-fantasy-trip-and-comp...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Taylor
United States
Venice
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rottenshot Rick wrote:
Thanks for the suggestion mccrispy, I'll check it out. For me 'HeroQuest' is pretty close to being right, except it's just too simple.

For a game that's just a smidge more complicated than HeroQuest, you might like Fighting Fantasy: http://rpggeek.com/rpgfamily/1646/fighting-fantasy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Herrick
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Michael, thanks for the info! I didn't know about these games that are similar to The Fantasy Trip. I'll look into them, but to tell the truth I've got most of the old Melee and Wizard games from Microgames. I'd just kind of forgot about them!

As I recall I'd talked about them to my friends years and years ago when trying to come up with a simpler system, but they didn't seem to be too interested. I think they thought it might be too cumbersome with having flanking and rear attacks, dropping weapons, etc., so I didn't push it. I think if I read through the rules again and have them try a mock battle they might just wind up liking it. I'll have to give it a shot as I really liked it myself.

I have to admit that I don't remember being real crazy about how the magic system worked however, but it's been so long that I don't recall it very well now. Still, even if I have to come up with a different magic system, I think the combat system would be about perfect. I just might want to add some more equipment to purchase and the like. I've even got all the old solitaire adventures to play. I know I started the first one, Death Test, but I never finished it. Now that I'm talking about it I want to give it a go again!

One last question, that's totally off the subject if I may. I used to know how to do this but I've forgotten now, how do you quote someone elses comments in your replies? I'll see people who have box of quotes from more than one posting in a forum and then answer each one, but I can't remember how to pull that off? Can you tell me how you do that? Thanks much! Rick

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Taylor
United States
Venice
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rottenshot Rick wrote:
One last question, that's totally off the subject if I may. I used to know how to do this but I've forgotten now, how do you quote someone elses comments in your replies? I'll see people who have box of quotes from more than one posting in a forum and then answer each one, but I can't remember how to pull that off? Can you tell me how you do that? Thanks much! Rick

I just hit the 'QuickQuote' link!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Herrick
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeeze I feel like such an idiot. Thanks Michael!
cauldronofevil wrote:

I just hit the 'QuickQuote' link!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
m l
msg tools
Just an update with all the furniture painted:

The two complete sets

Libraries and wardrobe

I hope you enjoy it.You can see more pictures athttp://hastaelultimocartucho.blogspot.com.es/2013/07/escenog...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Herrick
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dang that looks great! Really makes me want to do some fantasy gaming!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arek D.
Germany
Münster
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rottenshot Rick wrote:

I wonder why so many people do not mention (or even know of) Warhammer Quest?
Basically, it's still a dungeon crawler like Heroquest (it does even take place in the same setting!), but the rulebook offers some options so you can play it as a light RPG.
The downside: it's OOP, and while you can still pick a copy here and there, they normally fetch a pretty high price.
However, if you really love Heroquest and want some additional roleplaying elements added, I can't think of a better game than this little gem.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that there will be a re-release of it in the next few years.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Morcars Jester wrote:

Probably largely 'cause there aren't so many copies of it floating around, I don't think they produced so many copies as there are of Heroquest! On top of that, it was largely advertised to people who were already involved with "the Games Workshop hobby" - I don't remember seeing it advertised anywhere other than White Dwarf. On top of that, I get the impression that GW gamers are more likely to have split the game up to use the minis for something else than the kind of people who would have bought Heroquest the first time around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Herrick
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Morcars Jester wrote:
Rottenshot Rick wrote:

Basically, it's still a dungeon crawler like Heroquest (it does even take place in the same setting!), but the rulebook offers some options so you can play it as a light RPG.
The downside: it's OOP, and while you can still pick a copy here and there, they normally fetch a pretty high price.
However, if you really love Heroquest and want some additional roleplaying elements added, I can't think of a better game than this little gem.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that there will be a re-release of it in the next few years.

To tell the truth, Arek, I HAD Warhammer Quest up until this last fall and then a BGG'er contacted me and offered me $300.00 for it. It was still in the shrinkwrap. As much as I wanted to keep it I just couldn't say no to that much money. So I don't have it to play now, but it's my own fault I don't. I did get quite a few other games with the money, though, so it all balances out I guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arek D.
Germany
Münster
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bichatse wrote:
Morcars Jester wrote:

Probably largely 'cause there aren't so many copies of it floating around, I don't think they produced so many copies as there are of Heroquest! On top of that, it was largely advertised to people who were already involved with "the Games Workshop hobby" - I don't remember seeing it advertised anywhere other than White Dwarf. On top of that, I get the impression that GW gamers are more likely to have split the game up to use the minis for something else than the kind of people who would have bought Heroquest the first time around.

Yes, I have to concur, the advertising was pretty poor, especially here in Germany, 'cause there was none at all!
Even so, I thought Warhammer Quest would be a bit more popular through word of mouth advertising by now, at least among those who love to play dungeoncrawlers like Heroquest (since there are only a handful of decent dungeoncrawlers out there, IMHO).

I don't know if that many people split the game up though, but I find it hard to imagine, since there weren't that many minis per faction included (and all of them looked the same anyway). No comparison to the re-release of Space Hulk 3rd Ed. for example, where all of the Minis were unique -well, at least the Terminators...

Rottenshot Rick wrote:
To tell the truth, Arek, I HAD Warhammer Quest up until this last fall and then a BGG'er contacted me and offered me $300.00 for it. It was still in the shrinkwrap. As much as I wanted to keep it I just couldn't say no to that much money.

Wow, I don't really know what to say...
Probably another fine reason to hope for a re-release then!
Hm, this may be a stupid question, but do you know Advanced Heroquest ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Herrick
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Morcars Jester wrote:

Wow, I don't really know what to say...
Probably another fine reason to hope for a re-release then!
Hm, this may be a stupid question, but do you know Advanced Heroquest ?

Actually...I do. I've long debated whether I want to get rid of this game or not. It's still in the original shrinkwrap just like Warhammer Quest was. I keep going back and forth on it. Then I put it away and don't think about it again for a year or so and repeat the whole thing. If you want to know how I came by these two games I'll post the link to the story I wrote about how I got them. I got quite a few replies on it when I posted it. Here's the link...

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/128952/requiem-for-the-store...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Taylor
United States
Venice
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rottenshot Rick wrote:
Actually...I do. I've long debated whether I want to get rid of this game or not.

I'd be interested in Advanced HeroQuest myself, but I doubt I have that kind of money! cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arek D.
Germany
Münster
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rottenshot Rick wrote:
I've long debated whether I want to get rid of this game or not. It's still in the original shrinkwrap just like Warhammer Quest was. I keep going back and forth on it. Then I put it away and don't think about it again for a year or so and repeat the whole thing. If you want to know how I came by these two games I'll post the link to the story I wrote about how I got them. I got quite a few replies on it when I posted it. Here's the link...

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/128952/requiem-for-the-store...

Thanks for the link, that was an interesting story!

And a tough call you're facing there.
I mean, Advanced Heroquest adds a lot of interesting elements to the goodness of Heroquest, but I'm not so sure if it qualifies as the light RPG you're looking for.
And since your copy is still shrinkwrapped, it might bring you a pretty penny...
I really don't know if you should keep it or not.
Maybe you know someone who has a copy of it as well so you can play a few games to see if it's for you?
I'm sorry that I'm of no help here...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Herrick
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cauldronofevil wrote:
Rottenshot Rick wrote:
Actually...I do. I've long debated whether I want to get rid of this game or not.

I'd be interested in Advanced HeroQuest myself, but I doubt I have that kind of money! cry

Lol, Yeah I know what you mean. I'd be in the same boat if I was looking for the game and didn't have it already.

Rottenshot Rick wrote:

Morcars Jester wrote:
Thanks for the link, that was an interesting story!

And a tough call you're facing there.
I mean, Advanced Heroquest adds a lot of interesting elements to the goodness of Heroquest, but I'm not so sure if it qualifies as the light RPG you're looking for.
And since your copy is still shrinkwrapped, it might bring you a pretty penny...
I really don't know if you should keep it or not.
Maybe you know someone who has a copy of it as well so you can play a few games to see if it's for you?
I'm sorry that I'm of no help here...

Yeah, I hear you. That's the problem. I don't know of anyone who does have a copy and if I want to look mine over I've got to tear the shrinkwrap off which brings down a lot of the potential value of the game. That's the only problem with having something that you want to play, but could also be worth some money. At some point you have to decide that you have more interest in playing it or you can't pass up the money that it'll bring and let it go. I finally came to the later decision with Warhammer Quest a few months ago. Now I just need to make up my mind about Advanced HeroQuest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.