Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
nate ben-porat
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
i played with all my friends Diplomacy, Ttd and most of them also played carcassone, TtR and Nexus Ops. i wanted to ask if you think they could handel aGoT? all the games i taught them they got very fast and aGoT look like a wonderful game that i would love to play but i still think it just might be little too complicated for them... i would love to hear what you all think.

thanks a lot,
nate

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: do you think my friends arre ready for aGoT
Hi Nate,

I don't think that A Game of Thrones would be too complicated for them if they were able to pick up all those games you mentioned so far. I think Game of Thrones is an outstanding 5-player game (although not nearly as good with fewer players) that blends some of Diplomacy's charm into a slightly more involved/rules-intensive experience. If you've read the book, the game is even more fun because you can talk about the House character cards people are playing in a little more detail.

The best way to find out if they'll be able handle it is to print out the PDF of the rules available here on BGG and have them read it, or read it yourself and try explaining it to them. Obviously it'll be even easier to understand with the board and pieces in front of them, so maybe don't do all the details, but try to explain the game or have them read the rules, and you'll get a sense for if it'll work.

It may take one play to really understand what's going on, but I think it's worth the effort (as long as you don't get all four or five of the Supply cards before any Mustering cards, boy was that a weird game).

Anyway, the rules are available at:

http://files.boardgamegeek.com/viewfile.php3?fileid=3730

meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nate ben-porat
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Thommy8 wrote:
Hi Nate,

I don't think that A Game of Thrones would be too complicated for them if they were able to pick up all those games you mentioned so far. I think Game of Thrones is an outstanding 5-player game (although not nearly as good with fewer players) that blends some of Diplomacy's charm into a slightly more involved/rules-intensive experience. If you've read the book, the game is even more fun because you can talk about the House character cards people are playing in a little more detail.

The best way to find out if they'll be able handle it is to print out the PDF of the rules available here on BGG and have them read it, or read it yourself and try explaining it to them. Obviously it'll be even easier to understand with the board and pieces in front of them, so maybe don't do all the details, but try to explain the game or have them read the rules, and you'll get a sense for if it'll work.

It may take one play to really understand what's going on, but I think it's worth the effort (as long as you don't get all four or five of the Supply cards before any Mustering cards, boy was that a weird game).

Anyway, the rules are available at:

http://files.boardgamegeek.com/viewfile.php3?fileid=3730

meeple

the problem is they don't read english but i explained it briefly and say sound it sounds great, thanks for answering tom!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, I didn't realize your friends don't read English. I guess you'll have to read through the PDF then and try to explain it to them, bearing in mind that it'll be easier if/when you get the actual game. If I recall correctly, the game itself is language independent without much English on the pieces, except for the Westeros cards, and you can just tell them what each of those does ( and maybe lie a little about the text on the cards when it suits your plans sauron ).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think it is really worth your while, there are much better games out there. It is also a bit of a problem not knowing English, because the combat system relies on simultaneous play of cards which have text on them (not on all the cards, but a fair number). Because your opponent shouldn't know which card you're playing, asking for a translation is a bit of a problem.

Also if they haven't read the books it might seem a bit abstract to them...

The Westeros cards are also in English but they are public knowledge so not such an issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd forgotten about the text on the House cards (in addition to the Westeros cards), and just remembered the big sword/tower symbols, but I still think it's an excellent game, and definitely worth the trouble of teaching/learning/translating (especially if you have exactly 5 people). It's a really fun, engaging game that you can really get into (as long as you have enough time). I like the simultaneous action selection, the difficult choices of what actions to choose, the map and the advantages/disadvantages of playing as each different power, the combat system, the iron throne/fiefdom/raven power tracks with auction, etc. It's not for everyone, but is certainly worth checking out to see if it's for you. It also certainly doesn't hurt that I really enjoy the books too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nate ben-porat
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Philip Thomas wrote:
I don't think it is really worth your while, there are much better games out there. It is also a bit of a problem not knowing English, because the combat system relies on simultaneous play of cards which have text on them (not on all the cards, but a fair number). Because your opponent shouldn't know which card you're playing, asking for a translation is a bit of a problem.

Also if they haven't read the books it might seem a bit abstract to them...

The Westeros cards are also in English but they are public knowledge so not such an issue.

well my friends do know english, they leard it 5 years now, it just that they can't read a lot becuase they need to concetrate. i been in the USA for a year so it's less a problem to me. my friends got much more then fine with nexus ops that has cards the require reading (although i guess not as hard as aGoT), so i don't think that would be a big problem. and by the way i read the books and LOVED them. my top favorite books so far. this is why i'm so exited about this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Christopher
United States
Salem
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
In the wonderful game, Bonaparte at Marengo, this is how to get nasty Frenchies out of a village.
mbmbmbmbmb
freezing chicken wrote:
well my friends do know english, they leard it 5 years now, it just that they can't read a lot becuase they need to concetrate. i been in the USA for a year so it's less a problem to me. my friends got much more then fine with nexus ops that has cards the require reading (although i guess not as hard as aGoT), so i don't think that would be a big problem. and by the way i read the books and LOVED them. my top favorite books so far. this is why i'm so exited about this game.

Well, if your friends liked Diplomacy, won't mind having to read the cards, and you enjoyed the books, I'd say take a chance on the game. Certainly read the rules online first to make sure you don't see anything that'll turn you off, but it sounds as though you'll have fun with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Hasegawa
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd have to say you have the right crowd for this fantastic game. And its ok that they don't read english really well - the rules make the game sound so much more complicated than they need to. Given the big rulebook, we found the game to be pretty straight forward once we got going and wondered why they hadn't made things simpler in the rules.

And yes, the flavor of the game is great if you've read the books, but it doesn't take away from the gameplay if you haven't (although some events will not make tons of sense to people).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nate ben-porat
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
markus_kt wrote:
freezing chicken wrote:

Well, if your friends liked Diplomacy, won't mind having to read the cards, and you enjoyed the books, I'd say take a chance on the game. Certainly read the rules online first to make sure you don't see anything that'll turn you off, but it sounds as though you'll have fun with it.

i already read the rules on the web (yup, i'm lifeless shake) and got exited about it. it does seem very familiar to diplomacy with the supporting, reatriting, doing actions together and of course DIPLOMACY.

thanks everybody, i think i'll buy it after making sure my friends say it sounds good.

thanks,
nate

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Hall
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
What language do your friends speak, as a first language, Nate? I believe AGOT has been published in several non-English languages, so you may be able to by a translated version.

Even without that, translating the house cards shouldn't be a big issue. There are only 15 house cards with text on them (more with the expansion). If you sleeve the cards, you could even slip a little bit of paper with the translated text into each sleeve. Of course, you can do the same for the Westeros cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nate ben-porat
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Wraith wrote:
What language do your friends speak, as a first language, Nate? I believe AGOT has been published in several non-English languages, so you may be able to by a translated version.

Even without that, translating the house cards shouldn't be a big issue. There are only 15 house cards with text on them (more with the expansion). If you sleeve the cards, you could even slip a little bit of paper with the translated text into each sleeve. Of course, you can do the same for the Westeros cards.

we talk here hebrew. i doubt very much if someone published it in hebrew. in israel, unfortunetly, people don't play much boardgames ( cry ), actually there is only one store here that sells boardgames, yet, it's collection is pretty small. anyway as i said i don't think the english is what will be a problem here.

(other subject): i told little more about the game to my friends. they seem to all think it's good but now we worry about how long it is ( there are always troubles soblue ). when reading some comments i saw that most of the people are saying that it takes about 2.5 - 3 hours after first game. i just wanted to ask if that really true? that is that time we'll have each time we meet so if it takes for example 4.5 we might skip on that game (i'm talking about usuall games not somthing special). i'm aware that the first mabye even second game might be longer but if we'll like that game like we love diplomacy we'll play it a lot. i thought of making about 15 minutes limit a turn if we'll play. i know it's nothing but if we want get things moving i must put limit. with diplomacy each turn takes on best case 30 minuts. what do you all think? is there any chance that that limits will hold? if we'll try to play the game fast could we play it in 3 hours?

thanks again,
nate

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Hall
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
freezing chicken wrote:
we talk here hebrew. i doubt very much if someone published it in hebrew.

No, I don't believe AGOT has been published in Hebrew. Oh well, you can just use some small sleeve inserts, as I mentioned.

Quote:
when reading some comments i saw that most of the people are saying that it takes about 2.5 - 3 hours after first game. i just wanted to ask if that really true? that is that time we'll have each time we meet so if it takes for example 4.5 we might skip on that game

AGOT is a longer game. I won't pull it out unless the group has at least three hours to devote to the game. Sometimes, it is a lot faster (I had one game that lasted about 30 minutes) but you can't count on that. Under two hours is unusual. If the game goes the full ten turns, it can take four hours or even longer, depending on the speed of play.

Quote:
with diplomacy each turn takes on best case 30 minuts.

Yes, I know Diplomacy well. 15 minutes to talk, 5 minutes to write orders, as long as it takes to resolve (but a decent player can resolve a board in under 2 minutes). Double the talking time on turn 1. Then you save a few minutes every now and then because you don't always need to go to the limits, and lose a little between phases.

Even so, I'm surprised you play Diplomacy in a 2.5 hour slot. Using the standard time allocation, you are only looking at five years of play there, if you are lucky.

Anyway, back to AGOT... If you play fast, you can probably complete most games in 2.5 hours, but you might have to be prepared to pause a game mid-way sometimes and complete it the next session. An AGOT board isn't so complex that you can't write down the board position and set it up to finish next time. (Some players play by email, which requires recording the board position.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've got an 808 and a 303 and a record collection like the ABC
mbmbmb
Nate, a good thing to do if you buy the game is to play through a few games by yourself before you get your friends involved. Then you'll know what sort of situations come up in the game and you will be ready for their questions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.