• [+] Dice rolls
Konstantinos Thoukydidis
Luxembourg
Esch-sur-Alzette
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thomas Haas is just 1 influence and does not require a click to use OMG OMG OMG! Jinteki is so happy right now!

Also Same Old Thing is going to be just disgusting in Criminals. 6 Account Siphons or 6 Inside Jobs as required. Ugh...

EDIT: Also, quite interesting on the source, a neutral card with an influence cost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Bailey
msg tools
Am I missing something on Thomas Haas? It costs you a click and a credit to advance him. When you use him, you get your credit and an additional back. Why didn't you just use the click for a credit in the first place? Its certainly not an eco gainer. All it does is protect somewhat from Vamp and Account Siphon at the cost of a ton of clicks. I'm not really impressed. Certainly not the Account Siphon answer I was hoping for.

I guess it can kind of make sense with NBN never advance type strategies with Matrix Analyzer in front of it. Free credit and trash right before they access it to get it. But I wouldn't waste the influence for that meager effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mychal
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gokubb wrote:
Am I missing something on Thomas Haas? It costs you a click and a credit to advance him. When you use him, you get your credit and an additional back. Why didn't you just use the click for a credit in the first place? Its certainly not an eco gainer. All it does is protect somewhat from Vamp and Account Siphon at the cost of a ton of clicks. I'm not really impressed. Certainly not the Account Siphon answer I was hoping for.

That's because it's not really meant to be an Account Siphon answer, that's just an edge benefit sometimes. It's a distraction card, to make the runner waste credits trying to get into your server for what they think is an agenda, but then you trash him at the last moment for the credits. Now you've just wasted the runner's click, and created a huge swing in economy if they spent a reasonable amount trying to get in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
gokubb wrote:

1 turn: 3 clicks, play him, add 2 tokens.

next turn: 3 clicks, add 2 tokens, get back 8.

Obviously, over more turns, he amortizes his play cost.

Also, they're advancement tokens, not creds. There's other ways to get advancement tokens...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Bailey
msg tools
Its only an economy provider if you got the advancement tokens without spending the credit yourself. Otherwise you're always his 1 cost, 1 intall click behind.

I get putting him out as bait, but I'd rather use most options that are already there. Bait works best in my opinion in NBN never advance, which a card that requires advancement doesn't work with. In Jintecki, I just doubt I'd find the space. I'd much rather run Junebug or Ronin if I'm wasting clicks to fake advance something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Li
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Skylar114 wrote:

That's because it's not really meant to be an Account Siphon answer, that's just an edge benefit sometimes. It's a distraction card, to make the runner waste credits trying to get into your server for what they think is an agenda, but then you trash him at the last moment for the credits. Now you've just wasted the runner's click, and created a huge swing in economy if they spent a reasonable amount trying to get in.

Oh wow, I didn't pick up on the fact that you could rez and spend him right before the runner accesses that server. He suddenly got much better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Blumklotz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gokubb wrote:

I guess it can kind of make sense with NBN never advance type strategies with Matrix Analyzer in front of it. Free credit and trash right before they access it to get it. But I wouldn't waste the influence for that meager effect.

You are leaving out a few things in your analysis. It's another advancable card which can be used to draw the runner into making a run on a server, draining them of valuable credits and clicks.

In Jinteki (or any other corp that has advancable traps) now you have to make a decision on whether a card is an agenda, trap or econ engine. Pair it up with Simone Diego or Shipment from Kaguya and it can be a nice bit of change waiting for you.

Is it earth shatteringly good, no. But it can serve a purpose in some decks.

Frankly, I am much more interested in Minelayer and Gila Hands Arcology for Jinteki.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian Tyree
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
He's also unexpected credits.

You have 1-3 creds and the runner played Emergency Shutdown on your Neural Katana.
If they make a run on that server, Rez and trash Thomas Haas, then rez Neural Katana. They get hit with 3 net damage.

There are countless other examples.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brodie
United States
KC
Missouri
flag msg tools
mb
kriiztos wrote:
He's also unexpected credits.

You have 1-3 creds and the runner played Emergency Shutdown on your Neural Katana.
If they make a run on that server, Rez and trash Thomas Haas, then rez Neural Katana. They get hit with 3 net damage.

There are countless other examples.

Yes - he's an economically-neutral* bank. Instead of clicking to gain a credit, you click to store it and one from your pool.

* Less the click to install and the credit to rez. He gets better as an economic card if you upgrade his server with Simone Diego.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Mix
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Jinteki: Replicating Perfection is going to love Successful Demonstration, wow!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mara
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Really good observations here; I've tried to collect my thoughts on the new cards and give them some reviews out of 5 stars:
http://boardgamegeek.com/article/12887952#12887952

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How the hell is Minelayer an HB card? How?! It's entirely too Jinteki to go into HB. Even at 1 influence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mychal
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tuism wrote:
How the hell is Minelayer an HB card? How?! It's entirely too Jinteki to go into HB. Even at 1 influence.

Meh. Tricky code gates are MOSTLY a Jinteki thing, but not entirely. It's like complaining that Pheromones wasn't an Anarch card...

Now, if it shifted/rearranged already installed ICE instead of installing an ICE from HQ, I might agree more. But there is plenty of precedent that HB is the most efficient at installing. (core identity, Shipment From Mirrirmorph, Haas' Pet Project). This card fits that theme nicely.

Edit: How could I forget Accelerated Beta Test!?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Smith
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mb
Tuism wrote:

Its a super server ice that triggers EtF on the runner's turn and gives extra installs without needing clicks/credits just like ABT and Mirrormorph. Seems pretty HB to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian H
United States
Anacortes
Washington
flag msg tools
Mess with the best, die like the rest.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Skylar114 wrote:
It's like complaining that Pheromones wasn't an Anarch card...

Not really, because HQ harassment is definitely a Criminal thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mychal
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MavericK96 wrote:
Skylar114 wrote:
It's like complaining that Pheromones wasn't an Anarch card...

Not really, because HQ harassment is definitely a Criminal thing.

And efficient installs are definitely an HB thing. The point I was making was that some people convince themselves that ALL code gates which effect ICE must be Jinteki and ALL tricky econ viruses must be Anarch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludovic schmidt
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
gokubb wrote:

that could be good against siphon ...

http://www.netrunneronline.com/forum/?thread=2571

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Madd Cow
msg tools
Tuism wrote:

I really wish Thomas Haas was renamed as something else and was a Jinteki card -.-

New Jinteki Dream Combo: (Not worth going for, but always fun) Whirlpool ---> Minelayer ----> Cellportal (With a hand of 5 ice and an akitaro in the root) + 3 brain trust counters. (Never going to happen, but would make my day if I ever saw it)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J F
msg tools
Would minelayer proc engineering the future's ability? It is technically a new turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Smithy

Wheaton
Illinois
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MalzanFaren wrote:
Would minelayer proc engineering the future's ability? It is technically a new turn.

Yes, it would.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Windrim
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, in re: Thomas Haas - Psychographics becomes, more or less, a "double your money" card.

I've been NBN in games and had two in my hand and only one credit or so (Code Gate, why u no pay me directly angry) - with a good tag pool (hi Data Raven etc.) you can play one for 3 advance on Tommy, sac him for 6, and hey presto! Let's fast-advance Restructured Data Pool/Mandatory Upgrades/etc.

Other thoughts:
-The Source seems like it'd actually be likely to hurt the Runner more than the Corp in most cases except pure Fast Advance - it's like installing Red Herrings on every server, enjoy any traps at all that leave you even $1 short of the $3 to steal it.

-Successful Demonstration is a great dick move - +$5 (+$6 for WC:BABW) for already suffering a loss in tempo...nowhere near broken, but I can tell it's going to piss me right off after I fail a close run and the jerk rebuilds their reserve cash seconds later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Blumklotz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
finalultros wrote:

-Successful Demonstration is a great dick move - +$5 (+$6 for WC:BABW) for already suffering a loss in tempo...nowhere near broken, but I can tell it's going to piss me right off after I fail a close run and the jerk rebuilds their reserve cash seconds later.

This card may make Big ICE viable vs. Criminal again. You spend credits to rez big ICE. Normally you play big ETR ICE and then it gets shutdown. Now you can rez it and then re-rez it or pay for something else. Suddenly Forged Activation Orders becomes a better econ denial card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Gabel
United States
Ooltewah
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Secretly John Masanori
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm surprised no one is talking Thomas Haas in a Wayland deck. Lots of free advancement tokens and great for making money for your big ICE.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Micheal Keane
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Pictured: Rags Raggerson, successful businesscat
mb
Damocles346 wrote:
I'm surprised no one is talking Thomas Haas in a Wayland deck. Lots of free advancement tokens and great for making money for your big ICE.

Weyland-Because We Built It's credits can only be used to advance ice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.