10 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Avarage board game weight rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Latest Pursuit
msg tools
Hey guys

we are designing a board game that has about 30 miniature figures (4-6cm height)with about 200 cards in total. The actual map board is a 4 tiles of 30cm x 42cm map board.

The game box will be about 35cm x 45cm.

I am trying to estimate the weight of the box. Do you guys think this will be less than 5kg?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Aldridge
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Infinite Dreams Gaming
badge
Warehouse 13: The Board Game
mbmbmbmbmb
Best way to figure out the weight of your prospective game is to find equivalent components from board games you own and weigh that.

You do have other board games, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill the Pill
United States
Oneonta
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
Yes. Sounds like half that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Suggestion: Try to make the box size similar to some other games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no average.

A game weighs what it will weigh. You will not know this untill you have all the components in the box and weigh it.

Mice and Mystics is about 27x 27cm or so and it one of the heaviest games I've gotten in a while. Whereas my Monsterpocalypse 2 player battle box is larger than the MM one but weighs less, and has about 2 to 3 times the minis which are substantially larger and harder plastics. A dragon Dice starter box is fairly small, but it has a definite heft to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick answer:

We'll assume that your hypothetical game box is around 70mm tall, which seems a pretty common kind of height - that's how tall my Arkham Horror box is. That gives it a volume of (0.35 * 0.45 * 0.07 =) 0.011m^3.

So if you filled that box entirely - every millilitre of it - with water (1000kg/m^3), it would only mass 11kg (0.011 * 1000).

You're probably not filling more than half of the actual volume with things, because miniatures are pretty hard to perfectly tessellate in 3D space, and you know that all the things you plan to put in your box are lighter than water because they all float.

Tailored answer:

Some quick calculations based on the stack of 120gsm paper next to me.

- I'd estimate the density of that paper stack to be roughly 900kg/m^3; 200 cards should approximately be (measuring the ones from my handy copy of Citadels and extrapolating) (0.06 * 0.056 * 0.088) 2.96x10^-4 m^3, which equates to 0.266kg - call it 0.3 for a conservative estimate.

- Assuming that your map tiles are a generous 4mm thick (they aren't; that's thicker than the boards for the 2009 reprint of Space Hulk) then each one has a volume of (0.004 * 0.3 * 0.42) 5.04x10^-4 m^3, for a mass of 0.454kg - again, let's call it 0.5 to be on the safe side, 2kg in total for all 4 boards.

- If your box is made of the same super-card (which would be expensive and over the top) then the volume of the card making up the box is:
(0.004 * 0.07 * 0.35) * 4 +
(0.004 * 0.07 * 0.45) * 4 +
(0.004 * 0.35 * 0.45) * 2
= 2.16x10^-3 m^3 for a mass of 1.9kg. Let's call it 2.

- The figures are the hardest part to estimate, 'cause it's difficult to get an idea of the volume. I'm going to take a random stab-in-the-dark guess that an average 30mm (Warhammer-style) figure is around 6mm deep front-to-back on average, and around 10mm wide on average... so if we double all those measurements (the same factor as we need to scale the 30mm height to your maximum 60mm), we have a volume for the figures of (0.03 * 0.02 * 0.012 * 30) 2.16x10^-4 m^3. If we assume that these figures have the same density as water (I bet they don't, 'cause all the plastics I've seen minis made of float) then that gives them a mass of 0.216kg. Call it 0.3kg just to be extra paranoid!

That's a total of 0.3 + 2 + 2 + 0.3 = 4.6kg, with conservative estimates taken at nearly every turn, including very heavy plastics used for the minis and unrealistically thick card used for the boards and box. Given that you're probably going to be dealing with a box made of quarter the thickness of card maximum, and boards probably half the thickness, you should easily have enough weight spare in 5kg to get a nice injection-moulded tray in to keep everything from rattling around!

Of course, the easiest way to find out would be to mock all of this up with as-similar-as-you-can-get materials and weigh it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Trzonkowski
United States
Whitsett
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Random knowledge that may help. Havok & Hijinks has 84 cards. The cards alone (no box, rules, etc) weighed in at exactly 4.5 oz.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liz Spain
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can redesign your boards and the game box to fit into a Medium size Flat Rate Priority mailing box you will save a ton on shipping costs if you're in the US.

To give you an idea, the standard size game box that games like Ticket to Ride and Last Night on Earth come in fits the medium Flat Rate Box perfectly, with about 6 cm of space in the lengthwise dimension.

Shrinking your box and boards a teeny bit to fit into a 29.7 by 7cm by approximately 35cm space would mean you wouldn't have to care one bit how heavy your game is for US shipping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. Gerald Fitzsimons
Ireland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Use Amazon to get game weights. Look near the bottom of the page (Product information).

Catan:
Item Weight 2 pounds

Pandemic:
Item Weight 2.3 pounds

7 Wonders:
Item Weight 2.8 pounds

Ticket To Ride:
Item Weight 2.8 pounds

Pandemic Legacy:
Item Weight 4.6 pounds

Dead of Winter
Item Weight 4.1 pounds

Scythe
Item Weight 7 pounds

Gloomheaven
Item Weight 20 pounds

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goh
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like to use the create-a-game editor www.thegamecrafter.com to roughly gauge the weight of my game -- they have a huge variety of components plus a really good editor that accurately predicts the weight of everything. If you select a game box, the editor will even predict whether or not the components you've chosen will fit (though this feature probably won't be useful to you as you have custom miniatures)

Hope this helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.