Hide
15 Posts

Arkham Horror» Forums » General

Subject: Is this a good 2 player game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jcgonzmo 84
msg tools
This game looks interesting. Is it good for two players? Not that hard to get hang of it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
My job is not the day shift or the night shift, it's the always shift!
badge
I will chop your head off!
mbmbmbmbmb
It takes a little while to get the hang of it, but after you've gotten a couple of games down, you should be fine.

Two player works really well. It actually gets quite a bit more difficult when you play with less people/characters. With that amount you're almost guaranteed to have to face whoever you choose as the Elder God, which makes for a much more challenging game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Brennan
United States
Morris Plains
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a bit of a learning curve. Two players playing one investigator each makes for a tough game. You can have two players play two investigators each. Just remember to calculate all game effects as if there were four players, rather than two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I second Jay's suggestion for 2 investigators each. Four investigators seems like the sweet spot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Swan Bones
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say that, as games go, it is not easy to get hang of. By this I mean turning a gaming session into a fluid process. Even after a number of games we occasionally dropped the ball on rules. It's a very rewarding game in the long term IMHO and I really enjoy it as a two-player (4 investigator) experience, but you need to invest time into it, learning the thing, keeping the rules fresh in your mind and, indeed, setting it up and running a game is far more demanding than your average two-player experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Executive Bear
United States
Montana
flag msg tools
Wildcard, bitches! Yee-haw!
badge
I'm gonna start dropping F-bombs. Listen to this: Fart you, fart head.
mbmbmbmbmb
No it's not a good two player game, it's an excellent two player game!! Also an excellent solo game as well as a bigger group

Edit: however you play it 4 investigators is the way to go!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Wiggins
United States
Kingwood
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Uh! It's this darn dice tower!
mbmbmbmbmb
I second that this is a great two player game. Is it easy to get the hang of? Yes and no. The general mechanics are simple enough. You adjust your stats, you move X spaces, you fight monsters in the way, you do (or don't) have an encounter in the location you end up at, you read a card for new monsters and game effects, repeat. The phases are nicely divided and getting them down is not hard.

What's H-A-R-D are the little situational things that come up. I just returned from a gate and a monster is there, do I fight it? The answer almost 100% of the time lies in the Phases. Monster fighting happens in the Movement phase, so only during the next Movement phase, if the monster is still there, would I have to fight it. Unless of course it was a monster drawn by an encounter card, in which case you fight it immediately! In the latter case, the fight happens to take place during an Encounter phase. This is one example of many.

So the basics are pretty simple, but trust me, you WILL goof up the rules. If you are the type to get angry that you can't get the rules perfect 100% of the time, you might want to pass. haha But, if you can enjoy games as potential learning experiences, I say go for it. Arkham is definitely a 10 in our home!

Edit: I said "The answer almost 100% of the time lies in the Phases", but I can't think of a situation off-hand that isn't answered this way. Perhaps I'm just forgetting something? ...thought of something. What can I trade with other players and when? I always have to look that one up! haha
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sherlock
United States
Anaheim Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
Admin @ www.cigargeeks.com
mbmbmbmbmb
My girlfriend and I play it often as a 2-player. We each play 2 investigators. It works very well that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Crowell

Urbana
Illinois
msg tools
My wife & I play with 1 investigator each, & it works fine with a couple of caveats: (1) we either choose our investigators or pick randomly from a subset of ones we like, and (2) we house-rule the Rumor cards (which give you a certain amount of time to accomplish some task or something bad happens) to make them easier (the Rumor cards don't scale at all for number of players).

And we usually win by sealing gates, not by final battle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PAUL JOHNSON
United Kingdom
HIGH WYCOMBE
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
mb
Yes it's a fantastic game for two players.
I would also play two investigators each.
You'll have many many hours of fun with it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyson Fultz
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This is what I've been doing as well when playing with my grandson.

Learning the game and having to keep track of 2 investigators each is tough.

We've managed to win our 2 last games by sealing 6 gates but we have had to nerf the rumor cards a bit as they are way too overpowered against 2 investigators
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Flames
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a 2 player game a few weeks ago, and we played with two investigators each. It was one of the most satisfying games I had ever played. So yes, this is a great two player game. IMHO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob T
United States
Mantua (near Woodbury)
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jcgonzmo wrote:
This game looks interesting. Is it good for two players? Not that hard to get hang of it?

1) Awseome for 2 players! (Awesome for 1, 3, or 4 players too!)

2) Extremely hard to get the hang of it at first. There's about 100 threads in the Forums that help, and plenty of stuff to help you wade thru the poorly-written rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thoth Amon wrote:
2) Extremely hard to get the hang of it at first. There's about 100 threads in the Forums that help, and plenty of stuff to help you wade thru the poorly-written rulebook.
Don't worry about any of that, there's also a great community here that will support you. Do yourself a favour and try a quick search of the appropriate forum (usually the Rules forum for the game or expansion) first, but if you don't find an answer in a couple of minutes then post a question and I can pretty much guarantee that you'll get a response within the hour.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Asher
United States
Jefferson
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you find keeping track of 2 investigators a lot to handle (as I do and probably will until I get quite a few more plays in), you can 2 player with "dobule turns." Middle Earth Quest handles 2 player in this way. Basically, just do the Mythos phase every other round. You handle everything else in the game (monster limits, etc.) as if there were 4 players.

I actually think this is still slightly harder than a regular 4 player game, because even with double turns you can cover less ground and spread pain around less with only 2 characters on the board, so to make it a little easier on us we use the game settings for 3 players.

So basically, 2 players, 1 character each, Mythos phase every OTHER round, and game settings for 3 characters.

When you get to the Great Old One battle, you can go back to regular 2 player rules (2 successes to remove doom token).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.