Riccardo Menozzi
Italy
Reggio Emilia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone, this is my first attempt ever to design a board game!

In The Alchemist (name WIP) you take the role of an elder and erudite alchemist that, after a life-long of adventuring, experimenting and exploring, has finally decided to spend the final years of his life in peace.

Or at least, that was your thought, until an old book fell off your shelf, a book you never read, and in that you found an old legend about the most ancient and powerful artifact of this world.
It has to be said: you thought about it for almost an entire second, before packing your stuff and leaving trough the door, for the adventure that may be the greatest, and also the last one, of your life.

Core gameplay: At the base of the game there is the journey that will bring you from your home to the ruins of the ancient city where the Artifact should be located.
You will travel through a series of Stages, each with their own event deck. You will also come up against some peaceful and quiet locations called Safe Zones (SZ), where you will be able to rest and maybe find someone that can help you completing your quest.

During your journey you will find ingredients that you can mix to create Potions, Extracts, Elixirs and Bombs (you're a badass alchemist after all!).
You will also be able to bring some of your own Artifacts, that you found during your numerous adventures (maybe you will also find new ones, who knows)
Combat will be fairly simple, as I plan to have 3 tier of enemies (easy, medium and hard). If some of you played Utopia Engine, I really liked that system, so that's where I'm heading right now.

Exploring: I thought about making a linear but compelling experience: you will travel through a "line" of locations, meaning you will always go from point A to B to C etc. The events deck will add a random and replayability flavor.
To actually succeed in exploring, you'll have to "travel" a certain distance (for example, if the Junkyard decks has 9 cards, you need to pass at least 5 to "find" the right way to proceed to the Jungle)
Back tracking is allowed and will be heartily suggested.

Here's a prototype of the Locations "line"

Quote:
Home (SZ) -> Junkyard -> Jungle -> Village (SZ) -> Mountain -> Cave (SZ) -> Ancient City

For now, those are my completed ideas, sorry if it was long but I'm still brainstorming!
Please share your thoughts and also any opinion on what is bad and what you think would be cool to put in!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Bennett
United States
Rougemont
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Play. Always.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds cool! How complex are thinking of making the potion-creation? That seems like it could be a very interesting system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riccardo Menozzi
Italy
Reggio Emilia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pusherman42 wrote:
Sounds cool! How complex are thinking of making the potion-creation? That seems like it could be a very interesting system.
I didn't think about it in details yet, it will surely have a failure chance (using one or more dice), but the failed potions will become unstable, and may be used for something else.

I also wanted to make every potion unique and powerful, so I thought of making them require multiple components to craft and adding a limit to the amount you can carry to balance them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kuhns, party of four!
United States
Muncy
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
...the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise.
mbmbmbmbmb
Love the idea-especially the story evolution. I have in my mind (and on a few pieces of notebook paper) a similar story/card crawl mechanic. I'll follow this with interest! One thing that I had thought of was to make the travel a little less linear. Give the player the opportunity once they've completed the first level/area or whatever to choose between areas with different advantages/disadvantages in different areas. Take it or leave it, but it's one of those things I was thinking of as I sat staring at my game skeleton and wondering how to make the choices more interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
If given the option, I would prefer to play with the green pieces, please.
badge
I have two new 9 Card Games: 300 Spartans and Franky's 1st Christmas
mbmbmbmbmb
The entry deadline for the 2013 Solitaire Print and Play Contest is Midnight (MST) October 5th. Will this game be complete by that time? If not, the game will be removed from the entry list but will be eligible to be entered in next year's contest.

Thanks! I hope to see more about this game soon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls