BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: looking for deep game that escalates from 2 to6-7 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fernando Berdichevsky
Argentina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My group is a heavy gaming one. we try everything at least once and appreciate light, intermediate and heavy games.

My complete group is composed by about 8 or 9 people. I attend to every meeting we have, but the total showing up varies tremendously from one meeting to another. So, what I´m looking for is a Great game (no matter the mechanics or the complexity, just got to be FUN!) that escalates and stay balanced from 2-3 to 6-7 (8 is almost imposible)

To help you advice me I can tell my collection has several games but I try to get new mechanics and new themes every time I make a purchase.

we play from love letters and Avalon:TR, to Agricola or Caylus.
co-ops, cutthroat, direct and no direct confrontation, anything will do.

Euros mostly, no wargames (for now), but a lot of everything.

My upcoming purchase includes:

King of tokio (light Fun filler)
Android Netrunner (heavier, deckbuilding for 2p)
Ticket to Ride (a classic to play with my family)
Miskatonic School for Girls (not a great game but I love the theme)
In the year of the Dragon (a classic intermediate Euro)
Seasons & Yedo (go with the Hype )

Given that, so you know my likes, I ask the BGG community to help me fill the last spot.

Edit: typos

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You are honestly better off finding something that plays well with the lower count and one for the higher count. Finding something that plays well 2 players and 6-7 is going to be rather difficult.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Berdichevsky
Argentina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know that ... and that is exactly the challenge... im sure there is a game out there that I missed.

Agricola scales well from 1 to 5
7 wonders scales well from 3 to 7 (there you go we love that one but I want something deeper)
Arkham Horror is great (another great example)

The challenge is to find one that has it all...!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Taylor
United Kingdom
Epping
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
You are honestly better off finding something that plays well with the lower count and one for the higher count. Finding something that plays well 2 players and 6-7 is going to be rather difficult.

Agreed. Although you never know, someone may come along with a great idea I haven't thought of.

RoboRally plays well at the mid to top end (4-8) and okay (if a little bland/solitairey) with 2-3. It's not what I would call heavy though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevyn Hey
United States
Alfred
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My group really enjoys Dominant Species. It plays well at 2 with each player controlling multiple teams, and scales well all the way up to 6 players (my favorite number). Unfortunately it doesn't go past 6, but all in all its one of my favorite games. Worker placement and area control mechanics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Boyll
United States
Kuna
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cosmic Encounter with the expansions to up the player count.
Not the deepest mechanically but it works well and has deep player interactions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:

In particular including the 2 player requirement is going to drastically decrease the chances on finding such a game. Games that play well with many players are often hard to make work well for 2 players.

I agree with Matt that you're better off finding games that play well for a low player count and games that play well with a higher play count rather than trying to find something that does everything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not that deep, but Indian Chief does 2-8 and only needs one or 2 decks of playing cards. (Disclaimer - I've not actually played with 8 players, but can't see any reason it wouldn't work just as well)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Core Worlds (with Galactic Orders) for 2-5 players.

Core Worlds is a deckbuilder that is not only a deckbuilder. Core Worlds combines the theme with the game mechanisms perfectly. You draft cards into your deck from a common pool, but you also have to use your limited amount of actions and growing amounts of energy to deploy troops into your warzone before they can attack and conquer the worlds that you come across. You never have quite enough resources to do what you'd like, which keeps giving you hard choices to make for the whole game. The last worlds you reach are the Core Worlds that give the most bonus points.

You always have a different game, and minor mistakes do not immediately spiral you into defeat.

The expansion Galactic Orders adds more units, worlds, and tactic cards and hard decisions in the form of events, but also ways to work around your energy and action limitations.

Cosmic Encounter (with Cosmic Incursion and Cosmic Conflict, each expansion adds one player) for 3-7 players (with Cosmic Alliance upto 8, or you can improvise ships and home planets).

The classic bluffing, scheming, chaotic negotiation game. Has great replayability because of the asymmetric alien character powers. (I haven't much played with 3 players, but is great for 4 or 5.)

If you get 5 players alot, then Battlestar Galactica (5 is optimum, 6 and 4 ok, 7 is possible with either of the current expansions or house rules).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:
Core Worlds (with Galactic Orders) for 2-5 players.

5 ≠ 6 or 7.

And while I really like Core Worlds, it's too long with 5 and possibly with 4 even.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aisur wrote:
My group really enjoys Dominant Species. It plays well at 2 with each player controlling multiple teams, and scales well all the way up to 6 players (my favorite number). Unfortunately it doesn't go past 6, but all in all its one of my favorite games. Worker placement and area control mechanics.

And pray those 6 players don't have AP issues.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Berdichevsky
Argentina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies and advices.

for those who are too strict with the topic, I´m looking for the widest range possible. 2-8 might be 3-7 or 4-8 for that matters.

a1bert wrote:

If you get 5 players alot, then Battlestar Galactica (5 is optimum, 6 and 4 ok, 7 is possible with either of the current expansions or house rules).

I´ve checked that one, but I think that I´d rather go for Shadows over Camelot. While I agree with most that BSG is better, I think the theme is more appealing for a wider audience. BSG suffers the "I didnt watch the series so I won´t like the game".

Shadows over Camelot is pretty thematic and everyone knows what you are talking about. Don´t get me wrong, I´ve watch the series and even if I didn´t I get that you don´t need to to play the game and have fun.´I just think SoC will hit the table more often than BSG.
Still, BSG is on my radar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
7 Wonders does a decent job for the 2-7 range, but you already own it. Glory to Rome does 2-5 very well and is known for such.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
And while I really like Core Worlds, it's too long with 5 and possibly with 4 even.

I thought it could be a good alternative in the 2-4p category (maybe even consider it instead of Netrunner, if the op is not specifically searching for a 2-p game).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wanted to help out but apart from those previously mentioned I don't have much to add.

Blood Bowl Team Manager might sneak in there with the expansion, but I've never played with more than 4 myself, so don't really know how well it adapts to say 6+ players (Although as long as some players don't mind scoring on paper the higher player counts are definitely workable).

Survive! Escape from Atlantis also works with 2-6 players, but it might be a little lighter than you are used to (5-6 players requires the mini 5-6 player expansion).

It's hard as most games either work better with less or more players. There are few that go both ways. Anyway, good luck on your search.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fernqn wrote:
BSG suffers the "I didnt watch the series so I won´t like the game".

Well, this is the first time I hear that, even here in BGG. It has worked perfectly for everyone that have not seen the show, and a few people have started to watch the show after playing the game.

Shadows over Camelot became old so quick for us, I hope your experience will be better than ours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nevin Longardner
United States
Westerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Test
How about Lords of Waterdeep with the upcoming expansion which will take it to six players?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dee Wongsa
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To get that kind of range, I think you need to play a co-op. Unfortunately, the co-ops I know play well from 1 to 6 players but not more than that.

Suggestions:
Arkham Horror (& Elder Sign) (can go up to 8 players but BGG says not recommended)
Flash Point Fire Rescue
Space Alert
Zombiecide
Escape: The Curse of the Temple (need Illusions expansion to play 6)

For a 7-8 people group, I bring out VivaJava The Coffee Game. It doesn't play very well under 6 players though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wings of War: Famous Aces

Best if you buy a couple copies, or a couple plane blister packs, or one of the other base sets to go with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Ossar
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are some good space-themed games that might work for you. Eclipse is a deep game that can handle 6 right out of the box, and up to 9 with the Eclipse: Rise of the Ancients expansion.

Race for the Galaxy is plenty deep, although even with all the expansions it will only play up to 6.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Berdichevsky
Argentina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:
Fernqn wrote:
BSG suffers the "I didnt watch the series so I won´t like the game".

Well, this is the first time I hear that, even here in BGG. It has worked perfectly for everyone that have not seen the show, and a few people have started to watch the show after playing the game.

Shadows over Camelot became old so quick for us, I hope your experience will be better than ours.

Actually, Tom Vassel makes that same statement in his review of SoC

on the other hand I didn´t buy any of them so far so, a slot for that kind of game is still available

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Berdichevsky
Argentina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NevoGamer wrote:
How about Lords of Waterdeep with the upcoming expansion which will take it to six players?

I own LoW and we like it a lot, but we played it too much in the recent past and we (by "we" I mean "me") are looking for something new.

Thanks anyway. in the future getting the expansion might be a good option to get it played again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 to Eclipse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Berdichevsky
Argentina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jossar wrote:
There are some good space-themed games that might work for you. Eclipse is a deep game that can handle 6 right out of the box, and up to 9 with the Eclipse: Rise of the Ancients expansion.

Race for the Galaxy is plenty deep, although even with all the expansions it will only play up to 6.

I played Eclipse and I´m afraid that, even though it is a great game, in my group it will inevitably lead to some AP.
Honestly, I don´t think I can tolerate 5 or 6 hours of Eclipse, no matter how good it is.

Race for the Galaxy is quite a good deep game, but my thoughts are that more than 4 will make it too random... (or may be thats not what I want to say... too hard too follow a strategy might be it)

EDIT: idiomatic expression. excuse my english
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHRIS HALVORSON
United States
Mill Creek
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another option is Kings of Air and Steam. It seems to fit all the requirements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.