Subject: how to tell the 0 on the d10? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Charles Ting
Malaysia
Sibu
Sarawak
flag msg tools
There are all kinds of rolls in the game: *Engine Damage, scout, *Ridge Evasion, attacks, *Bingo Fuel, *SAR and *Battalion movement ( am I missing anything else?). Some are straightforward as they clearly have a 10 on the reference chart. GBU-16 has a 0 hit, but we know it can only mean a 10. which ones are 0 when you roll a 0?

Sorry if this seems to be a dumb question. I don't play often and regularly because normally I can only do so this when I'm alone, free from distractions, so I tend to forget/get confused with these trival stuff every here and there, now and then. (And I probably need to write a player aid to help me remember)
thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Train gamer, Euro gamer and War gamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
charlesting wrote:
There are all kinds of rolls in the game: *Engine Damage, scout, *Ridge Evasion, attacks, *Bingo Fuel, *SAR and *Battalion movement ( am I missing anything else?). Some are straightforward as they clearly have a 10 on the reference chart. GBU-16 has a 0 hit, but we know it can only mean a 10. which ones are 0 when you roll a 0?

The 0 on the die is always a 10.

Quote:
The Die
Whenever a die roll is called for in the game, roll a ten-sided
die (d10). This will generate random numbers from 1 to 10.
Some dice have numbers ranging from 1 to 10, others range
from 0 to 9. Treat the die’s “0” face as being a “10”.

So a GBU-16 is pretty much an auto hit (I suppose it could be a miss if you roll a 1 and have a -2 modifier?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Ting
Malaysia
Sibu
Sarawak
flag msg tools
Quote:
So a GBU-16 is pretty much an auto hit (I suppose it could be a miss if you roll a 1 and have a -2 modifier?)

Can any modified roll results go below 0? I'm not sure if an Independent weapon is THAT cheap to expend, because other weapons need at least 4+ to hit (pre-modified value)

Quote:
The 0 on the die is always a 10.

Now that I think through this, I think you're right. It does make sense. Actually the Bingo Fuel and Battalion movement were my confusion in particular.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Train gamer, Euro gamer and War gamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
charlesting wrote:
Can any modified roll results go below 0?
I would think so, although I don't know for sure. But if not, then the GBU-16 is always a hit.

I'm not sure if the FAQ makes it any more clear:
Quote:
The "0" on the die is a 10, it says so on page 3.
The 0 on the GBU-10 is actually a zero. That means it hits. It also means an auto-hit if there's a -
1 to the die roll for some reason. If there's a -2 to the die roll it will hit on 1, etc. So it's the premodification to-hit number.

By my math a pre-mod die roll of 1 would be a miss with -2, but since the FAQ is discussing modifiers, I infer that it can go below 0. Otherwise there would be no need for determining modifiers or even any need to roll the die for a GBU-16.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Joining this conversation really late, as I just opened the box, so the game is "New" to me!

Note that the GBU-16 is NOT an "auto hit" when attacking Buildings and Tanks. To successfully damage a building, you'd need to roll a, "4" as buildings have a "-4" modifier. And to hit a tank, you'd need a, "2"... Almost "auto-hit" but not quite.

Of course the above examples are sans any other modifiers.

Now, why a standing building is so hard to damage in this game is beyond me, but that's a different conversation!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

It's not a matter of hard to damage, it's a matter of hard to damage enough to deny it's usefulness to the enemy. That's what I figure, anyway. Assume they're tough buildings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
andreww wrote:
Assume they're tough buildings.

If a building still provides useful capability after being hit with a GBU-16, then it is one hell of a tough building!

But I can see where that could be the case, so I guess that a 60% chance of damaging a building with a GBU-16 is fair, after all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Yes, a thousand pounds of TNT (or the equivalent) is a lot, but you can also assume it's a very large building, perhaps spread out, not vertical. A near miss will destroy part of the building, knock out the water and power, but the equipment and files on the far side are just fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.