Hide
14 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Am I looking it from the wrong perspective? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jcgonzmo 84
msg tools
When I buy a videogame, this is what I do. I read a review and decide to buy it. If the game have multiplayer, good. If not I dont care, I play it solo. Hence, I dont care if it is hard to play or not at all. When I buy a boardgame is quite difficult. First I see the review. Then I have to see how many players can play the game. Usually it says from 1 to whatever number. That is not true. Even though 2 could play, sometime it sucks for certain games. That game was designed for 4 or more. Then after researching how many players, I have to see if the game is complex to TEACH others. If its to light, the game will bore people fast. If it is too hard, no one will play it. It is annoying because I see so many cool games, but they were not meant to be play by 2, or are really hard to TEACH others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Boardgaming, unlike most of videogaming, is a social hobby (unless you strictly play solo games). So yes, you must always consider your group(s) when considering a new purchase. I'm a social guy. I thrive on social interaction with my friends and family, and in my games. So this doesn't bother me. I find joy in searching out a game that will work for all the people I game with. For me, it's a big part of the satisfaction I get from the hobby.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
I try to always buy games that'll get played. Buying games because they've got great reviews but that you won't get to the table is pointless. For me your group needs to define the games you buy.

I'm largely a casual gamer due to playing with friends who I've converted rather than hard core gamers. I'm sure a time will come when I join a more committed gaming group but for now I don't really have the time and want to spent what spare time I've got with my lover and friends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Debije
Netherlands
Eindhoven
The Netherlands
flag msg tools
I buy games I want: I am not buying for other people. I don't mind waiting a decade to get a game to the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Koppang
United States
Westmont
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"It's a magical world, Hobbes, ol' buddy..."
badge
"For the listener, who listens in the snow, and, nothing himself, beholds nothing that is not there and the nothing that is." -- Wallace Stevens
mbmbmbmbmb
Shane nailed it. I'll add that, with video games, you know you'll get to play it right away because most video games are single player, or have a single player mode. The only one you need to please is yourself. Boardgames, on the other hand, must be enjoyed with others. If you can't convey your enthusiasm for a game to others, then it will sit on your shelf. It does help if you have a regular boardgame group with open-minded players. I can typically get any game played at least once if I bring it to boardgame night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcos Romero
United States
Jacksonville
FL -
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My recommendation would be two-fold.

1. You have to figure out who you're going to game with. What games are they going to play with you? Are they ready to jump into TI3, or is Ticket To Ride going to push the envelope for them? It's all about who you are going to play with. For instance, I really like Android: Netrunner but none of my group wants to get involved, so I'll probably end up selling it.

2. Find a group that has a range of games to play. I have a pretty large meetup group in my area that has a ton of different games. There are pretty much boardgame get togethers every night of the week if you're looking. Look in your FLGS see if they have any game nights scheduled. Find other gamers that can teach you games, it's MUCH easier to learn a game when learning from experienced players. We unfortunately had to learn almost all of our games the hard way, by reading a manual.

Good Luck, and good gaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zombie homer
msg tools
designer
I think it's VERY important to consider if the game is too difficult to teach or does not appeal to your group, especially if they are non-gamers.

Unless you have others among your group that's also here at BGG, the burden is on you my friend!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
The question is:

Has it been working for YOU?

If not, change perspective.
If it has, then it's right for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Walker
Netherlands
Hilversum
flag msg tools
badge
what the chit!?
mbmbmbmbmb
When I buy a bike I read reviews, worry about the gears, how light it is, what type of riding I will do...

...but when I buy a car I read reviews and need to think about a whole host of matters like the engine, styling, how comfortable people in the back seat will be...

I think you are comparing some apples and oranges here
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gerwalker wrote:
When I buy a bike I read reviews, worry about the gears, how light it is, what type of riding I will do...

...but when I buy a car I read reviews and need to think about a whole host of matters like the engine, styling, how comfortable people in the back seat will be...

I think you are comparing some apples and oranges here

Interesting. I think of a lot more things than you do when I buy a bike. In fact, I might think of more things when I buy a bike than when I buy a car. I love bikes. I love cycling. I like buying bikes. I don't like buying cars. A car is just a thing that takes me somewhere.

Heck, when I started buying board games I thought of a whole lot less than I do now. Most my friends would probably think I'm crazy if they knew the number of things I consider when making my game purchases.

So it's really more about how passionate one is over something, which is a big part of that person's perspective.

I don't think it's fair to say he shouldn't compare the two buying processes. If he thinks it's a good comparison, than it is...for him.

On a side note, what was ever wrong with comparing apples and oranges? Just sayin'. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Walker
Netherlands
Hilversum
flag msg tools
badge
what the chit!?
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I don't think it's fair to say he shouldn't compare the two buying processes. If he thinks it's a good comparison, than it is...for him.

Shane - did you miss the subject line? The OP is directly asking for opinions. I was simply trying to provide an analogy to illustrate my point that buying games vs. video games should be evaluated using different set of criteria. Just because both are games does not mean they should be looked at in the same light....just as you wouldn't use the same criteria when buying a bike vs car because they are both methods of transport.

Quote:
I think of a lot more things than you do when I buy a bike.

Ohhhh Lordy...you thought I was providing an exhaustive list? Perhaps I am giving you too much credit by even responding to your reply.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
july mjj
Philippines
Cebu City
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the main criteria for me in buying board games is "will it ever get played with my group?". so many games i want to buy (the only buyer in the group as of the moment) but i doubt i will ever get played with so they just end up as wishful thinking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gerwalker wrote:
thedacker wrote:

Shane - did you miss the subject line? The OP is directly asking for opinions. I was simply trying to provide an analogy to illustrate my point that buying games vs. video games should be evaluated using different set of criteria. Just because both are games does not mean they should be looked at in the same light....just as you wouldn't use the same criteria when buying a bike vs car because they are both methods of transport.

After reading this. I actually think we're saying something pretty similar to the same thing. Sorry if I misunderstood what you were saying in the first go. I simply shared my own opinions based on the impression I got from your first comment.

gerwalker wrote:
thedacker wrote:
I think of a lot more things than you do when I buy a bike.

Ohhhh Lordy...you thought I was providing an exhaustive list? Perhaps I am giving you too much credit by even responding to your reply.

This comment comes across condescending to me. Let's not be that way, please. We're talking about games. Happiness and kindness should abound.

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Best thing to do is get specific games for different groups or certain occasions. I buy games with these criteria in mind: solo, co-op, one on one, with a group. Some games will cross over but it helps to keep in mind why situation you are trying to fulfill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.