The Eastern Front: 1914-1917» Forums » General

Subject: Is it worth an investment... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Łukasz
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
Non vi sed virtute, not armis sed arte paritur victoria.
badge
e^{i · π} + 1 = 0
mb
...if:

1. I will play exclusively scenarios, not campaign unless SPW releases a decent Vassal module,
2. I will rarely, if ever, play it FtF, focusing mostly on PBEMs, medium does not matter but Vassal is strongly preferred.

I promised myself not to buy a game without a Vassal support but these games receive so much praise in here and on CSW, my will is weakening. What do you say?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
darby mcd
msg tools
If you are interested in the topic, they are definitely worthwhile. Personally, the East Front game is the most interesting to me, and probably will fit the bill best for you. It has several very interesting situations that make nice, contained scenarios. The action is more fluid than the Western Front, and poses interesting operational puzzles. I learned a great deal about this area of operations after playing this game, as I had known virtually nothing about it other than Tannenberg. And they are very close to coming out with a Vassal mod so fear not!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip White
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely. The scenarios in this game vary widely in size and scope, so each one feels differently than the others. That, plus the ability to combine various scenarios in different ways, keeps things fresh. This is the best introductory set to the Der Weltkrieg system for just that reason.

Also, there is already a VASSAL module for the Tannenberg/Galicia scenarios. And, as darby pointed out, a full-system VASSAL module is due out soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Levandowski
United States
Pittsburg
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just pulled the trigger on purchasing the entire system...just because of the new vassal module. I will never be able to set the full map up, and leave it up forever. But with vassal, it will be easy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.