On the Edge» Forums » Variants

Subject: On The Edge - Cube Format rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Hargreaves
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have had an item on my Todo list for some time... Build an On The Edge Cube draft set.

For those not familiar with cube (?) -

Cube Draft is a booster draft variant in which the pool of cards is a predetermined set of cards chosen for the purpose of drafting them. The pool of cards is known as a Cube and usually contains a minimum of 360 cards to accommodate an eight-player booster draft. The cards used in a Cube are usually unique so that no card appears more than once in a draft. Typically, the card pool is an amalgamation of powerful cards from throughout the history of Magic, although the card pool can be whatever theme is desired.

-

A few questions come straight to mind.

What objections would come up for this a s a format?

Has drafting OTE worked in any formats in the past?

Would Singleton work? Or would the Cube have to allow multiples of some cards?

Clearly the basic resources would have to be provided in the same way that basic land is separate from the draft pool.

Do you feel any other allowances would be needed?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
dawntrader wrote:
I have had an item on my Todo list for some time... Build an On The Edge Cube draft set.

OnTE is better suited to draft play than Magic. In OnTE, the equivalent of land cards are Resources. In Magic terms, they provide 1 colorless mana and 1 mana of a color. All cards cost only colorless mana, but you may apply colored mana too if the card's color matches the mana's color - that is Astral Wisdom Resource in OnTE makes 1 Pull, +1 Astral only Pull. If you are buying an Astral card, you can afford a cost of 2 with one Astral Wisdom. If you are buying a card that is not Astral, you still have 1 Pull for that.

Quote:
What objections would come up for this as a format?

None. Remember, OnTE is best at 4 players. Tolerable at 3 or 5. Almost unplayable at 2.

You'll need a cube in ratios matching what I outlined in my thread on Deck Building Basics. That is;

8 Pullers
4 Hitters
4 Blockers
4 Specials
12 Other cards
8 Resource

Which is, simplified, 2:1:1:1:3 ... I think I'd be tempted to leave out the Resources and just let people have whichever they wanted among the basic Pull generators. Note that Resource cards that do not generate Pull would be in the Other cards section.

4 players need to draft about 50% more than a deck of cards, which is 40 cards per player, 32 if using 8 Resources. So, we're looking at 42 to 48 cards per player in the cube - a total of about 176 cards in the cube, perhaps.

Quote:
Has drafting OTE worked in any formats in the past?

Yes. I've run events like that. Also, there was a popular format called Omni League, which was building a deck from a sealed starter (40 of 60 cards) and playing for ante.

Quote:
Would Singleton work? Or would the Cube have to allow multiples of some cards?

No. You would need multiples. I would want to see most Personalities in at least 2 copies, with 3 for some of the basic utility characters. Many of the utility Other cards, like Blackmail, Gang A'Gley, Kidnap, and so on should be in there 3+ times too.

Quote:
Clearly the basic resources would have to be provided in the same way that basic land is separate from the draft pool.

You don't have to. You could draft Resources too if you wanted. It just makes the drafting harder and longer. Magic just wimps out and skips that part, mostly because boosters don't include enough land. So, the tradition is to not include land.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hargreaves
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Great response... I'll read your deck building post and get back to you when I get a few minutes to look further into this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy York
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
I was just looking at a cube I built a few years ago and was just dusting off to perhaps play this weekend.

I might still have some of the spreadsheets for it, I'll have to look. If I get a chance to play it with some folks I'll put some notes here.

A few things I remember thinking about when assembling it:
* Rarity doesn't equal power. I tried to organize the mix more around balancing the power of the cards, than the rarity
* Duplicate characters make things interesting, don't just go for a one-of-each approach
* I classified the characters according to pullers, defenders, hitters; and then tried to spread those out in the "packs"
* I picked some of the whammies to have plenty of them in order to make gameplay interactive
* I put together bundles of resources separately, typically no more than three of any kind, so that you could build some but not too much efficiency.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.